Shelby and Ford Racing Building up to 37 2009 Shelby GT R Models
By All Ford Mustang News
Jan 30, 2009 - 7:25:00 PM
SHELBY AUTOS AND FORD RACING TO OFFER UP TO 37
2009 SHELBY GT “R MODEL” JERRY TITUS EDITION
TRACK CARS TO THE PUBLIC
New Shelby Honors Jerry Titus for Winning SCCA Championship with First “R” Model
• Shelby Autos and Ford Racing will offer up to 37 of the ultimate track day car
• Based on the Ford Shelby GT Mustang with an estimated 550-hp 4.6-liter supercharged V-8, a 3.73:1 rear axle ratio, roll cage, six speed manual and unique suspension tuning
LAS VEGAS, JAN. 29, 2009 – Four decades after Shelby and Ford collaborated on a race version of the legendary Mustang, the companies are offering a limited edition track day version of the Ford Shelby GT. Ford Racing and Shelby Automobiles, a wholly owned subsidiary of Carroll Shelby International Inc., (CSBI.PK) will commemorate the 1965 SCCA championship of Jerry Titus and final production of the current generation Mustang by offering up to 37 total 550 horsepower Shelby GT “R Model”. The 2009 Shelby GT “R Model” will be available for US$134,995.
“In 1965, my team built 37 small block ‘R Model’ race-only versions of the Shelby GT350 Mustang that kicked tails on circuits worldwide,” said Carroll Shelby, founder of Shelby Automobiles. “Working with Ford Racing, we’re going to build a new track day ‘R Model’ version of the Ford Shelby GT. It’ll be lots of fun to drive and ready to rip up the pavement right out of the box.”
The track day car will be featured as a “Jerry Titus Drivers Edition” to honor his 1965 “B Production” championship, which was the first for a Shelby Mustang. Jerry was one of the special drivers who piloted Shelby Mustangs to total domination on the track. Not only did he win the first championship, he broke the story of the “R Model” to the world in Sports Car Graphic and was instrumental in its development. The 2009 Jerry Titus Edition “R Model” lives up to his performance legacy.
The “R Model” version of the Mustang will be a purpose-built track car based on the same 4.6-liter V8 that powers every Ford Shelby GT; the vehicles cannot be registered for the street. Additional power will come from the Ford Racing/Whipple Twin Screw intercooled supercharger installed by Shelby and mated to a T6060 GT500-based six speed transmission before the Shelby team inserts them into the race-ready chassis. Each will be painted white with silver stripes and documented in the Shelby Registry. The racer qualifies for the NASA “American Iron Extreme” class and an excellent all-around track car that is uniquely Shelby.
“From the competition brakes to the straight pipes, this fantastic car is worthy of the ‘R Model’ designation,” stated Amy Boylan President of Shelby Automobiles. “Working closely with Ford Racing, we engineered a car with the balanced handling, serious power and spectacular brakes that serious enthusiasts want. And just like the car driven by Jerry Titus in 1965, this Ford Shelby GT ‘R Model’ showcases our expertise in an affordable, turnkey package.”
The “R Model” is based on the 2007-08 model Ford Shelby GT. The streetcar is a well-balanced, fun to drive machine that leveraged Shelby’s experience making Mustangs go faster.
“The Shelby name has stood for performance since Carroll began building cars for the track in 1962,” added Brian Wolfe, director. Ford North America Motorsports. “Track Day enthusiasts have been asking for a contemporary Shelby and Ford Track Car for some time, so we at Ford Racing are pleased to team up with Shelby Automobiles to build a handful of very special cars. We look forward to watching them roar past Camaros and Challengers when they show up at the track.”
2009 Ford Shelby GT “R Model” track day car highlights:
• 4.6-liter supercharged V-8 producing an estimated 550-horsepower
• 6-speed manual transmission with GT500 clutch, Ford Racing short-throw shifter and 3.73:1 gears
• Grand-Am spec roll cage
• Upgraded cooling system including differential and transmission coolers
• Shelby performance side exhaust system
• Lightweight production chassis with tuned suspension tuning including new springs,
• Shelby-designed 18-inch wheels with racing tires
• Racing brakes with front brake cooling ducts
• Unique grill featuring classic Shelby ‘R Model’ design
• ‘Shelby’ lettering across the front edge of hood and rear decklid, Shelby badges on the quarter panels
• Carbon fiber rear racing wing with billet stanchions and carbon fiber splitter
• White with silver stripes livery and racing mirrors
• Carroll Shelby autograph on each car and official Shelby “R Model” dash plate
A limited number will be built; orders will be accepted starting today by calling Shelby Autos at (702) 942-7325.
AllFordMustangs.com, Copyright 2002-2010 All Auto Enthusiasts Network