Ford Mustang Forum banner

89 Stang-Possible to remove the negative cable from the top?

697 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Stustu07 
#1 ·
Where it bolts to the engine, obviously. :x
Unless mine isn't at the stock location.
Car has A/C and power steering and automatic trans.

It is bolted on somewhere under the power steering pump. I can feel it, but couldn't get a ratcheting wrench on it.

Do I need to go at this from underneath? What size is the nut or bolt? Are these cars SAE or metric, or worse, a combination? I was trying an SAE sized wrench.

Thanks,
Russ

#2 ·
They're metric (for the most part) some things here and there are SAE but you'll find like 90% of stuff are metric and the other 10% SAE just a few random sizes -.- and you need to go from underneath the card for the battery cable

#4 ·
LOL yeah these cars came from an era where the U.S. Was confused about if they would join the rest of the world that they pushed to use metric and then changed their mins last minute, deciding they weren't going through with the change... You can blame your leaders :) anyways... Yeah you can get away with a cheap ratchet set I have one that has both metric and Sae pieces in it... And all my wrenches are metric... Everything was bought to work on this car :p wanna know why the car is mostly metric? It may have been designed and assembled in the U.S. but the parts were built in Mexico ;)

#5 ·
I couldn't remember when we gave up that nonsense.

I used to have a complete set of metric tools, not sure what I still have of them. I know I have a set of sockets and a couple of more or less complete wrench sets hanging around. I was going to put together a tool box to carry in the car, guess I might as well get that together.

Thanks,
Russ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.