2010+ Brakes for my 2008 GT - Ford Mustang Forum

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

2010+ Brakes for my 2008 GT

I am getting close to having to replace my front rotors on my 2008 GT. I get some pedal pulsing when they get hot during some aggressive canyon driving. I know I don't need to get a $2500 big brake kit for the type of driving I do, and I plan on getting better pads and rotors, regardless. I would like larger rotors to decrease pedal effort a bit in conjunction with the upgraded pads, but I don't want to spend a boatload of money, because I know it really isn't crucial.

....however, I am under the impression that I can put in the later GT brakes (not the Brembo kit) which I believe are about 1.5" larger and still use my existing calipers with later model caliper brackets.
What I need to know is:

1. Is this true.
2. What parts do I need (part numbers and what models they would be from)
3. What year did they change (2010 or 2012, etc.)

The wheels on the car are from a car that had the Brembo upgrade (19" premium wheels) so clearance won't be an issue.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017
GT Member

So I never knew that the newer GT's had slightly larger rotors.

'05-09 had 12.5" front rotors stock, newer GT's had 13.2" rotors for the base model and then 14" rotors on the Brembo cars. But the "base" brakes all used the same caliper. Huh.

Well, if they're all the same caliper I would assume you could just upgrade the rotors and get the right pads...the difference in size is only about 3/4" of an inch in diameter, so that's only 3/8" per side. I doubt that would have much an impact on braking performance honestly.

'05 Mustang GT Premium
CMS Stage 1 cams, C&L Racer, Lito tune, Jeg's oil sep, CMDP, SR UDP's, JBA Ceramic LT's & o/r H, Magnaflow resonators, Ford Racing Touring axle back, BMR springs, Koni STR.T, BMR LCA's & backets, J&M upper & mount, J&M Al panhard, DIY panhard brace, Steeda Tri-Ax, smoked corners, smoked LED taillights
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017
GT Member

Garage
I think if you just upgrade the brake pads, you'll be fine. The OEM pads can't take to much aggressive braking, as in canyon driving, they over heat quickly and get mushy and then you're subject to boiling the brake fluid.

IF MY CAR WENT AS FAST AS THE MONEY I SPEND ON IT, I'D WIN EVERY RACE

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikapp View Post
I think if you just upgrade the brake pads, you'll be fine. The OEM pads can't take to much aggressive braking, as in canyon driving, they over heat quickly and get mushy and then you're subject to boiling the brake fluid.
I agree with this and I would try this first.

If you insist on bigger hardware, a budget friendly way is to run 2015+ GT brakes. They are 4 piston calipers with 15" rotors and should be a nice upgrade over stock. The calipers are $100 per side from Tasca Ford & Rockauto and they are pretty much a direct fit if you have wheels that can clear them. Just needs 9/16" diameter spacers to go between the caliper & mount. This would be cheaper than any big brake setup on the market.

2007 Mustang GT/CS coupe
Procharged--cammed--Kurgan tuned--coilover suspension
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40th GT View Post
I agree with this and I would try this first.

If you insist on bigger hardware, a budget friendly way is to run 2015+ GT brakes. They are 4 piston calipers with 15" rotors and should be a nice upgrade over stock. The calipers are $100 per side from Tasca Ford & Rockauto and they are pretty much a direct fit if you have wheels that can clear them. Just needs 9/16" diameter spacers to go between the caliper & mount. This would be cheaper than any big brake setup on the market.
I am trying to picture where the spacers would go, and how that would set the caliper farther out radially.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017
GT Member

Garage
If you do decide at some point to go with larger rotors and a 4 piston caliper, be sure to upgrade the brake lines as well....braided.

IF MY CAR WENT AS FAST AS THE MONEY I SPEND ON IT, I'D WIN EVERY RACE
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ball View Post
I am trying to picture where the spacers would go, and how that would set the caliper farther out radially.
They go between the caliper and the spindle. Apparently '15+ GT rotors have fents on the face of the rotor rather on the back so that changes the spacing a bit.

Also, they use 14" rotors, not 15". The six piston Brembo equpped '15+ GT's have 15" rotors.

