Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GT500KR Not street legal???

14K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  oldlugs 
#1 ·
ok so i saw on a window sticker the GT500KR is not street legal seemed kinda odd to be able to sell the car but not be able to drive it:nogrinner

Vehicle Description

VIN 1ZVHT88S895140793
MUSTANG
2009 SHELBY COUPE
5.4L SC 4V V8 ENGINE
6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION
Exterior
BRILLIANT SILVER
Interior
DARK CHARCOAL

Standard Equipment INCLUDED AT NO EXTRA CHARGE

EXTERIOR

. 18" X 9.5" MACH ALUM WHLS
. ALUM HOOD W/AIR EXTRACTORS
. LEMANS TOP STRIPES WITH GT500 SIDE ROCKER STRIPES
. SHELBY GT500 BADGING
. FOG LAMPS
. REAR DECKLID SPOILER
INTERIOR

. SPORT BUCKET SEATS WITH EMBOSSED COBRA LOGO
. AIR CONDITIONING
. LIGHT-TONED CLUSTER GAUGES WITH BOOST GAUGE
. SHAKER 500 AUDIO SYSTEM AM/FM IN-DASH 6CD/MP3 CAPABL W/AUX JACK
. SIRIUS SAT RADIO N/A AK/HI
FUNCTIONAL

. PWR WIN, LOC, MIRRORS, RKE
. BREMBO FRONT BRAKES 14" VENTED DISC & CALIPER
. SVT TUNED SUSPENSION
. TUNED STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST WITH X-PIPE
. HIGH PERFORMANCE TIRES P255/45ZR18 - FRONT P285/40ZR18 - REAR
SAFETY/SECURITY

. ABS/TRACTION CONTROL
. DRIVER/PASSENGER AIR BAGS
. SIDE AIRBAGS
. PERSONAL SAFETY SYSTEM
. LATCH CHILD SAFETY SYSTEM
. SECURILOCK PASS ANTI THEFT
. TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR SYS
WARRANTY

. 3YR/36000 BUMPER TO BUMPER
. 5YR/60,000 POWERTRAIN
. 5YR/60,000 ROADSIDE ASSIST

Price InformationMSRP STANDARD VEHICLE PRICE$42,685 Optional Equipment 2009 MODEL YEAR BRILLIANT SILVER BLACK W/BLACK ACCENT LTHR .5.4L SC 4V V8 ENGINE .6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION FRONT FLOORMAT DELETE REAR SPOILER DELETE SHELBY AUTOMOBILES 50 STATE EMISSIONS 3.73 RATIO LIMITED SLIP AXLE TAPE STRIPE DELETE OVER THE TOP STRIPE DELETE HID HEADLAMPS$525 AMBIENT LIGHTING$295 SHELBY GT500KR PACKAGE GT500 PREMIUM TRIM PACKAGE$595 SHAKER 1000 AUDIO SYSTEM$1,295 TOTAL VEHICLE & OPTIONS$45,395 DESTINATION & DELIVERY$795 TOTAL MSRP$46,190 Disclaimer: Option pricing will be blank for any item that is priced as 0 or "No Charge".

Estimated Annual Fuel Cost: $
CITY MPG

HIGHWAY MPG

Vehicle Engine Information
NOT STREET LEGAL
Actual mileage will vary with options, driving conditions, driving habits and vehicle's condition. Results reported to EPA indicate that the majority of vehicles with these estimates will achieve between and mpg in the city and between and mpg on the highway.
For Comparison Shopping all vehicles classified as have been issued mileage ratings from to mpg city and to mpg highway.

Ford Extended Service Plan is the ONLY service contract backed by Ford and honored by over 5,100 Ford and Lincoln-Mercury retailers. Ask your retailer for prices and additional details or see our website at www.Ford-ESP.com

See less See more
#5 ·
That sounds like the sticker that's on the car before it goes to Shelby to get the KR package. The car is not complete yet.
Definitely sounds like the sticker put on a GT500 for shipment to Shelby for assembly to be completed there, which turns it into a KR. Usually see those "window stickers" on-line at dealers as place holders until the car is completed at Shelby.

#8 ·
it say not street legal or not for sale. because when it comes from ford it is not finished. it has to go to shelby to get the s/c and the rest of the kr package. only then is it for sale and street legal. it has to have the shelby price adjustment window sticker on it to sell it.. to after it comes from shelby the ford sticker is no good.

oh side note when i bought my gt the sticker on it said not for sale in california or states with california strict emission standards. i was like wtf?

#9 ·
That's because they have a California Emmisions package for those states.

