Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

what is the rarest mustang of them all?

47K views 39 replies 29 participants last post by  tgwise 
#1 ·
well folks what is it?the first one off the assembly line, the boss 302, the boss 429 ,the gt k codes? you tell me, and why.

#2 ·
I'd say Boss 429 cars and cars equipped with the SuperCobraJet

#4 ·
the rarest is the 1967 Shelby GT500KR. only 1 of them was produced. The 1968 KR only had a small amount made, around 1,000. In 1967 they produced the Shelby GT500 in larger quantities but only 1 KR.

#5 ·
Extreme69, how could there actually be a '67 GT500 KR, when the KR was introduced mid way through the '68 model year? As far as '68 KR's go, they made 933 Fastbacks and 518 Convertibles.

Rarest and most desired, are not necessarily the same thing.

The '67 GT500 EXP Convertible would get my vote. There's only one of those.

#6 ·
Of course, I may be biased, because I like '67's best.

#7 ·
Excluding Shelby Mustangs the rarest Body style/type I was able to determine is a 1968 fastback with deluxe interior and a bench seat
Body code 63C, with total production of 256 units
Of course there are the "1 of 1" if broken down by color / options
but I dont think that was the original question :gringreen

#9 ·
I vote for the 66 shelby convertibles...only 6 were made and he gave them away...clearly documented cars, they are probably the rarest, what are there 4 left?

#10 ·
I think We have the rarest 67 Mustang ever built.

It is a Pink Car, 6 Cylinder, Coupe--Yes a Factory Coupe.

Please read this closely, and follow.

No Power Steering, Manual Brakes, Factory Air, Deluxe Interior.

All this is Standard I believe, nothing special.

Now what makes it a 1 On 1 car, only one ever made, is it has a Different Radio Knobs.

Yes,!! One knob has 20 Grooves, the other has 22 Grooves.

This makes it the only Mustang with this option---Bonified, Of Course non Documented (I have to clear this with the marty report to get a paper) 67 Mustang ever Made!!

I Guess the Engine, Transmissions, Body really are not important anymore, it is the odd ball things that make a rare cars, AM I Right??

Dan

www.chockostangclassicmustang.com

#13 ·
Lots of interesting cars coming up. Neighbor had a '68' Shelby 500 KR convert, always wondered what happened to it. Anyone remember that Mustang that one of the presidents of Ford had made special for him? Maybe a 64 1/2 K code convert?
Dave

#14 ·
The Mustang E's would be rare too, less than 50 built from what I remember. Only offered in 69 and in the Sportsroof body with the L code motor, automatic with special torque converter and a super low 2.33 rear end. It was built for economy above anything else hence the "E" part of the name. It got special decals on the rear quaters.

(I wouldn't consider the Bullit 68 fastback rare, it was just a regular Mustang used in a movie. That's the only reason it was famous, nothing special about the car though. It was last reported to be in a barn in Kentucky. Some people collect stuff and hide it away. Just like there's a guy in North Carolina that has the wrecked gray 1966 Buick Electra that Jaine Mansfield died in stored in a barn too.)

#17 ·
What about the Twister Special. I don't know much about them but I believe less than 100 were made. Or what about the original Ellenor (I think I spelled that wrong). I know that was a movie car but it has realy inspired production of clones. You can't deny that is one bad looking car.:bigthumbsup

#18 ·
the rarest stangs

got up close to these very rare stangs the boss 429 was 1 of three that came with factory drag pack and he has 2 of them and the 69 gt500 is 1 of 1 only in canary yellow was a speacial order Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part

Text Font Technology Electronic device Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Coupé Convertible

Text Font Technology

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Muscle car Motor vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Yellow

#19 ·
How about a '70 Boss 302 Convertible like mine.....Oh yeah, that would be because they NEVER made one. LOL You'd be surprised how many people ask me if it's a real Boss. I like to think of it as the Mustang they should have made. Yes I do know Boss tail light bezels were also black. But I opted for the chrome because I think it looks better.

Attachments

#20 ·
I'd say because there are so many 1 of 1 Mustangs - thanks to Kevin Marti's databse - that the rarest Mustang should also be the most valuable in terms of monetary value.

Maybe one of Carol Shelby's personal cars would qualify - or maybe just 'ol 5F08F100001 or what ever Mustang was built first - be it 100001 or the earliest built prototype that still exists.

Nice lookin' 'Vert Big Secz!

#21 ·
Good responses so far. Possibly the Quarterhorse or the first Mustang that is now in the Ford Museum. Don't forget about the 1 of 1 '67 GT500 Super Snake with its trademark triple stripe. As far as I know, '67 KRs did not exist. The hardtop convertibles are pretty amazing as well. Hard to say, almost a matter of opinion.

#22 ·
I remember seeing somthing about 'Ol Shelby starting to make those Super Snakes again, several years back, and was using standard Mustangs and converting them to SS Shelby's.

#24 ·
#26 · (Edited)
I think I may have it.

I have a 1969 Wimbledon white notchback coupe project car that has been sitting in pieces in my garage since 1987, with deluxe red interior, GT package, 428 cj w/ ram air, close ratio 4 speed, and limited slip differential that Lois Eminger insisted was a "second engineering vehicle". The original invoice is to Ford Engineering. They had it for 16 months and approximately 6500 miles before it showed up on a used car lot in Green Bay as a Ford 'executive driven' used car.

According to Marti Autowerks, it is one of a kind. It was produced in September of 1968, and may be one of the last 'GT' badged cars made (I understand they discontinued the GT package around that time). I also have no idea what the correct meaning is of "second engineering vehicle", having gotten numerous definitions from as many sources.

If it is not the rarest, I would be delighted if anyone could shed light on the vehicle's history at Ford Engineering. It appears impossible to contact them, which I would like to do while someone there may still remember the car.

#27 ·
^^^ Sounds like quite a package in a coupe, huh? Gotta be a sleeper I would think, back in the day? GT package too, yeah, no doubt about it, very rare. Would love to see it completed. This site has a lot of rare '68 Shelbys: You are visting the best 1968 Shelby webpage !!! Thanks for sharing your story. - Tom

#30 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.