Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

no heat car will not heat up ..?

38K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  davedino23 
#1 ·
aigghty so i replaced my thermostat to the hotest one i could find so my car blows hott well now i have on problem i decided to drain all the coolent out from my rad and do a change as well now the fun part after i chnaged the thermostat i have no heat i took it for a run on the highway holding it at 4500 and it still would not heat up the least bit at all i could have lit a match and heated the car up in 2 seconds allot warmer then the heater did in the last 20 mins .... any ideas .....? pllllllllllllz help i live in saskatchewan and guess what it gets COLD plllllz help

#4 ·
hm

If your car is not heating up it could be a failed thermostat. I had one that failed right after I changed it, for no real reason.
Another solution is that your cooling system is not pressurizing, so it won't heat up. Check your rad cap and make sure it's on tight and works properly. If you haven't changed your heater core, you'll probably want to chage it out - change the heater motor while you're in there - it's a pain to get to. The 2.3 isn't going to get that hot in the winter - about the second from the bottom mark on the temp gauge at the most so don't expect a midrange reading. It should be enough to heat you up, though.

#6 ·
spoxick said:
aigghty so i replaced my thermostat to the hotest one i could find so my car blows hott well now i have on problem i decided to drain all the coolent out from my rad and do a change as well now the fun part after i chnaged the thermostat i have no heat i took it for a run on the highway holding it at 4500 and it still would not heat up the least bit at all i could have lit a match and heated the car up in 2 seconds allot warmer then the heater did in the last 20 mins .... any ideas .....? pllllllllllllz help i live in saskatchewan and guess what it gets COLD plllllz help
u need to find out if theres circulation thru the heater core, u can open the return hose with motor runing heat on, also theres a vacum controlled valve that dont always open and it will keep u from getting heat, i forget what its really called, but only a few thing can cause this, that valve, water pump is bad, system is clogged somewhere, heater core is plugged, and im assuming ur heater motor is fine.

#7 ·
Rustang said:
If your car is not heating up it could be a failed thermostat. I had one that failed right after I changed it, for no real reason.
Another solution is that your cooling system is not pressurizing, so it won't heat up. Check your rad cap and make sure it's on tight and works properly. If you haven't changed your heater core, you'll probably want to chage it out - change the heater motor while you're in there - it's a pain to get to. The 2.3 isn't going to get that hot in the winter - about the second from the bottom mark on the temp gauge at the most so don't expect a midrange reading. It should be enough to heat you up, though.
are u kidding me my heater burns me up!!!

#9 ·
talking about heat in your stang,yesterday i spent like 4 hours installing a remote heater core with the built in fan,got it from a stepvan that iam also restoring,stepvan parts store sell them they are quite pricey around 400,,well i located it in front of the passenger seat bypassed the factory core,had to hook it up with that remote skinny heater hose,that hooks up with a t-fitting,it goes to the back of the block,think it goes in the throttle body??,where does that line go to?? well anyways talk about heat,its instant Cancun,Iam ready for the cold,I will return in to the stock core in the spring,,i might relocate it to the back hatch area,,its a 89 2.3 hatchback,,,,some conversion vans have these setups in the rear area,but they have a bit smaller core to them,,,,,those stock cores plug up very easy,and they are not fun to change.mine was just not putting out enough heat,,,,,i ran the hoses through the floor,,maybe searching the local junkyard you might be able to find one cheap,this is my trusty winter beater,have four stangs in total,,i think i have the hottest hottest stang in town:) oh by the way when i first installed it ,the hoses wouldn't get hot,had to rev it abit to fill up the heatorcore also disconnected one hose a bit to air bleed it,,...check both of your hoses they should both feel hot,,might be the thermo also,i think your stock core is plugging up,,good luck

#10 ·
hey anyone know where that little hose connected to the T-fitting on one of the heater hose go to???,,, i tried following it and it went near under the throttle,i had forgtten to hook it up when i did this setup and it was leaking coolant slowly....,,,,while wearing gloves i can put my hands on the heater hoses while iam driving,they make nice hand warmers,,yeah i know they its dangerous if one hose bursts but every hose,clamp and L-fittings are new and secured tight,,,,i give my setup an A+ ,,nice and toasty

#11 ·
It's a long one

WHOA! Hey buddy I'm from saskatchewan too. It's damn cold here right now. I just posted a thread a couple weeks ago about the NO HEAT problem. Here's how it went; - LAST WINTER -I could drive my car for hours - No cabin heat - My temp gauge always read cold too. - Replaced my thermostat with 180*, installed correctly. - No Heat - replaced my heater core with brand new one. - A tiny bit of heat - Gauge seemed to come a touch higher, but still well below normal. - Now THIS WINTER - got sick of only enough heat to clear windsheild - Tested Gauge/sending unit - A O.K. - Performed coolant flush with Wynn's Machine. During flush had lots of cabin heat temp Gauge was way Up, Almost HOT. - Afterward still only tiny heat - ????? - Replaced thermostat again (180*), Installed
backwards by accident:embarrassed - Now it heats up while sitting, start driving, Temp gauge goes way up to Hot Then right back down to little heat. - Flip thermostat around - Tiny heat again - Replace RAD cap - NOTHING:mad: - Clamp off Lower rad hose - vehicle slowly heats up to NORMAL while sitting -
Start driving - Slowly goes to HOT ( This WHOLE time the engine always seemed to be at a normal operating Temp BTW ) - Get out Unclamp hose - Right back down to tiny heat:mad: :mad: :mad: - After driving it to work and back this way for a week, Determine it MUST be the water Pump - Install new water pump and New 192* thermostat at same time - NO CHANGE!!! In fact it blew colder! - Pulled back into the shop, disconnected both heater core hoses and flushed it with a water hose. Hooked it back up, ran it . - Didn't Help. - Had it running as I scratched my head. Feeling the heater hoses I notice that the return line is HOT near the heater core but as I go further It gets Cold!!!:bounce2: - Unhooked the hose at both ends. Put the water hose to it and after a build up of pressure, A BUNCH of Brown Stuff shoots out!:grinroll: - Hook it back up, Run it and I have GOOD hot Cabin heat!!! The temp gauge is in the " normal ". Since then the Temp gauge is kind of here and there, but once the car is warm It doesn't go much below normal. I think after all that crap it may need a new sending unit. I also want to flush it out again. But it HAS heat and I'm Happy!:smilie . Sorry for the monster thread, but after aaaalllll that I needed to vent it somewhere. My wife just doesn't understand.:gringreen Oh yeah, I had a 2.3 and it was Hot As Hell.

#14 ·
The spring faces the HEAD. If the core is not pluged it will get good heat. If not i would intall a garden hose on it and flush in both directions. Normally this flushes all the crap out pritty good. Ford had a TSB on this condition . It involves a new goose neck and a up dated stat and gasket with a procedure of instillation. If the stat is working and the core is OK they get very good heat. Hope this helps Tom

#16 ·
Yes that can happen but usually the car or should i say the engine will use coolant. But it can be a head gasket. The exhaust bubbles block the flow of coolant through the core. Peace tom

#18 ·
hey man could anyone tell me why dont i have heat from my 85 mustang i put a new theromstat into her and shes carb but was a fuel injection she blows lots of air but never warms up how would i tell if my hearter core is gone or what else could it be i need help i live in northern alberta lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.