- Glue gun
- Soldering iron
- Screwdriver (cross-tip)
- Autometer shift lite PN#5340
- Thinnest gauge speaker wire you can find
- Light emitting diode or LED (go to electronics store)
- Resistors for diode or LED
When purchasing resistors, make sure to tell your salesman
that your power source for the LED or diode is 12V, or you will blow the
light! They will tell you which resistors to buy. REMEMBER: When doing
this installation, NEATNESS and ACCURACY count!
- Remove the gauge cluster from dash
- Separate the instrument cover.
- Drill hole where you want light (small hole so speaker wires can
pass through 1/8' bit)
- Run wires from LED or diode through hole, now using glue gun, bond
the light to the instrument cover. Glue through hole for cleaner install.The
light must be mounted on outside of cluster cover.
- Solder resistors to positive lead from LED or diode.
- Solder speaker wires to leads from LED or diode.
- Using glue gun, route the wires around gauge openings and bond wires
to backside of cluster cover. Route wires to exit the side of the cluster
toward the center of car.
- Dissemble Autometer shift lite, separating the stand from the body.
Remove lens cover, unplug the light bulb. Attach another section of
speaker wire to the light bulb socket in the base of shift lite. Secure
connections by soldering (seal connections with glue gun also-if desired).
- You can either leave the plug in module attached to body of light
or make extension wires and mount module plug-in anywhere you like.
Just remember which wire connects to each other. Mount body of shift
lite behind or under dash.
- Route wires from cluster cover to wires from body and connect.
Make sure all connections are taped or heat shrink tubed. Plug in
RPM pills and turn on ignition.