Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2.3 and SVO Mustang > 2.3L Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Introductions| Mustang Lounge | 2.3L Talk | 2.3L Tech | Mustang Tech | Tech | Racing | Regional

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 02-16-2010   #16 (permalink)
gi1less1fytr is offline Apprentice

2.3L Member

gi1less1fytr's Country Flag
San Jose   California
gi1less1fytr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang1010 View Post
exhaust gas is stable, so it doesnt burn again. Putting it back into the combustion chamber lowers chamber temps.
u guys ever heard of old school hot rodders putting spark plugs in their tail pipes?, supposedly theyd have a switch to create the spark and ignite the exhaust gas coming out or the tail pipes to shoot flame out of them. wouldnt this be considered reburning exhaust gas:?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM RENZO View Post
Now thats what i am talking about. Big C is correct it is mandatory for a smog test in many states. If the car is an AUTO plan on saving all the money you clame to be saving on the extra GAS MILAGE you are getting. You will be needing it to rebuild your TRANNY. Normally disconnecting an EGR valve will show some milage increases but very SLIM. Normally disconnecting them changes the entire tune of the car. The ECM is Tuned Around the EGR. There is no reason to disconnect them if they are working PROPERLY. I have no EGR on my car but its A % speeder and its tuned OUT. Hope this Helps TOM.

Have You Driven A Ford Lately???
damn mine is an auto, wish id known this before. no worries though, guess ill wait for the day when my tranny goes out and blame the egr for it, lol. its my daily driver/ hooptie/ beater car, trannys come a dime a dozen when u live near a salvage yard. i guess when this happens itll give me a reason to switch it out for a manual tranny...

Last edited by ScottHalliday; 08-16-2010 at 02:35 PM. Reason: merged two consecutive posts
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2010   #17 (permalink)
b_chandler is offline Made Member

2.3L Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

b_chandler's Country Flag  View b_chandler's 9 photos
Buford   Georgia
b_chandler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi1less1fytr View Post
u guys ever heard of old school hot rodders putting spark plugs in their tail pipes?, supposedly theyd have a switch to create the spark and ignite the exhaust gas coming out or the tail pipes to shoot flame out of them. wouldnt this be considered reburning exhaust gas:?:

There was a little more to it than just putting a spark plug in the tail pipe. Those guys would either fatten up the fuel mixture so there would be unburnt fuel in the pipe for the spark plug to ignite, or they'd rev up the engine, kill the ignition briefly to push some raw fuel out the pipes.

So the answer is no, it's not reburning exhaust gas.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 02-16-2010   #18 (permalink)
TOM RENZO is offline BOSS Member

2.3L Member

TOM RENZO's Country Flag  View TOM RENZO's 3 photos
Danbury   Connecticut
TOM RENZO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_chandler View Post
There was a little more to it than just putting a spark plug in the tail pipe. Those guys would either fatten up the fuel mixture so there would be unburnt fuel in the pipe for the spark plug to ignite, or they'd rev up the engine, kill the ignition briefly to push some raw fuel out the pipes.

+++++++ That is exactly what they DID. They killed the ignition and left the thing in gear The engine pumped in raw fuel into the exhaust.Then they hit the ignition switch on the coil that was installed in the tail pipe it ignited the rich mixture and flames shot out. But sometimes it did not work so great and those DUMMIES blew their exhaust systems 3 counties south. I fixed many an exhaust system that was blown to pieces from this little stunt. Good point BIG C forgot about that TOTALLY DUMB STUFF Peace Tom

Unread 02-16-2010   #19 (permalink)
b_chandler is offline Made Member

2.3L Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

b_chandler's Country Flag  View b_chandler's 9 photos
Buford   Georgia
b_chandler is on a distinguished road

Hey, we all knew squirrels back in the day. We let them stick around purely for entertainment value. Like the guy I knew with a '70 Nova. It had SS396 badges all over it, but it was a 6cyl 3spd car. We used to rag on him that SS396 meant "Stick Shift 3 speeds, 96 Horsepower" The only person more entertaining was the guy whose brother had "one of those Hemi Cudas with the Max Wedge 6 pack option" or the even more elusive "Boss 427"

Anyway, what were we talking about again?
Unread 02-16-2010   #20 (permalink)
SM90Stanger is offline Made Member

2.3L Member

SM90Stanger's Country Flag  View SM90Stanger's 4 photos
Canada   Manitoba
SM90Stanger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
+++++++ That is exactly what they DID. They killed the ignition and left the thing in gear The engine pumped in raw fuel into the exhaust.Then they hit the ignition switch on the coil that was installed in the tail pipe it ignited the rich mixture and flames shot out. But sometimes it did not work so great and those DUMMIES blew their exhaust systems 3 counties south. I fixed many an exhaust system that was blown to pieces from this little stunt. Good point BIG C forgot about that TOTALLY DUMB STUFF Peace Tom

Why don't you just pump a little propane into the end of the tailpipe and ignite down there so that it doesn't have to go so far to blow out the tailpipe and therefore a smaller chance of blowing up the exhuast system? Then you wouldn't lose power at the same time.

