Ford Mustang Forum banner

eliminating egr help

5K views 46 replies 8 participants last post by  Stustu07 
#1 ·
I already made a block off plate as well as removing the egr valve but my only problem is that I have my check engine on is there any way to fool the computer into thinking the egr is connected?

#3 ·
That is the question. Per Tom Renzo. On a turbo car actually a good idea to leave in place. Has something about cooling the rear 2 cylinders and preventing gasket failure. Do a search and actually read it. I am going from memory of what he said and how he said it. . Maurice

#4 ·
EGR(exhaust gas recirculation) takes inert gas(exhaust) and recirculates it...inert means it doesnt burn or react...just takes up space...for a full reasoning behind it use google...problem is the EEC system is pretty basic and only knows what its been told.
it expects to see this inert gas at pre-designated times, if you remove the EGR valve and system the computer has no idea and maps fuel and spark with the intent of adding inert gas, while the computer can adjust trim to compensate you'll always encounter a rich or lean condition because the EEC can only adjust so much..besides the system actually does help reduce green house gases and doesnt sacrifice efficiency...since the average street engine is only 50-60%volumetric efficiency anyway.

#6 ·
No that won't do anything..... Like stated above the computer needs the EGR to function properly.. Most people who delete the EGR are using standalones and make it so that the engine doesn't run rich or lean without it by programming it to what they want specifically... You're running the stock ecu and it needs to EGR to function 100% properly running rich or lean could destroy your catalytic converters.

#8 ·
Well then your car will be either running rich or lean... From what I've read online people who delete the EGR are prepping the car for drag racing... And not street use, which means they don't run the car for very long with it deleted. It's not usually their daily driver... Oh well to delete the EGR put the plate over the location, unplug the position sensor put some dielectric grease in it then tape it up good so no moisture get in the plug. Then screw something into the manifold.... You're gunna have to mess around with the idle afterwards to get it to idle right. And to make it run properly you're going to need either a standalone like moates 1/4 horse, pimp or something else.... I don't know what the long term effects of blocking the EGR is! (It's not really a "performance" mod)

#9 ·
there is a way to fool the computer...the EEC measures voltage, figure out what voltage it looks for closed ...build a loop off the referance and put a resistor in line till you get the voltage you need. but you will still have a problem with your map because the EEC is still going to think its there and act accordingly. so go ahead, but...when your looking all over the US for a stock head cause you detonated yours to death....we warned youbravo.gif

#10 ·
Is the check engine light on? If so I would check codes. I doubt the egr will light the light but it will store as a code when codes are pulled. Since I run a c-4 and a turbo auto computer. I do not have a check engine light but the computer when I pull codes shows me I am missing the A4ld trans stuff. Maurice

#13 ·
Ok so if it's running lean why don't I just get hotter plugs or open up the gap to get more spark thus having more spark balancing it out and I also have a costume intake I made lol I'll put a picture soon the pipe is 3" but also feel a bit of difference because of more air coming in

#21 ·
The EGR is necessary for many reasons. If you are an auto Tranny and remove the EGR you can damage the unit because the modulator sees bogus signals. Also the removal of the EGR allows the cylinder temps to skyrocket and the ECM will pull out timing because of detonation. basically a bad idea and people for some reason remove them . If you are reprogramming or using a stand alone you can tune it out. Other than that better off keeping iot and making you tranny happy and prevent pinging and blowing a gasket. Peace tom:smile:

#23 ·
Running lean is not GOOD. By the way the EGR does not work @ WOT or idle anly cruse. Remember a lean engine is always running hotter. The EGR reduces combustion heat and that is a big PLUS. Peace Tom

#25 ·
Good idea that is why you have a cell light. Peace tom:wink:

#32 ·
its off an aerostar they come factory with the aluminum driveshaft but I beleive only the awd ones are the exact size for the stang. Mines longer but I'm going to take it to get cut and balanced in a shop near me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.