'05 Mustang GT Premium
CMS Stage 1 cams, C&L Racer, Lito tune, Jeg's oil sep, CMDP, SR UDP's, JBA Ceramic LT's & o/r H, Magnaflow resonators, Ford Racing Touring axle back, BMR springs, Koni STR.T, BMR LCA's & backets, J&M upper & mount, J&M Al panhard, DIY panhard brace, Steeda Tri-Ax, smoked corners, smoked LED taillights
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

To answer some of the original questions: the GT front brake rotors got a little bigger in 2011 (13.2" IIRC)

I don't have the part numbers handy, but there are some threads on here about it and you could find it on line at a parts place such as tascaparts.com

The 2011+ GT brakes could be a low cost minor upgrade. I have a feeling the 2015+ brakes would end up costing as much or more than a Brembo kit and more hassle due to the adaptations required.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017
PONY Member

I just looked through the Tasca catalog. Calipers are $90 per side, and the rotor is $57.50 each. Then $65 for a front set of OE style pads and figure $35 for shipping and you can have the whole thing for $400. For another $150 I bet you can get high performance pads.

2007 Mustang GT/CS coupe

Last edited by 40th GT; 02-22-2017 at 10:50 AM.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I just looked through the Tasca catalog. Calipers are $90 per side, and the rotor is $57.50 each. Then $65 for a front set of OE style pads and figure $35 for shipping and you can have the whole thing for $400. For another $50 I bet you can get high performance pads.
The calipers from the earlier years through 2014? are the same (for the non-Brembo cars), so you don't need those to convert from the earlier to the later GT front rotors.

You do need the bracket that was used on the 2011+ cars to shift the calipers outward to accomodate the bigger rotors.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
The calipers from the earlier years through 2014? are the same (for the non-Brembo cars), so you don't need those to convert from the earlier to the later GT front rotors.

You do need the bracket that was used on the 2011+ cars to shift the calipers outward to accomodate the bigger rotors.
I was talking about converting to 2015 parts which feature 4 piston calipers.

2007 Mustang GT/CS coupe
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for the replies, so far. The 2015 brakes do give me something to think about. I'd need to know more about the spacer dimensions to either make them or get them. Would I need different dust guards?

I, also, wonder if the 4 piston calipers would require a change in master cylinder. I don't think it would because in terms of brake design, 2 piston calipers (acting against a stationary pad) move the same amount of fluid as 4 opposing pistons, and, also, apply the same amount of clamping force.

But this option would increase the price of what I was thinking of doing (not nearly as much as a Brembo, or other big brake kit, but still). I am planning on upgrading pads and have to replace the rotors...(whether I get OE style or drilled is to be determined for aesthetic reasons really). What size rotors wouldn't really change the cost much, and the 2012 caliper brackets can be had for about $30 a set refurbed. I just have to look at a couple 2012 Gt's to see if the extra 3/4" looks any bigger. Bear in mind, I know the biggest improvement in stopping power is going to come from pads, so going to the 2012 rotors would mainly be to try to fill out the massive empty space in my rims. LOL.

The 2015 rotors, however, would give better braking feel even with the OE pads, so I have to see what more would be required to install them. I will be selling one of my motorcycles in the next month or two, so I will have a little extra cash burning a hole in a pocket......
PONY Member

The people who have done this swap say there is no need for a new master cylinder or ABS block. Any extra area that needs more fluid from the bigger calipers can be topped off through the reservoir. You can even run the stock lines if you wanted to but it's a good idea to replace them with stainless steel lines if your mileage is getting up there. The caliper spacer needs to be a 9/16" inner diameter and it's the same kind that is used in bolt washers. I can't say for sure if a new dust guard is needed.

Also it is tires that decrease stopping distance, not braking equipment. Your brakes could overpower your tires which will lock up your wheels under braking. Larger rotors and calipers will improve pedal feel and fade resistance, but it's the tires that do more of the work.

2007 Mustang GT/CS coupe
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
The people who have done this swap say there is no need for a new master cylinder or ABS block. Any extra area that needs more fluid from the bigger calipers can be topped off through the reservoir. You can even run the stock lines if you wanted to but it's a good idea to replace them with stainless steel lines if your mileage is getting up there. The caliper spacer needs to be a 9/16" inner diameter and it's the same kind that is used in bolt washers. I can't say for sure if a new dust guard is needed.

Also it is tires that decrease stopping distance, not braking equipment. Your brakes could overpower your tires which will lock up your wheels under braking. Larger rotors and calipers will improve pedal feel and fade resistance, but it's the tires that do more of the work.
Thanks. It's the thickness of the spacers that I was trying to determine. That would be, at least, as important as the ID.

And yes, I am not trying to decrease stopping distance. I want to increase initial bite, and pedal feel, and decrease pedal effort. That comes from the pads, and the rotor size. Stopping distance is limited by the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road. I get all that. Plus, the rims on this car are much larger and heavier than stock, so the added inertia really needs to be compensated for.
PONY Member

Sounds like you got it figured out. Glad I could help out.

2007 Mustang GT/CS coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page