Ford Mustang Forum banner

THE 2.3 Liter Natuarally-Aspirated Performance/Modifications Thread

240K views 243 replies 114 participants last post by  Fredness. 
#1 ·
Hey all this is my first post to this board and I'm hoping someone can help me out a little bit. I just bought a 1987 LX. Its 2.3L and 5 speed but other then that I don't know anything about it. The owners manual is long gone so I have no idea of where to look for specifications and stuff. Is it turbo or not? I don't have license plates or insurance yet so I can't drive it around any. Is this a fast mustang? More importantly, is it faster than the stock civics my friends drive? Its blue, does being blue make it faster? :cool: Anyways! Any help anyone could give me would be awesome. Thanks a bunch!

G
#54 · (Edited)
Re: Re: ts?

BlackKnightRace said:
Since when has a sonoma, and a taurus been "much" faster cars then a 2.3 mustang.. man that car has a bad rep.. Maybe its because I haven't been driving a stock one for a while.. (Getting to my head)!
Dude, a stock 3.0/auto Taurus will outrun 4-cyl. and early 3.8 Mustangs all day long, I know, took my mom's car street-racing one night when my Camaro was out of commission... it beat a few cars my Camaro couldnt (that was embarrasing).

And a 4.3L Sonoma has some power too, roughly 200hp in something that weighs a little more than the 105hp 2.3 Mustang.

#58 ·
Porting the manifold will do nothing. If the engine is not a forced induction engine than the difference will not be noticeable. Bigger is not always better. If you make the intake volume bigger, how will you compensate? are you adding bigger injectors, mass air meter recalibration, bigger throttle bottle, timing bump, etc...You would be best off to leave the stock power plant alone and find a junkyard 2.3 turbo to build up. Drive the stock 2.3 untill you are done building the turbo engine and then do the swap. You can spend a ton of money on your non turbo engine and still have nothing to really show for it. I question the value of a chip on the car as well it may remove the stock rev limiter, or increase the fuel delivery, but you still have the problem of the stock 60 lph fuel pump. You will do what you want to I'm sure but take my advice and do the turbo. Good Luck.

#60 ·
All I am saying is that porting the intake on a non turbo car with no other mods is not going to be a noticable difference. A friend of mine added a trick flow track heat intake to his 5 OH. It had pulleys, K & N, march ram air, and a mild cam. Because the intake will out flow any normal street intake (cobra, gt40, edelbrock performer) he actually lost power. He went from a 14.9 to a 15.3 in the 1/4. Bigger is not always better. Look at my car. Basically stock. 13.9. Just ask the guy in the 2001 z28 that I roasted on calgary trail last night. LOL

#192 ·
All I am saying is that porting the intake on a non turbo car with no other mods is not going to be a noticable difference. A friend of mine added a trick flow track heat intake to his 5 OH. It had pulleys, K & N, march ram air, and a mild cam. Because the intake will out flow any normal street intake (cobra, gt40, edelbrock performer) he actually lost power. He went from a 14.9 to a 15.3 in the 1/4. Bigger is not always better. Look at my car. Basically stock. 13.9. Just ask the guy in the 2001 z28 that I roasted on calgary trail last night. LOL

My car is totally N/A and its doing 13,5 the 1/4 mile. It has to do 13 but I am a problem in the ¨hand¨. If I practice a couple of more time, will reach the 13 easily. (and my car hsa only 9,8 compression ratio) :D

#64 ·
You are right about the nitrous if you are talkin about the stock n/a 2.3. If you are talkin about NOS hurting a turbo 2.3 than you are out to lunch. The turbo 2.3 should handle a 75 to 100 shot all day long. NOS helps to not only keep the engine cool, but also helps to spool up the tubo eliminating LAG. The common misconception about NOS is that it is bad for your engine. WRONG. With the right mixture of fuel and Nitrous, it is a very safe way to make loads of power. I am not saying that you are wrong about NOS hurting a n/a 2.3 with its pot metal pistons, but the Turbo engine can take the abuse.

#66 ·
It will increase combustion temp. obviously, but it does decrease intake manifold temparature, which in turn will decrease the risk of detonation. At the 5OH shootout last summer with Adam's car it was 30*C. The car idled for 10 min. and then made a NOS pass down the track. The intake was sub zero (frosted) when he returned to the pits. It was freezing cold to the touch. I think that it does have some cooling atributes. I understand that just because the intake is cold does not mean the engine is cold, but it does reduce detonation. No?:confused:

#69 ·
Hey Flex, the same richer AF ratio can be achieved using the iced temp. sensor trick I told you about. Hey Black Knight why dont you trust me? Like I said before- I haven't given you a reason to not trust me. This site is for discusions, and debates on FORD products, and tech, not on who trusts who.

#72 ·
Hey Black Knight why are you tring to start a fight with me? This site is for tech, and questions related to mustangs. Is the comment "I only trust you as far as I can throw you, and that aint far" any indication of your true strength? If it is then I am more than willing to take your challenge.

#76 ·
Header
Turbo
intake
TB *modified 5.0 one*

The normal stuff you would get.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.