Ford Mustang Forum banner

302 horse power

30K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  Smurf stang 
#1 ·
I am going back and forth on whether or not I want to keep the stock 302 or swap it out for a 351w. If I keep the 302 I am going to bore it and stroke it. How much horse power can you get out of a 302 bored 0.030 over with good cam, intake, and everything else. Looking at getting around the 400 mark at the rear wheels. Does anyone now if this is possible?

#2 ·
302 Building 400 Horses

Getting 400 h.p. out of a 302 is achievable. If you bore it over .030 and run a moderate cam, you'll get about 350 h.p. Figure you port the heads a bit, and and mount a decent four-barrel on it, then you've hit around 400. Lets not forget that you can buy a 347 stroker kit for it. Then you'd be past 400 by a bit. 351W's can build 400 easy too. It's just a matter of what you like better, 302 or 351. :bigthumbsup

#4 ·
Getting 400 h.p. out of a 302 is achievable. If you bore it over .030 and run a moderate cam, you'll get about 350 h.p. Figure you port the heads a bit, and and mount a decent four-barrel on it, then you've hit around 400. Lets not forget that you can buy a 347 stroker kit for it. Then you'd be past 400 by a bit. 351W's can build 400 easy too. It's just a matter of what you like better, 302 or 351. :bigthumbsup
What do you consider a moderate cam? also what are the RISK you take by redoing the heads on a 114k engine and putting back together for a while, not quite ready to do a complete rebuild. I posted this before but got no reply. so I'm hitching a ride on this fellas thread.:happyhapp

#3 ·
400 hp at the rear wheels means 420 to 430 at the crank. You will need good after market heads, a good cam, dual plane intake, 650 cfm carb, headers and good ignition to make that kind of power from a 302.

Check online under Crate engines. Most builders will list components used to make a variety of horse power from small block fords. This will give you a good idea of the components needed to make the power you want.

#6 ·
my 302 in 66, gt 40 heads, dual plane performer, 0.30 over, mild cam, roller rockers, holley 600, msd hei ignition, hooker headers, c-4 with shift kit and 9 in rear end everything port and polished,balanced,and blueprinted 2500.00 and you get 390 at the crank and around 360 370 at the rear wheels on the dyno.

#9 ·
my 302 in 66, gt 40 heads, dual plane performer, 0.30 over, mild cam, roller rockers, holley 600, msd hei ignition, hooker headers, c-4 with shift kit and 9 in rear end everything port and polished,balanced,and blueprinted 2500.00 and you get 390 at the crank and around 360 370 at the rear wheels on the dyno.
Maybe you can give me some Idea what mine is.

302/0.60 over Isky racing cam (Not sure which one yet, but it is a racing setup) 11:1 aluminum pistons. Otherwise similar to your setup.

3.55 9" rear end (I have the 4.11s) C-6 with about $4000 worth of B&M parts and other. I haven't tried it yet, but supposedly, it'll run low to mid 11's in a 1/4. I do know that it can be nearly be uncontrollable if you're not careful and don't respect it as a piece of equipment.

#7 ·
66 ....... thats not bad ............ I just may use the same formula with my 68

#8 ·
drew

850 is to much carb for a smallblock you'll spend a lot of time adjusting and adjusting (air, fuel, timing, vaccuum) ive got a 69 camaro with a 454 and went with a 850 on it ran like **** adjusted constantly finally went down to a 650 and a little timing adjustment and she ran smooth as silk, 600-650 is plenty for a 302. thats just my expereince and opinion.

#12 ·
this is it, to get 400 out of an N/A 302 your going to have to have heads with huge runners and valves and a devistating valve train. You will wind up changing a lot of other stuff in the process as well, torque conv, rear gears, yadda yadda.

#13 ·
this is it, to get 400 out of an N/A 302 your going to have to have heads with huge runners and valves and a devistating valve train. You will wind up changing a lot of other stuff in the process as well, torque conv, rear gears, yadda yadda.
Exactly. The guy who owned it before me has ten grand in receipts just for the engine, He has another $2,000 in receipts for the engine that he hasn't found yet. That would be 1990 dollars, not 2010 dollars. Lot's of titanium parts, The only thing "Ford" in the upper part of the engine is the castings for the heads. Everything else is Chevrolet. LOTS of machining in the heads. Oversized Chevrolet valves. This was being built for all-out drag racing. Devastating valve train? Yeah, you betcha'! A guy named Rex Hutchinson (Rex Hutchinson Racing) put this engine together. Balanced, blueprinted Etc. The only thing I regret is not being the guy who had this built so I can't take any credit for it. I just bought it. I don't regret putting the nearly $20,000 in the drive train though. Only reason I was sold this car is because the guy has too many projects and he made me and my wife promise to take care of it and do something with it.

#17 ·
after almost a year! i still have to hit the B/S button! valve seats, sliders, and pushrods.... really?:nono: titainium is a "springy" material. not too good for pushrods or seats. on the pushrod side of the rocker arm strength is WAY more important than weight, does not make any sense.

#25 ·
i guess you did not read either of your links.... neither one is titanium! :nono: and titanium rods too....un-believable...all in a street engine.:worship:worship:worship and BTW, it the engine has more than a few hundred miles it is time to replace those disposable rods. :winks

#29 ·
i have a 302 in my 65. 570 holley street avenger, edelbrock performer intake (swapping to rpm airgap soon), comp cam's High energy cam, and world products windsor jr heads. im at about 400 rwhp.

#31 · (Edited)
i just installed a set of heads and a full valve train upgrade last night....:nono: and it doesnt have to be stroked. a 347 can pull 600 rwhp... so why couldnt a stock stroke pull 4?:winks you dont even know if im bored out or not! tell me more about my motor, since you know what its pushing...:gringreen

#35 ·
i am running the same setup at the link i posted. they are pulling 425 i believe, and it is out of a stock stroke and bore.... nobody knows what bore i even have, or my cam durations and lifts, what pistons i have, if i have hydraulic or solid setup, cast iron crank or steel crank. every little thing adds hp. and if im beating 08 mustangs from 0-80 with a 2.80 rear end ratio before heads, i cant be at 300 hp AFTER getting these heads installed. but okay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.