Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2.3 and SVO Mustang > 2.3L Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Introductions| Mustang Lounge | 2.3L Talk | 2.3L Tech | Mustang Tech | Tech | Racing | Regional

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 10-18-2006   #1 (permalink)
spoxick is offline Rookie

spoxick's Country Flag
regina   Saskatchewan
spoxick is on a distinguished road
Default no heat car will not heat up ..?

aigghty so i replaced my thermostat to the hotest one i could find so my car blows hott well now i have on problem i decided to drain all the coolent out from my rad and do a change as well now the fun part after i chnaged the thermostat i have no heat i took it for a run on the highway holding it at 4500 and it still would not heat up the least bit at all i could have lit a match and heated the car up in 2 seconds allot warmer then the heater did in the last 20 mins .... any ideas .....? pllllllllllllz help i live in saskatchewan and guess what it gets COLD plllllz help
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2006   #2 (permalink)
redhotstang00 is offline Made Member

5.0L Member

redhotstang00's Country Flag  View redhotstang00's 12 photos  View redhotstang00's HomePage
Toledo   Ohio
redhotstang00 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to redhotstang00

Could be your heater core...
Car 3: 1988 Mustang GT - Mod's
Front Mod's strangs 10way adj., New ushing,Springs
Rear Mod's Built 8.8" 31 splines, c-clips, 50/50 shocks, 3.90 gears, eaton posi, Engine Mods' Cold air intake..
Bets Time: 14.62
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 10-18-2006   #3 (permalink)

spoxick's Country Flag
regina   Saskatchewan

but would my heater core cause my whole car not to warm up like i can run the car for an hour open the rad and stick my finger in the coolent and it is piss warm ... could that be caused by my heater core i dont think it can .. can it .?
Unread 10-21-2006   #4 (permalink)
Rustang is offline Rookie

Rustang's Country Flag
Edmonton Alberta
Rustang is on a distinguished road
Default hm

If your car is not heating up it could be a failed thermostat. I had one that failed right after I changed it, for no real reason.
Another solution is that your cooling system is not pressurizing, so it won't heat up. Check your rad cap and make sure it's on tight and works properly. If you haven't changed your heater core, you'll probably want to chage it out - change the heater motor while you're in there - it's a pain to get to. The 2.3 isn't going to get that hot in the winter - about the second from the bottom mark on the temp gauge at the most so don't expect a midrange reading. It should be enough to heat you up, though.
Unread 10-26-2006   #5 (permalink)

spoxick's Country Flag
regina   Saskatchewan

but saying that when a thermostat fails it should stay closed ... i think saying that the car should over heat should it not .... if the thermostat failed
Unread 10-28-2006   #6 (permalink)
93lxrustang is offline Rookie

93lxrustang's Country Flag
everett   Washington
93lxrustang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoxick
aigghty so i replaced my thermostat to the hotest one i could find so my car blows hott well now i have on problem i decided to drain all the coolent out from my rad and do a change as well now the fun part after i chnaged the thermostat i have no heat i took it for a run on the highway holding it at 4500 and it still would not heat up the least bit at all i could have lit a match and heated the car up in 2 seconds allot warmer then the heater did in the last 20 mins .... any ideas .....? pllllllllllllz help i live in saskatchewan and guess what it gets COLD plllllz help
u need to find out if theres circulation thru the heater core, u can open the return hose with motor runing heat on, also theres a vacum controlled valve that dont always open and it will keep u from getting heat, i forget what its really called, but only a few thing can cause this, that valve, water pump is bad, system is clogged somewhere, heater core is plugged, and im assuming ur heater motor is fine.

current:86gt 5peed built t5,offroad h pipe 3" flows dumped.
85 gt vert my new project, getting a 86 gt motor
Unread 10-28-2006   #7 (permalink)
93lxrustang is offline Rookie

93lxrustang's Country Flag
everett   Washington
93lxrustang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustang
If your car is not heating up it could be a failed thermostat. I had one that failed right after I changed it, for no real reason.
Another solution is that your cooling system is not pressurizing, so it won't heat up. Check your rad cap and make sure it's on tight and works properly. If you haven't changed your heater core, you'll probably want to chage it out - change the heater motor while you're in there - it's a pain to get to. The 2.3 isn't going to get that hot in the winter - about the second from the bottom mark on the temp gauge at the most so don't expect a midrange reading. It should be enough to heat you up, though.
are u kidding me my heater burns me up!!!

current:86gt 5peed built t5,offroad h pipe 3" flows dumped.
85 gt vert my new project, getting a 86 gt motor
Unread 11-29-2006   #8 (permalink)
stangs4evr-roy is offline Rookie

stangs4evr-roy's Country Flag  View stangs4evr-roy's HomePage
Squamish   British Columbia
stangs4evr-roy is on a distinguished road

sounds like your thermostat is stuck open, on the 2.3 it has to be installed properly or it will stick open
Unread 11-29-2006   #9 (permalink)
mustangcar is offline Rookie

Classic Member

mustangcar's Country Flag
Chicago   Kansas
mustangcar is on a distinguished road

talking about heat in your stang,yesterday i spent like 4 hours installing a remote heater core with the built in fan,got it from a stepvan that iam also restoring,stepvan parts store sell them they are quite pricey around 400,,well i located it in front of the passenger seat bypassed the factory core,had to hook it up with that remote skinny heater hose,that hooks up with a t-fitting,it goes to the back of the block,think it goes in the throttle body??,where does that line go to?? well anyways talk about heat,its instant Cancun,Iam ready for the cold,I will return in to the stock core in the spring,,i might relocate it to the back hatch area,,its a 89 2.3 hatchback,,,,some conversion vans have these setups in the rear area,but they have a bit smaller core to them,,,,,those stock cores plug up very easy,and they are not fun to change.mine was just not putting out enough heat,,,,,i ran the hoses through the floor,,maybe searching the local junkyard you might be able to find one cheap,this is my trusty winter beater,have four stangs in total,,i think i have the hottest hottest stang in town oh by the way when i first installed it ,the hoses wouldn't get hot,had to rev it abit to fill up the heatorcore also disconnected one hose a bit to air bleed it,,...check both of your hoses they should both feel hot,,might be the thermo also,i think your stock core is plugging up,,good luck
Unread 11-30-2006   #10 (permalink)
mustangcar is offline Rookie

