Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

UPR Oil Catch Can Install Pix

21K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  UPRadam 
#1 ·
Finally got around to installing the UPR Oil Separator Catch Can. I replaced the two 8AN fittings that were on the UPR catch can with 10AN to allow direct fitment of the required 5/8" id hose running from engine to can. Aeroquip hose and fittings can be mail ordered thru Henry's Engineering. Ask for Wayne Hartley ... he helped me and knows our set-up. Can do braided if you prefer. 410 535-3142
This is a large and well made, highly machined, catch can. Lethal Performance has it a little cheaper...
UPR 05-09 Mustang Aerospace Racing Billet Catch Can Kit [UPR-BD-5031-03] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

Don't think you need one? You 'outta listen to your Uncle Mike, read this ...
Oil Separator ....Cheap Insurance? - IMBOC:gringreen

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That's a nice looking Catch Can!

I bought the Steeda unit and find the right adapters to make it work because its designed for 03/04 Cobra, i might just get this UPR unit and call it a day.

#4 ·
That's a nice looking Catch Can!

I bought the Steeda unit and find the right adapters to make it work because its designed for 03/04 Cobra, i might just get this UPR unit and call it a day.
Thanks. You won't be disappointed in the UPR can. It's heavy duty and made really well. Even has two cavities in a separate compartment with two steel mesh filters (which I removed BTW). For some reason they meant for installation on the passenger side (which is our intake side) because the UPR can has 8AN fittings with a supplied 3/8" ID hose which is worthless for our purposes being we need to filter the blow-by on the drivers side which requires a 5/8 ID hose and 10AN fittings. I got everything needed at Henry's Engineering. If you go with the UPR and can't find the fittings/hoses locally just give them a call and you can order what's needed. Ask for Wayne Hartley 410 535 3142

#5 ·
Now you tell me...lol. No really I like the idea of keeping the OEM PCV tube intact in case for some reason I ever need to put everything back to stock....like a trip to the stealership.

#10 ·
I love this site!! I was just looking at the UPR catch can and added it to my future mods list. And bang here is a nice write up with photos about it. This is gonna be my next mod. Probably do it in May.
Thanks again for the write up and photos. Very nicely done!!!

#12 ·
Slightly modified approch.

Well I took all the DIY stuff and got the parts. As I was doing the install this just seemed easier to do. And a little cleaner. did not use any of the new hose I bought. Just cut the original and that way I kept the quick dis-connects. See if you like it.

BTW just to make sure I did not F#$$ it up. The flow is from the valve cover to the manifold???

Attachments

#13 ·
Well I took all the DIY stuff and got the parts. As I was doing the install this just seemed easier to do. And a little cleaner. did not use any of the new hose I bought. Just cut the original and that way I kept the quick dis-connects. See if you like it.

BTW just to make sure I did not F#$$ it up. The flow is from the valve cover to the manifold???
That's exactly how mine was setup...

#17 ·
After doing this, would it be a good idea to change the oil?

#19 ·
Alright I got this "kit" in the mail the other day too and was trying to figure out the cheapest way to make it work since even the '05 - '09 version comes with -8AN hoses and fittings.

Here's the cheapest way I found to make it work. There are several different ways to do this with different materials, online stores, etc.
I'm going with racerpartswholesale.com:

2 Aeroquip 90 Degree Male Elbow, Steel - $16.38

Aeroquip Adapters - Aeroquip 90 Degree Male Elbow, Steel

2 Aeroquip Straight Socketless Fittings - $14.50

Socketless Fittings - Aeroquip Straight Socketless Fitting

6ft -10 Aeroquip Socketless Hose, Black - $26.22

Socketless Hose - -10 Aeroquip Socketless Hose, Black

That comes to $65.96 shiping included. If someone can beat that then I'd like to see it lol.

So if you want the UPR catch can and make it work the cheapest way you can. You're looking at $175.93 with everything shipped to your door ready to bolt up. Some freggin kit eh? :so

#20 ·
I just finished installing a whipple sc on my 2008 gt. I read where it was a good idea to install a catch can with this set up. To catch the oil vapor the catch can needs to be in series with the pcv valve to the intake of the sc. After 3 weeks of driving and a few stomps there is already 1/2 tea spoon of oil visible. I got mine from jegs for $46.99 and i like the fact that i can see the oil and the unit has a drain cot.

In the december issue of "muscle mustangs & fast fords", the picture on pg. 38 shows the catch can on the passenger side in series with the air intake & valve cover. There is no oil vapor possible at this connection. Oh well, his stang is hot.

#21 ·
Hey just wanted to chime in here to let everyone know that we do have Catch Cans for Drivers and Passenger side applications. However as you all know from reading this post there is other ways it can be mounted.
They are pretty universal, You can mount it in your trunk if you want as long as it is pulling the vacuum from the valve cover .

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.