Singh grooves in a mustang head - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
2.3L Member

Send a message via MSN to sleeper_inc
Singh grooves in a mustang head

Ok, I think I'll do this over the summer just for something to do.

Anyways, I'm not sure what head mine is. I think it should be the hart shaped combustion camber, but could it be a different head? (1988 LX)

Anyways, I'm going to post some ideas for some singh grooves. If you have any opinions on what I should do let me know.

Here is a design I thought of real quick because I have to go do something. (one is a D-Port, other is an oval port) and I'll also be porting the head lightly just to get it all smooth since I want to use this head on my car and I'm still learning

The sad thing is, with 15 PSI, straight back exhaust, and a bobs log, it still feels slow...

Maybe 20PSI, new computer, new 3" VAM, and some porting will make it faster

For pictures of my build-up on "No Hands" PM me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007
Apprentice
2.3L Member

You have the heart shape head. I have an 89 and that's also what I have.

So what is it you'r doing? I don't remember ever hearing that term.

What tools do you have? If you have a compressor it's cheapest to just use a air die grinder. Smooth all the rough areas or ridges made by the casting. Smooth around where the valve comes into the port. What's it called...(BRAIN FART..just got home from a 10.5 hour day at work in the heat). The most differance when porting is made when working the outside corner of a bend. I'm new to this to. I have started working my head this last week but haven't had time to get very far. Get carbide bits for steel/iron not alluminum. DUH. Get the shorter ones..I think they are 3-4" long. If there is a swap meet go to it. You may be able to find some there used for cheap. Otherwise they are $15-25 each. You could probably get away with one. I like the christmas tree shape for versatilaty. also get a bunch of 80grit and higher cartridge rolls to smoot it out. hmm... a good tool store will have polishing compound. I was told to use it with a scotch bright pad. They had those there too. You cut the pad into little disks and use them with the grinder. just put a little pollish on the pad.

There are articles out there if you google home head porting etc. And look through the tech pord at turboford.org for info and pics. There's a guy on there named boport that is pretty good.
Good luck. I hope you try it so I can hear if you noticed any differance cause I won't be driving mine for a while.

God Bless You
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
2.3L Member

I'm grabbing a head from a JY and doing the whole thing to it, I just want to get a head thats the same as my car so I know what to do (in case I screw up)

I have an air compressor and a die grinder. I'll be trying to do all of this over the weekend and over summer just to keep me busy and stop me from going crazy.

The singh grooevs are something new but I hear it give you better MPG, more complete combustion, and you can run more timing without detonation (ping)

I have a few links to some posts, so if you are interested in doing this just let me know and I'll post the links

The sad thing is, with 15 PSI, straight back exhaust, and a bobs log, it still feels slow...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007
Apprentice
2.3L Member

just looked up what singh grooves are. Interesting. carefull: loss of compression and they may cause hot spots.

God Bless You
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
2.3L Member

If they do I'm okay with that It just means I have to speed up my turbo plans a bit

Maybe I can raise the compression to 10:1 for some more power

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
2.3L Member

New design, will it work?

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007
Apprentice
2.3L Member

Post some of those links if you don't mind. I may want to try it. I read a little about it and if I get another "fun" car I would possible try it on the one I am working on now.

The new design may just work. the pics I found were of volvo heads. The cuts were simular to that shape. I wonder if the middle cut on your design will leave too little material at the tip and cause a hot spot. I realy don't know. If you do it post some pics. That would be great.

I may go look at a 1982 mustang gt this next week. If it's in good enough condition I might just buy it. Then I'd finish my 2.3l car as a daily driver. I might go ranger roller cam after all to keep the cost down and mileage up. These singh grooves sound neat if they can get me a bit more gase milage.

keep up the good work on that stang.

God Bless You
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
2.3L Member

http://somender-singh.com/component/...page/Itemid,1/
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...=66779&page=24
http://www.cadillacpower.com/forum/i...=6059.msg65231
http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...t=groovy+heads
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/more...es-108566.html

I'm going to try and pick up a head this weekend if it doesn't rain and nothing else goes wrong with my car

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page