There is another way to make flames come out your tailpipe: Run rocket fuel and a 500 shot of NOS

Steve

Currently driving a 2001 KIA Rio Now you can see why I am working my ass off to make ^^ a street terror...
Unread 02-16-2010   #21 (permalink)
gi1less1fytr is offline Apprentice

2.3L Member

gi1less1fytr's Country Flag
San Jose   California
gi1less1fytr is on a distinguished road

Quote:

gotcha

Quote:

oh, got it makes sense...

Last edited by ScottHalliday; 08-16-2010 at 02:34 PM. Reason: merged two consecutive posts
Unread 02-16-2010   #22 (permalink)

2.3L Member

Danbury   Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM90Stanger View Post
Why don't you just pump a little propane into the end of the tailpipe and ignite down there so that it doesn't have to go so far to blow out the tailpipe and therefore a smaller chance of blowing up the exhuast system? Then you wouldn't lose power at the same time.

There is another way to make flames come out your tailpipe: Run rocket fuel and a 500 shot of NOS

Steve

STEEVE You are starting to WORRY me???? You have a vivid imagination lately. Only FUNNIN but guys did dumb stuff like that . They used to install those 12" long shackles on the rear leaf SPRINGS to raise the back UP. That was DUMB. But it was a fad that rapidly died out. Tom Jr used to install these HUGE woofers and gigantic amps in the trunk when he was YOUNG. Now he just installs a good CD player and no amps. He does not have radios in our cars because he removes the antenna and welds the quarter or the fender closed. It does make the car cleaner. But i do listen to the radio. But JR removed the antenna on all the project cars. I do have a nice pioneer deck in the midnighter with 6X9 speakers and some tweeters. the midnighter came with a Ford preamium sound system from the factory. But Jr removed it. It would have Been nice to have the original system but it did not have a CD player. Peacr Tom

Unread 02-16-2010   #23 (permalink)

2.3L Member

Canada   Manitoba

Quote:
STEEVE You are starting to WORRY me???? You have a vivid imagination lately. Only FUNNIN but guys did dumb stuff like that . They used to install those 12" long shackles on the rear leaf SPRINGS to raise the back UP. That was DUMB. But it was a fad that rapidly died out. Tom Jr used to install these HUGE woofers and gigantic amps in the trunk when he was YOUNG. Now he just installs a good CD player and no amps. He does not have radios in our cars because he removes the antenna and welds the quarter or the fender closed. It does make the car cleaner. But i do listen to the radio. But JR removed the antenna on all the project cars. I do have a nice pioneer deck in the midnighter with 6X9 speakers and some tweeters. the midnighter came with a Ford preamium sound system from the factory. But Jr removed it. It would have Been nice to have the original system but it did not have a CD player. Peacr Tom

You know I was just joking... I think with the set up that I suggested, you would be able to blow the entire car up

I did something different with Alice, I moved the antenna to the rear passenger fender and welded up the front fender. It looks pretty cool. I have a couple of small subs and a small amp with a nice deck. Not enough to drain the battery or make your ears bleed, just enough for a couple of girls to enjoy themselves

Steve

Currently driving a 2001 KIA Rio Now you can see why I am working my ass off to make ^^ a street terror...
Unread 02-18-2010   #24 (permalink)

2.3L Member

Danbury   Connecticut

Steeve You are a GOOD man. I totally forgot that impress the girls STUFF. Been Married to long i GUESS. Very good point. Impressing GIRLS IS number one. D'OE I am getting OLD. Peace My Brother

Unread 02-18-2010   #25 (permalink)

2.3L Member

Canada   Manitoba

Quote:
Steeve You are a GOOD man. I totally forgot that impress the girls STUFF. Been Married to long i GUESS. Very good point. Impressing GIRLS IS number one. D'OE I am getting OLD. Peace My Brother

LOL... You're lucky you don't have to worry about that stuff anymore

Steve

Unread 02-22-2010   #26 (permalink)
Slumlord is offline Apprentice

Slumlord's Country Flag
Buffalo   New York
Slumlord is on a distinguished road

So potentially, an EGR system would be beneficial in a turbo situation by allowing for more boost, yet simultaneously has been shown to decrease fuel milage. It leaves for an interesting compromise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162