I need help please - Ford Mustang Forum

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
I need help please

i want to buy a 2008 GT and at some point in the future i would love to get it to break 700hp at the wheels. i know that the stock block and internals, transmission and rear end cant handle that power and i need help to find what i should put in the car before i start adding power. i know ill need a forged block and internals and id love to know whats the best i can get without spending a ridiculous amount of money, i dont say cheap because theres nothing cheep when it comes to this stuff haha.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016
GT Member

Why are you set on 700 rwhp? Out of a 4.6, you're hitting race car territory and will likely be limited to race fuel or E85 regardless of modifications. Realistically, 575 rwhp would be ideal, unless you're wanting to drop $30k+

You'll need:
Forged H-Beam Manley rods - factory rods are only good for ~450rwhp
Forged pistons at a 9.5-10:1 ratio
New bearings
Head gaskets
Exhaust gaskets
Main bolts
Head bolts
Billet oil pump gears
Have your factory crank balanced or get a forged steel crank. The factory crank is fine at 575 rwhp.
Department of Boost GT450 kit
Eaton M122 supercharger (stock 07-12 GT500)
GT500 throttle body
2010+ GT500 CAI
FRPP 52lb/hr fuel injectors (13 GT500)
FRPP dual GT500 fuel pump kit
8 rib belt system
Frankentensioner (Department of Boost)
Urethane engine mounts
Clutch
2013 GT500 Heat Exchanger & Intercooler pump.

This should cost around $7500 and have you planting 575 at the wheels on pump gas (better power/weight ratio than a Hellcat).

To push it a little more, you can port your heads, add VSR cams, big long tube headers, but each of these upgrades is more than a grand each alone.

If you're dead set on 700, look into a Brenspeed B326 long block and Department of Boost R-Spec kit. Those two will add up to about $25k (more than 3x what 575rwhp will cost you).

Current:
2007 Mustang GT 5-speed 3.31 gears, Hidden Hitch Receiver, Barton Short Throw, JLT Series 3 CAI, Steeda UDPs, Off-Road H pipe, Borla Touring Axle Back, and Brenspeed SCT X4. 255/45ZR18 front 295/40ZR18 rear
Piecing together DOB:
2011 GT500 M122, TB, HE, & CAI | Bosch WP | DW 340lph pump| 8 rib conversion | FRPP 47lb | AEM wideband
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
i wish to make a 700hp daily driver car by using a pro-charger and having the boost curve at higher rpm so i have a small amount of boost at low end, 3000rpm and less, to drive around normally while having the real boost at 4500+rpm. i say 700 because id like a 90mm blower and tb. plus my uncle has a naturally aspirated 625hp saleen from simply porting the intake and injectors and id like to have more power than him. if not id hope for 600hp at the wheels. i belive i can start with the setup u just told me but use the pro charger instead of an eaton. thanks for the help i really appreciate it. ill have the exhaust like the one in this vid here,
its the mean sound ive been looking for for years

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
also whats the transmission and rear end rated for on stock 08 gt?
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016
PONY Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

with that kind of money (08' GT 12k ish + 7.5k-25k ish in mods and headache = 30k ish) look for an older Shelby GT500 (not the pumped up GT) for 30k ish, turn key and goooooooooo. or get a 13'-14' track pack car and mod that. just my .02$ good luck
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl817 View Post
with that kind of money (08' GT 12k ish + 7.5k-25k ish in mods and headache = 30k ish) ... just my .02$ good luck

I'd also suggest a 2011/12 'Yote and a Beefcake Special Vortech before dumping that kinda $$$$$ into a 2008. Early 'Yotes are under 15k these days ..

""uncle has a naturally aspirated 625hp saleen from simply porting the intake and injectors""

What ezactly does the uncle have ????

