Ford Mustang Forum banner

1968 Mustang Gauges Don't Light up or Work

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  dne' 
#1 ·
I have a 1968 and my gauges do not light up or read anything. The turn signal displays do flash and the Mustang in the center of the cluster lights up when I turn the brights on, but other than that nothing works. I checked the bulbs and that is not the problem. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should look check or look for? Please help!

#2 ·
Check your fuses in your fuse panels. Perhaps one has blown. Check all the wiring behind the instrument panel to search for exposed wiring, or wiring that's come loose/off.

Be sure to unhook the battery first!

#4 ·
IF it were your voltage regulator, your car's charging system would not work correctly and your car would die as if it's battery were dead.

#5 · (Edited)
hi, dne' here. After you've checked all the simple things for what's wrong, you may have to get a little more extreme in solving diagnostically what's wrong, a test light will be required. On backside of your instrument dash is a Constant Voltage regulator and it does exactly what it says~ maintains constant voltage to your instruments, etc. But I'm not sure if it works for the instrument lights.~ I'm ordering a new upgraded one for my '67 which controls the voltage to the system electronically thus no fluctuating needles,but I already have my instrument dash out and so it will be easy for me. I found my part on the net, The Paddock, 800-428-4319. However, I would check to see if all wires are conneted behind your instrument dash/cluster, and especially that your instrument dash is grounded, it could be that easy! Look for the simplest solution first:gringreen! :bigthumbsup
dne'
Update: just called the place to order, said they no longer were in stock :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.