Classic Member

mustangcar's Country Flag
Chicago   Kansas
mustangcar is on a distinguished road

hey anyone know where that little hose connected to the T-fitting on one of the heater hose go to???,,, i tried following it and it went near under the throttle,i had forgtten to hook it up when i did this setup and it was leaking coolant slowly....,,,,while wearing gloves i can put my hands on the heater hoses while iam driving,they make nice hand warmers,,yeah i know they its dangerous if one hose bursts but every hose,clamp and L-fittings are new and secured tight,,,,i give my setup an A+ ,,nice and toasty
Unread 12-01-2006   #11 (permalink)
5.0ForLife is offline Made Member

5.0L Member

5.0ForLife's Country Flag
Yorkton   Saskatchewan
5.0ForLife is on a distinguished road
Default It's a long one

WHOA! Hey buddy I'm from saskatchewan too. It's damn cold here right now. I just posted a thread a couple weeks ago about the NO HEAT problem. Here's how it went; - LAST WINTER -I could drive my car for hours - No cabin heat - My temp gauge always read cold too. - Replaced my thermostat with 180*, installed correctly. - No Heat - replaced my heater core with brand new one. - A tiny bit of heat - Gauge seemed to come a touch higher, but still well below normal. - Now THIS WINTER - got sick of only enough heat to clear windsheild - Tested Gauge/sending unit - A O.K. - Performed coolant flush with Wynn's Machine. During flush had lots of cabin heat temp Gauge was way Up, Almost HOT. - Afterward still only tiny heat - ????? - Replaced thermostat again (180*), Installed
backwards by accident - Now it heats up while sitting, start driving, Temp gauge goes way up to Hot Then right back down to little heat. - Flip thermostat around - Tiny heat again - Replace RAD cap - NOTHING - Clamp off Lower rad hose - vehicle slowly heats up to NORMAL while sitting -
Start driving - Slowly goes to HOT ( This WHOLE time the engine always seemed to be at a normal operating Temp BTW ) - Get out Unclamp hose - Right back down to tiny heat - After driving it to work and back this way for a week, Determine it MUST be the water Pump - Install new water pump and New 192* thermostat at same time - NO CHANGE!!! In fact it blew colder! - Pulled back into the shop, disconnected both heater core hoses and flushed it with a water hose. Hooked it back up, ran it . - Didn't Help. - Had it running as I scratched my head. Feeling the heater hoses I notice that the return line is HOT near the heater core but as I go further It gets Cold!!! - Unhooked the hose at both ends. Put the water hose to it and after a build up of pressure, A BUNCH of Brown Stuff shoots out! - Hook it back up, Run it and I have GOOD hot Cabin heat!!! The temp gauge is in the " normal ". Since then the Temp gauge is kind of here and there, but once the car is warm It doesn't go much below normal. I think after all that crap it may need a new sending unit. I also want to flush it out again. But it HAS heat and I'm Happy!:smilie . Sorry for the monster thread, but after aaaalllll that I needed to vent it somewhere. My wife just doesn't understand. Oh yeah, I had a 2.3 and it was Hot As Hell.
1993 GT Reef Blue/Titanium, leather, Loaded. Mods; BBK Cold Air Intake, EGR elimination, FRPP Smog pump eliminator, Hurst Comp Plus Shifter, FRPP 3:73 gears, FRPP carbon fiber clutch packs, BBK ceramic coated shorties, Magnaflow Catback

Gone but not forgotten: '83 Charcoal GT 5 spd,
'89 Black/Titanium GT 5 spd, '90 Black LX Hatch 5 spd, ...
Unread 02-24-2010   #12 (permalink)
stangbitten is offline Rookie

stangbitten's Country Flag
sibley   Missouri
stangbitten is on a distinguished road

that hose runs to lower part of intake
Unread 02-24-2010   #13 (permalink)
stangbitten is offline Rookie

stangbitten's Country Flag
sibley   Missouri
stangbitten is on a distinguished road

sounds a lot like my dilema anyone got any pics of which way the t stat goes?
Unread 02-24-2010   #14 (permalink)
TOM RENZO is offline BOSS Member

2.3L Member

TOM RENZO's Country Flag  View TOM RENZO's 3 photos
Danbury   Connecticut
TOM RENZO is on a distinguished road

The spring faces the HEAD. If the core is not pluged it will get good heat. If not i would intall a garden hose on it and flush in both directions. Normally this flushes all the crap out pritty good. Ford had a TSB on this condition . It involves a new goose neck and a up dated stat and gasket with a procedure of instillation. If the stat is working and the core is OK they get very good heat. Hope this helps Tom

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride"

I SPEND MONEY I DON'T HAVE, TO BUILD CARS I DON'T NEED,TO IMPRESS PEOPLE I DON'T KNOW.
Unread 02-25-2010   #15 (permalink)
irishdali is offline Apprentice

2.3L Member

irishdali's Country Flag  View irishdali's 26 photos
Council Bluffs   Iowa
irishdali is on a distinguished road

I HOPE this is not the problem... but, just FYI, the last time I had the issue you're having...(replacing thermostate to no avail, no heat) it turned out my head gasket was shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162