2010 Grabber Blue Mustang GT, Forged 4.6L Roush TVS and other stuff ... The modding shall never end ...
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
since im swapping out the engine i can get an 08 gt for 7k and add those upgrades for 7500-10000 dollars
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
my uncle has a saleen mustang from the same era and stock it was 425 hp
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016
MACH I Member

https://books.google.com/books?id=8B...%204.6&f=false

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by power hungry gt View Post
my uncle has a saleen mustang from the same era and stock it was 425 hp

Mehh...... N/A??? They ported a plastic intake manifold? Larger injectors won't increase power young squire.

jlee910 likes this.
post #11 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
i think he swapped the intake then ported it
post #12 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
how much would it cost in labor to have everything done?
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

The Saleen is supercharged for sure, with the Saleen twin-screw supercharger no doubt.

Once you go above about 450 RWHP you need to upgrade pretty much everything.

Instead of bench racing with theoretical dyno numbers; why not go to the road track and have some real fun? Forget about horsepower, make it go around corners instead.

If you really must win the dyno war, go with the used GT500 and put on a smaller blower pulley and you're there.
jlee910 likes this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
The Saleen is supercharged for sure, with the Saleen twin-screw supercharger no doubt.

Once you go above about 450 RWHP you need to upgrade pretty much everything.

Instead of bench racing with theoretical dyno numbers; why not go to the road track and have some real fun? Forget about horsepower, make it go around corners instead.

If you really must win the dyno war, go with the used GT500 and put on a smaller blower pulley and you're there.

I imagine the reason for the '08 model choice has primarily due to how much he can afford to spend "up front." If someone has the money for a 700 horsepower daily driver they'd probably just go get a high end "supercar." It's hard for a guy that can only afford a $12k car to come up with another $10k+ worth of disposable income. It is for me at least.
OP: What do you drive now? Since this is a daily driver you want, what will you drive while the mustang is torn apart?
If you had a 300-400 rwhp car you'd be faster than just about everything else on the road with the exception of the super high-end stuff that I rarely see. Chances are if you do see a "supercar" it'll be driven by an old man anyway and he won't race you.

GT Member

It sounds like you're basing this off of word of mouth numbers, not dyno results and don't truly realize what 700hp entails.

My father had a 70s F-100 with a balanced and blue printed 428 under the hood. It dyno'd out right around 600 naturally aspirated and would lift the front tires up leaving the line. He drilled the shocks out in an attempt to keep them on the ground. 4mpg highway. Two 3/8" fuel lines. He broke transmission supports and motor mounts loose to where the transmission would hit the cab of the truck leaving the line. I highly doubt your uncle's Saleen is pushing that kind of N/A power because that's what it takes, and it's hardly streetable (or possible with a 4.6 3v N/A).

Now, if your uncle's Saleen really is pushing that kind of power, it's got a blower, which a Saleen blower won't reach those levels on a 4.6, so he's got larger blower. You say it had 425 horses stock, which a Saleen S281SC had 465 at the crank stock (around 400-420 at the wheels). The Saleen blower is simply not big enough to feed enough air for 625 at the wheels (maybe 625 at the crank with supporting mods, but I doubt it), hence my reasoning for pointing you towards GT500 blowers.

Now, I'm not trying to rag you on any of this, only offer some advice. If I were you, I would buy the stock GT and drive it. When you want more power, go with the DOB kit: M122, 2010+ CAI, 2013 HE & IP, FRPP 52lb/hr injectors, dual GT500 fuel pumps, but don't touch the motor. Dyno it at 450rwhp and leave it for a while. You sound like you're stuck in a peak numbers game and don't realize this car will be under 3800 pounds with this set up and be producing slightly more power than a stock 2007-2009 GT500 (and drive like one, daily driver material). Once you want more, build the bottom end and crank up the boost to hit that 575 mark. Unless you're devout on the drag strip, I doubt you'll want to reach higher than that, but if you do, that's where the real money hits and it gets serious.

Regardless of what you choose to do, I look forward to seeing your build.

Current:
2007 Mustang GT 5-speed 3.31 gears, Hidden Hitch Receiver, Barton Short Throw, JLT Series 3 CAI, Steeda UDPs, Off-Road H pipe, Borla Touring Axle Back, and Brenspeed SCT X4. 255/45ZR18 front 295/40ZR18 rear
Piecing together DOB:
2011 GT500 M122, TB, HE, & CAI | Bosch WP | DW 340lph pump| 8 rib conversion | FRPP 47lb | AEM wideband
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page