Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2.3 and SVO Mustang > 2.3L Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Introductions| Mustang Lounge | 2.3L Talk | 2.3L Tech | Mustang Tech | Tech | Racing | Regional

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 07-31-2012   #1 (permalink)
Svoman18 is offline Apprentice

2.3L Member

Svoman18's Country Flag
Spotsylvania   Virginia
Svoman18 is on a distinguished road
Default svo upgrades for hp?

What are some good upgrades for power on these cars? would a K&N air filter help the engine breathe a little bit better? and what about getting a bleeder valve for the turbo? How much boost can I run safely in stock form? and I already have the upgraded fuel pump.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2012   #2 (permalink)
ohc230 is offline Apprentice

ohc230's Country Flag  View ohc230's 2 photos
Napa   California
ohc230 is on a distinguished road

A larger inter-cooler and a 3" down pipe are easy ways to get the HP up without stressing your wallet. If you have some cash left over after those, upgrading the rest of the exhaust will help a bit more.

16-17 lbs of boost, puts your stock turbo at the edge of its efficiency range and is more than I like to run, given the poor detonation resistance of today's fuels.

85' SVO
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 08-01-2012   #3 (permalink)
TOM RENZO is offline BOSS Member

2.3L Member

TOM RENZO's Country Flag  View TOM RENZO's 3 photos
Danbury   Connecticut
TOM RENZO is on a distinguished road

Actually the SVO if i am not mistaken has a GARRET TURBO. It does not run out of steam at 16-17 LBS. Actually it is quite able to supply 22-23 LBS with no ill effects. Some actually run a tad more closer to 25. This is from memory and it is something that i have messed with. Maybe NAVY can chime in on this. peace tom

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride"

I SPEND MONEY I DON'T HAVE, TO BUILD CARS I DON'T NEED,TO IMPRESS PEOPLE I DON'T KNOW.
Unread 08-01-2012   #4 (permalink)
NavySVO is offline Made Member

NavySVO's Country Flag  View NavySVO's 2 photos  View NavySVO's 1 classified ad
Virginia Beach   Virginia
NavySVO is on a distinguished road

The stock Garrett T3 will peak right at 21 or so. It is somewhat dependant on the wastegate integrity and if you have system leaks.

Intercooler size and bigger downpipe won't change HP output. They may help to reach boost threshold quicker, but the HP will only be effected by improving volumetric efficiency (VE) and adding fuel to that air.

The best way ot make these things go more is headwork, which, is a rise in VE. That's why Boport makes engines that go vroom!
Unread 08-01-2012   #5 (permalink)

2.3L Member

Danbury   Connecticut

Navy the T3 only can produce 21 before saturation?? I thought they would go higher. Some of the guys tell us they are around 23 with no issues. Thanks for the heads up. As usual you are the SVO GO TO GUY THANKS MY BROTHER PEACE TOM

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride"

I SPEND MONEY I DON'T HAVE, TO BUILD CARS I DON'T NEED,TO IMPRESS PEOPLE I DON'T KNOW.
Unread 08-01-2012   #6 (permalink)

I have seen so spike higher, but not maintain. The wastegate makes a difference too.
Unread 08-01-2012   #7 (permalink)
Svoman18 is offline Apprentice

2.3L Member

Svoman18's Country Flag
Spotsylvania   Virginia
Svoman18 is on a distinguished road

So NAVY if I turn up my boost and add an adjustable fuel regulator can I run so more boost safely? Say maybe 18-20lbs with no other mods?
Unread 08-02-2012   #8 (permalink)

you can do these things, but "safely" is the key word here. You really need to go to a dyno that has a true sniffer that can show you what your A/F ratios are when in boost.
Now, some people will say "isn't that what a wideband is for?" Well, yes, but most "wideband" products offered are:
A; not a TRUE wideband, and
B; not advantageous to be watching while driving

You could go MS or another program for data logging, but you would then need a true wideband sensor for that.
Unread 08-02-2012   #9 (permalink)
ohc230 is offline Apprentice

ohc230's Country Flag  View ohc230's 2 photos
Napa   California
ohc230 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
“Intercooler size and bigger downpipe won't change HP output”

Kurt, it is with the utmost respect that I differ in opinion with your assessment. I have read your posts for years and you have contributed much and helped countless Mustang owners with their cars and all I’m offering here is a different opinion, I might be reading something out of context here and that’s often the case with written words.

The purpose of an intercooler is to cool a compressed air charge in a turbo or supercharged engine. When air is compressed (boosted) its temperature increases and becomes less dense and less oxygen rich.

Since oxygen is a key component of combustion, the relative amounts that are present during a combustion cycle are proportional to the amount of work, in this case heat (read HP) generated during a combustion event.

In the world of physics we commonly use an ideal gas law, to express the relationship between pressure and volume, which looks like this:

PV = nRT

Where: P is the pressure of the gas, V is the volume of the gas, n is the amount of gas (T is the temperature of the gas and R is the ideal.

I think it is safe to say that we can calculate with certainty, the effects of pressure and temperature using simple formulas.

I think we could agree that a 170 degree air charge contains more oxygen than a 270 degree air charge?

