Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hood scoop install. Question

7K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  pikapp 
#1 ·
So my hood pins came in and my hood scoop should be coming any time. As i'm checking over everything I need. I noticed Roush recommends using a "3M 4298 Adhesion Promoter." So my question is should i hunt this down? Or just skip it?

Now if anyone can explain why it is that the only drill bit i'm missing is the one that is needed?

#2 ·
tape sucks. adhesive promoter dont work.

clean hood well
prep paint scoop

then what i did, on the very inner part of the scoop, put a THIN line of gorilla glue.

she holds strong.

my tape peeled, if water gets under it forget it.

#3 ·
Don't skip the adhesion promoter. The big thing is making sure the hood is clean and free of any contaminants. You should be able to get adhesion promoter from any auto parts store.
My scoop uses the tape and it's been on for 5 years with no problems.

#4 ·
go to home depot and buy some wider 3m double sided tape. buy the stuff with the red backing that's made for outdoors. gorilla glue might help too, and dont tighten the bolts too much or the gaping will be uneven. i installed mine once and did a poopy job and ended up taking it all off and doing it again later, so make sure to take your time and do it right the first time.

#5 ·
I would not use Gorilla Glue. It's a good product but you shouldn't need it. The adhesion promoter helps ensure a good bonding surface. All wax and other stuff will be removed. Your tape should hold just fine. My quarter window louvers have been on for 4 years and there's no hint of them coming off. If you want a wider tape then get it. But you shouldn't need the glue.

I agree with being careful how tight you tighten the bolts for the scoop. You need to maintain even pressure.

Make sure the surface is nice and warm in addition to being clean. This makes a difference. Likewise, the surface should also be dry, and kept dry for a few days afterwards while the tape fully sets.

Bottom line, just follow your directions to the letter.

Good luck.

#6 ·
the promotor is more to prep the plastic part for the tape. ive had good results from the tape. the roush scoop uses tape and bolts. my cdc louves would take a air chisel to get them off. heres a scoop install post i did, and the scoop will come with some alcohol and promotor.3m adhesive remover from the auto parts is great for removing wax :bigthumbsup
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...ustang-v6-roush-hood-scoop-install-part1.html

#9 ·
alcohol, adhesion promotor, automatic center punch and temp above 50 degrees. The warmer the better for 3M tape curing.

#12 ·
Hey guys. I figured this would be the best thread to post my problem in so here it it is. I've been having the hardest time keeping the driver's side skirt for my street scene body kit to stay in place. The passenger side kit holds up perfectly fine. I have tried numerous times to re-install the skirt with double sided tape with no success, even when using the adhesion promoter and following the instructions to the letter. It holds up fine for about a week but then slowly starts to come apart again. Is there some sort of professional epoxy or something that body shops use? Here is a pic

Attachments

#16 ·
Ok here are some more pics. I remember when I got the parts painted the shop worker telling me not to use the 3M tape but to use a urethane adhesive. I just don't know exactly what kind he was talking about.

Attachments

#17 ·
The part must be warped to keep doing that. I would talk to the shop that painted your parts and see where you can get some. Just be sure you tape up the area above the skirt before you reinstall it so you don't get any epoxy on the paint.

#19 ·
I don't mean to be offensive, but with the amount of scratches, swirl marks, and dirt in that picture I'd assume that the number of problems that could be causing it are pretty endless.

Save up some money. Go to a paint/body shop and get a fresh coat of pain and the piece fixed by them.

#20 ·
What sucks is that all those scratches just happened in the past couple weeks. With all the horrible rain we have been having here in north cali, passing cars on the road have been spraying mine with dirt and debris and causing all that nastiness. I figured that I would probably wind up having to go to a body shop but I just figured that I would check with you guys to see if there was some way to fix it in my garage. Does anyone know of a good epoxy that I would be able to use?

#25 ·
Bump! Ok new-ish question. Best way to fully clean for prep. (For the tape.)

Clay bar? Some dawn dish soap? Just some alchohol? If so what kind and diluted how much? Don't wanna damage the paint job so figure id ask before its to late.

#27 ·
Bump! Ok new-ish question. Best way to fully clean for prep. (For the tape.)

Clay bar? Some dawn dish soap? Just some alchohol? If so what kind and diluted how much? Don't wanna damage the paint job so figure id ask before its to late.
I've used the 70% Iso without any problems on many of my applications. Walgreen's special.

#26 ·
I just do a good wipe down with alcohol. Then I also lightly sand the side skirt before applying the adhesion promoter and acrylic tape. On a positive note I think I figured out why it was warping out like that. The skirt was installed too far down which was causing it not to line up properly with the car body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.