Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oil Capacity on a 2003 Mustang GT?

30K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  RandyStinchcomb 
#1 ·
Hello,

I was doing some homework trying to find out just how many quarts of oil the 4.6L takes. I came across several different numbers, most websites claimed 6 quarts, others 7 quarts. I also ran into a contractor at work who told me he also has a 2003 GT he's modifying. He claims to run the car about 1/2 quart low because it creates more power. This being some of the biggest ******** i've ever heard(my other car is a supra and running low oil there the first thing I'm looking at is my bearings going out followed by a rod or two). Has anyone ever heard such talk about the 4.6? I'm not going to be the first to try but I'm curious if this guy was just high or if anyone is actually doing this.

#2 ·
Maximum capacity of a 2003 4.6 is 6qts unless you have an after-market pan. The half quart low thing isn't going to give you maximum horsepower. Maybe closer to a full 2 quarts or on the minimum line of your dipstick. It's an old racers trick it keeps the crankshaft from spinning in oil reducing windage.

G
#5 ·
when my Gt still had the stock 5qt pan on it, I too would race it a quart low to help cut down on crankshaft windage and even later on wth my Canton 7qt oil pan and full length Canton windage tray, I only ran 6 qts of oil in the pan....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.