#11 ·
They can't sell it, but they still have a price on it. Makes perfect sense, right? :shigrin

#16 ·
I saw on a window sticker the GT500KR is not street legal seemed kinda odd to be able to sell the car but not be able to drive it.
Vehicle Description VIN 1ZVHT88S895140793 MUSTANG 2009 SHELBY COUPE
Sounds like the sticker put on a GT500 for shipment to Shelby for assembly to be completed there, to turn it into a KR. Usually see those "window stickers" on-line at dealers as place holders until the car is completed at Shelby.
Yeah. My original post was an internet window sticker from the local dealer.
The car doesnt come witha VIN # from Ford. Shelby completes the car and assigns a VIN # this is why the FORD sticker says NOT 50 STATE LEGAL.
The car most certainly DOES get its VIN generated at Ford (and NOT at Shelby). If you see the above excerpts from the various posts in this thread, the first post shows the VIN already. My earlier post notes that those kind of window stickers for GT500KRs are often seen on-line at dealers and are place holders after the car is built by Ford (as a GT500) and before it is converted into a KR at Shelby. Then the original poster verified that the window sticker he was using as an example was indeed taken off the internet.

#17 ·
Well I have a KR in my town at the dealership. It had a picture of the KR covering that part that says thats its not street legal or whatever. Just like this one in the pic.

Attachments

#19 ·
If you manage to find a GT500KR in a showroom and you see the stickers among all their "Do Not Touch" signs there is a 2nd window sticker usually located in the front window. This is shelby's sticker adding the extra 30~ grand or however much it is to it to get the the KR's true price. (Felt like an idiot at a dealership becuase i didn't relize this and thought to myself, oh 45k isn't that bad and guy was like its 80.. i was like huh? :headscratch: then he pointed other sticker out)

#20 ·
The "TRUE" Shelby

Stlwagon is totally correct...The GT500KR is the only Shelby that is made at the Shelby facility from start to finish. I own a 2009 Vapor Silver GT500 and was going to put the SuperSnake package on it. After speaking with the GM of Shelby Autos I found out exactly what was stated above. The GT500 and all other Shelbys are NOT made at the Shelby Factory. There is an agreement btw Carroll and Ford to allow Ford to make the Shelbys at some Ford locations. That is why they lack the CSM number ans plaque. The only "TRUE" Shelby is the KR. The KR is born at the Shelby facility, assembled at the facility and given all of the Shelby components that all other Shelbys lack. They are truly Shelby through and through, that is why the come with the signed (It's a stamped signature) plaque and the CSM number to identify the number of the car is. Sorry to burst some bubbles...

#21 ·
The GT500KR is the only Shelby that is made at the Shelby facility from start to finish. I own a 2009 Vapor Silver GT500 and was going to put the SuperSnake package on it. After speaking with the GM of Shelby Autos I found out the GT500 and all other Shelbys are NOT made at the Shelby Factory. There is an agreement between Carroll and Ford to allow Ford to make the Shelbys at some Ford locations. That is why they lack the CSM number and plaque. The only "TRUE" Shelby is the KR. The KR is born at the Shelby facility, assembled at the facility and given all of the Shelby components that all other Shelbys lack. They are truly Shelby through and through, that is why the come with the signed (It's a stamped signature) plaque and the CSM number to identify the number the car is.
Not entirely correct.
There are three categories of S197 Shelby Mustangs:

Shelbys authorized by Carroll Shelby to be assembled entirely by Ford include the GT500 (the '07 to '09 and the new 2010 GT500s).

Shelbys first assembled at Ford and shipped to Shelby for final assembly/conversion (known as pre-title Shelbys, since the conversion happens before the cars are sold by Ford dealers) These include the Shelby GT and Shelby GT-H (converted from Mustang GTs) and Shelby GT500KR (converted from GT500s).

Mustangs assembled entirely at Ford and sold to customers, who then take them to Shelby for conversion into Shelbys (known as post-title Shelbys, since the conversion happens after the cars are sold by Ford dealers). These include the Shelby SuperSnake (converted from GT500s) and CS8 (converted from Mustang GTs) and CS6 and Terlingua Shelbys (converted from V6 Mustangs).

All cars converted at Shelby get a dash plaque hand-signed by Carroll Shelby (they accumulate several orders before having him sign a group of plates, which contributes to a delay in availability). However, Shelby recognizes all GT500s as true Shelbys, and sells hand-signed dash plaques with the VIN engraved on the plate (there is no sequential number assigned by Sheby since they do not visit the Shelby facility). Several of us GT500 owners here on AFM have ordered and received the engraved Shelby plaques hand-signed in black Sharpie marker by Carroll Shelby.

#23 ·
Here is exactly what the sticker says:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2427/4069525499_632e1a7521_o.jpg

This is on the sticker placed in the window by Ford, before shipping it to SAI for completion. Shelby does the final finishing of the car, and after they place their sticker on the windshield, the car is legal for sale. It's not all that hard to figure out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.