If that is in fact true, then I think we could agree that a colder air charge (170 degrees) should deliver more oxygen to your engine than the hotter charge (270 degrees), if the pressure in the intake charge was the same for both. If both of those statements are true, we should see an increase in power per combustion cycle.

Colder = better in this case. Yes, no?

In the case of the intercooler; despite having a hood scoop directing air to the intercooler, the stock system has a major disadvantage in that the intercooler sits directly above the exhaust manifold (hot), drastically reducing its efficiency for heat transfer. Yes I know it has a heat shield, but I wouldn’t put my hands on it after sitting in traffic on a hot day.

Air to air intercoolers work by a convective process, whereby the molecules of heat within the air charge are transferred through the interior walls of the intercooler, using air as the cooling medium to transfer heat from the walls. There is a well established proportionality between the surface area of the intercooler and the amount of heat it can effectively transfer. Another factor which can affect its ability to transfer heat is how much air passes through it. Again, there is proportionality between the size of the cooler and its ability to transfer heat away from it.

When it comes to airflow through the stock intercooler, were again looking at a smaller vs. larger, except this time it’s the cross sectional area of the cooler that imposes a limit on airflow, which at this point really isn’t a limitation, but at just 275 CFM, it doesn’t leave a lot of room for improvement. Even swapping to a turbo coupe intercooler, which is only slightly larger and a very easy mod, we can see a significant difference in HP.

All of this is well established and can be seen in test after test.

The exhaust system on a turbocharged car is not unlike that of a normally aspirated car, in that the back pressure in the system has a related effect on power.

I’m out of time, so I won’t go into any further details unless prompted, instead I will link to a good article from Muscle Mustangs.

So, with the Stinger downpipe assembly and the Edelbrock exhaust system in place,
we got the car up and running and tailored it back to Mustang Magic for more dyno time. With the car strapped down onto its Dynojet 248c, we went for an initial run. To our surprise, we witnessed the boost gauge jump to nearly 22 pounds-a lot more than it originally had. Technician Joe Lauzardo quickly let off the throttle, and we lowered the boost pressure to 18 psi to avoid harmful damage to the engine. As we let the car cool and went for our next run, we could hear the car spool up much quicker, and the car really began to make power. Halfway through the run, however, we quickly noticed a plume of smoke coming from under the hood. It didn't take long to realize something was amiss when the car began to fall on its face. Our day was over.
It was apparent that our first run with too much boost had caused some damage to the 90,000-mile engine, and there was no turning back. Back home, we found 40 percent leak down in the two middle cylinders-a sure sign of a blown head gasket between the two bores. Without adequate time to properly fix the engine for our deadline, we decided to give you what we had and (try to) write a halfway decent story instead of spending our late nights thrashing on the engine to get it running. So, the car sits, and we've thrown together some words for your pleasure.
The good thing is, we were able to salvage some of the dyno data up to 4,250 rpm, and it was encouraging. Compared to our previous dyno pulls, we found an incredible jump in torque starting as low as 2,400 rpm. This proved that the turbo was indeed spooling up sooner, making more boost earlier. By 3,600 rpm, we witnessed a 32-lb-ft increase in torque compared to the previous peak of 280.5 lb-ft, and at 4,250 rpm-the highest rpm point we could record with our wounded soldier-we saw an incredible 37 rwhp gain. This means at just 4,250 rpm, we already were making over 200 rwhp where it used to be just 164 rwhp……..
Read more: 1985 Ford Mustang SVO - Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords Magazine
[/color][/b]

85' SVO
Unread 08-02-2012   #10 (permalink)

A bigger intercooler doesn't provide more oxygen. It will however provide a denser charge to what the turbo is putting out. And the turbo can only put out what it's geometry allows it to. Yes, a FMIC helps provide better airflow, but you didn't say that. You said put on a bigger intercooler and a downpipe. If that's what you meant, with all due respect, say that.

The Forced4 write-up you provide is a bit askew with your first statement of simply slapping on an intercooler and downpipe. They did more than that.

Swapping to a t-bird intercooler is about 5 hp. I wouldn't boast that as "significant".
Unread 08-02-2012   #11 (permalink)
seif5034 is offline Apprentice

2.3L Member

seif5034's Country Flag  View seif5034's 2 photos
Ft. Riley   Kansas
seif5034 is on a distinguished road

volvo B234f(?) head. Stinger performance throttle body. Megasquirt.
Unread 08-02-2012   #12 (permalink)

2.3L Member

Danbury   Connecticut

tHEN AGAIN IF A BIGGER ic HAS bIGGER RESTRICTION YOU ARE SPINNING YOUR WHEELS !!! wELL NOT IN A GOOD WAY. i think??

jUST SOME FRUIT FOR THOUGHT. BIGGER IS SOMETIMES NOT BETTER OR IS IT???

Unread 08-03-2012   #13 (permalink)
seif5034 is offline Apprentice

2.3L Member

seif5034's Country Flag  View seif5034's 2 photos
Ft. Riley   Kansas
seif5034 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by seif5034 View Post
volvo B234f(?) head. Stinger throttle body. Megasquirt.
correction : Big bore throttlebody from Racer Walsh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162