Ford Mustang Forum banner

My Rims are Dangerously Close to my Struts

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mg man 75 
#1 ·
i have some rims on my 92 2.3L Fox hatchback. they aren't stock and i just noticed that my wheels are really close to my struts with a small spacer on it. i have p195/55R16 tires in the front. my friend told me to get some adapters to 5 lug so it would create a larger spacer. i was thinking of buying some Pony wheels that come with P225/55/R16 tires. but he has general mustang knowledge and i wanted some 2.3L experts :)

the picture with my foot at the bottom is my rear driver's side tire

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
i think that the problem that you have is that the rims look like they have too much of a positive offset- which means that the face of the rim is too much outward for the car like in the picture (most rims are zero offset). a more positive offset usually makes the wheel go more into the fender (almost touching the shocks like your situation) while a negative one usually yields a wheel to be more out. if you can take a wheel off then check in the back of the rim for the size itll be like in the second picture where 18=diameter, 8=width, and 55=the offset and compare them to the pony wheels. the pony wheels should not cause any problem though since most people run those.

Attachments

#4 ·
if you can take a wheel off then check in the back of the rim for the size itll be like in the second picture where 18=diameter, 8=width, and 55=the offset and compare them to the pony wheels. the pony wheels should not cause any problem though since most people run those.
i looked behind the wheels and the closest thing i could see was 6.5jx16ch E-49.5

#3 ·
thats what i was thinking was that the spot for the lug nuts were too far outward so thats why they were rubbing. also would 225/55/16 be bad for my little 4 banger? someone told me that they wouldnt be good because the tires are bigger and would be heavier and would make the car slower and make my brakes less effective. if it was bad i was thinking maybe moving my current rear tires (205/55/16) to the front and put the 225s on the back.
Any thoughts and or opinions?

#7 ·
A thought convert to 5 lug. There is a sticky at the top in tech with lot of info. There is a real cheap way. Ranger rotors and Ranger axles and then the cost and benefits go up. Maurice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.