Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My car will not go over 50 miles per hour!

15K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  BlueLou 
#1 ·
I had reconstructive surgery on my ACL last week (left knee). I won't be able to operate a clutch for a couple weeks so I've traded cars with my wife (her truck is an automatic). Today is the first day of the trade. I have a programmer for the Mustang. As I received it, the rev limit was set to 6800 rpms. I thought that was a little high but I left it there as I'm the only one that drives the car. Last night I figured I should set the limiter to a lower setting being that my wife would be driving it. After lowering the rev limiter in the programmer I scrolled through some of the other parameters it lets you modify. One of these parameters is a mph limit. I messed around with the setting, saw it could go down to 50 mph but then I canceled out (or so I thought). I programmed in the new rpm rev limiter and all was good.

I just received a call from my wife. I could tell by her voice that she was very concerned. She swears to me she's done nothing wrong but she's driving my car and it won't go any faster then 50 miles per hour! (Oh boy)... I tell her not to worry. That I think I have a pretty good idea what the problem is. I then proceed to explain to her about the programmer. She laughed it off but I don't think she's too happy with me. It wouldn't have been so bad if not for the fact that she has an appointment that involves driving on the Parkway. No fun driving on the GS parkway at 50 mph...

Let this be a warning to all, Beware the MPH limiter... ugh...:nogrinner

See less See more
#3 ·
I had reconstructive surgery on my ACL last week (left knee). I won't be able to operate a clutch for a couple weeks so I've traded cars with my wife (her truck is an automatic). Today is the first day of the trade. I have a programmer for the Mustang. As I received it, the rev limit was set to 6800 rpms. I thought that was a little high but I left it there as I'm the only one that drives the car. Last night I figured I should set the limiter to a lower setting being that my wife would be driving it. After lowering the rev limiter in the programmer I scrolled through some of the other parameters it lets you modify. One of these parameters is a mph limit. I messed around with the setting, saw it could go down to 50 mph but then I canceled out (or so I thought). I programmed in the new rpm rev limiter and all was good.

I just received a call from my wife. I could tell by her voice that she was very concerned. She swears to me she's done nothing wrong but she's driving my car and it won't go any faster then 50 miles per hour! (Oh boy)... I tell her not to worry. That I think I have a pretty good idea what the problem is. I then proceed to explain to her about the programmer. She laughed it off but I don't think she's too happy with me. It wouldn't have been so bad if not for the fact that she has an appointment that involves driving on the Parkway. No fun driving on the GS parkway at 50 mph...

Let this be a warning to all, Beware the MPH limiter... ugh...:nogrinner
Hey man, I have NO clue how to help you with the car problem.
I just wanted to say good luck with the knee!

I've had 5 knee surgeries and I'm 22 years old. 4 on the left and 1 on the right. I've had ligament and cartiladge repair, bone graphts, and 2 lateral releases. I know how bad it sucks. Just be careful with it, and do all the rehab that you are SUPPOSED to do.

#6 ·
Thanks a ton! 5 knee surgeries, WOW! Sport related or just bad luck?

This is my first. Mine turned out to be a new ACL, trim the meniscus and "file" down cartilage damage.

I had it done last Thursday, I'm back to work today. So far so good (knock on wood).

#5 ·
My car will not go over 50 miles per hour!
Is that why you're blue, Lou?

I did read your entire post and I do understand what you have related here. I remember a recent car commercial on TV noting the owner had the ability to program it to limit inexperienced drivers to a maximum of 80 mph. Apparently they think a 16-year-old novice driver can't get into any trouble at 75 to 80 mph.

#21 ·
All you had to do was tell her "don't worry, I think I can fix it." You didn't have to admit it's you that broke it!
I'm a horrible liar and she heard it in my voice. As soon as I heard 50 mph I said something that tipped her off. I don't remember if it was "oh boy" or "uh oh" but I said something. She immediately ask "what did you do to the car now?".... I knew I was snagged.... :nogrinner

#24 ·
I saw the post and thought you traded for a Camaro:kooky:

#26 ·
Dude that is hilarious! We played a joke on my friend. My friend kel has a 06 Evo IX MR and my buddy josh has a 05 STI. We all swapped cars, and josh got to drive kels evo. We put it on Valet Mode so it would only rev to 3k each gear so there was no spooling of the turbo. He would floor it, but it would just bang off 3k. I couldn't stop laughing.:laughlitt

#27 ·
She probably thought you did it on purpose. And i feel her pain. i almost got run off the GSP last week and i was doing 75MPH!:kooky:

#30 ·
Very funny story! :smilie

BlueLou,
After 3 Left Knee jobs (Kolege Futbul), the only time my knee doesn't hurt is when I am stomping on the clutch. Good luck and take rehab seriously.
Get well soon.

#32 ·
Thanks! It seems to be coming along really well. I had no problem pushing the clutch in last night when I was starting the car. I was tempted to take it out for a spin but I knew I would definitely catch hell from the wife for pushing it.

#31 ·
+1,000,000 on the rehab!

You don't think about it if you don't do rehab, but if you favor the leg even a little bit, the muscles weaken and guess what? You're putting even MORE stress on the joint.

Rehab sucks and it takes time and it hurts and your therapist is out to kill you, but it pays off in the end when you're able to walk again!

PS

Don't be like me and buy into a car with the clutch delete option. I did, in '05, and I hated that 'Stang so much after a year that I traded it in for a loss.
I put over 40,000 miles per year in the city rated 6th worst for traffic and it's ALL stop and go and I LOVE my stick :bigthumbsup
I'd rather own a Prius than drive an automatic again- They both have the same soul

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.