Ford Mustang Forum banner

1985 Dashboard re-cover

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Stustu07 
#1 ·
My 1985 dashboard had cracked in about five places and the color had faded from 30 years of glorious sunshine, I filled the cracks with hot glue and shaved smooth,. used ruff sandpaper on the surface so the contact cement would stick, with a hair dryer the vinyl will stretch over four inches, I found the speaker cover in a 1970's, custom Van at the junk yard.

In the first picture you can see where a Crack was just over the top of the speaker cover. I did my best and thought it was smooth, but in the light it appears.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I tried to do this about two weeks ago, but it was to cold and the glue did not stick, but I learnt my lesson, I put two coats of glue and three or more in places. I wish I could of kept the whole thing original, it was just not possible, the seats were bad, the dash was bad, the two front speakers, fell apart when I took them out, new speakers . New armrest cover, new vinyl side pockets on each door.

My next big project will be shocks and struts.

#4 ·
Man that is amazing. Probably lot cheaper than a new cover. Where did you get vinyl? Got a 86 dash that plan on putting in my project. Maurice

#5 ·
Will the 86 dash fit in the 93 body? I know they slightly changed the dimensions on the 91-92 mustang and then a little more on the 93 making it shorter and sleeker (not by much lol) and I think he's getting the supplies from "Rushin Upholstery Supply" I'm assuming the same place he got the supplies to redo his seats which were also awesome :)

#7 ·
A quote from my back seat post. I used the same material that I used for the front and back seat. Heidi Soft, read the (1985 convertible back seat upholstery ) post.

Fabric lined vinyl will stretch when heated with a hair dryer.

Bought all of the material at Rushin Upholstery Supply here in Little Rock,

Heidi Soft / Black for the seat covers. 30 $ per y = two yds
1/2 economy Sew foam 5.96 $ a yard = two yards
Hump hog rings 2.99 $ for 1/2 pound
Custom order this is heavy duty fabric for the liner that holds the hog clips. 4.00$
Charcoal Uvr, thread for 13.50$

Total was 99.08$.

#8 ·
The above post is only for the 1985 back seat, ......
==============

This is what I spent for the Dashboard.

One yard of VA-HDI-6507 = Heidi Soft /Ebony - soft side, the price is 30 per yard.

One Qt of contact cement, .about 11.00$ US.

==============

Apply the contact cement generously, the more the better.

#10 ·
Before and after 1986 about 66,000 miles.
All weather stripping replaced + dew wipes
New brakes all around rotors, calipers, pads, master cylinder, and hoses
New tires
New Dash pad
Replaced headlights
Tail light lenses
New Spats
exhaust system, and 3" down pipe from Stinger Performance
All emblems new
about to start on engine, belts + timing belt, hoses and complete tune up
had issues with Bi-Wing so turned it into Bi-Wing delete car

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.