The suggested replacement for fuel filters are every 30K miles or 24 months. Or you notice something that leads you to believe it is clogged.
Here is a pic of the location I took for you. Not real clear but I ran to the garage and held my camera blind taking the picture. http://www.allfordmustangs.com/image...filterfind.jpg
Steps to replace
1. Releive fuel system pressure. Look on fuel rail passenger side front looks like a tire stem. Just remove cap and press down on the stem with a sharp opject and release fuel pressure. Make sure no open flames are around you will get gas coming out of it.
2. remove filter. Use fingers on plastic clips to remove them or you might break them. If you use screwdriver just be careful. NOTE which way the fuel filter faces so you don't put the new on in backwards.
3. check hoses and fittings for dirt or cracks and replace if necessary
4. replace with new filter (check direction it is facing) then hook up the hoses just as you took them off.
5. turn key on to build pressure and release pressure at the fuel rail to ensure all the air bubbles are out. May have to do this a few times to get them all out but it is not totally necessary.
I'll try and do a full article on this later for our tech section but this should get you through it. Very simple just becareful anything working with gas.
Oh yea even though you removed the pressure on the line don't be right underneath the fuel filter when you pull the hoses off unless you want a face full of gas.
(speaking from experience).
Hiope this helps.