Ford Mustang Forum banner

Engine Noise

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  RumbleStang 
#1 · (Edited)
Engine Noise/Serpentine Belt?/Pulley?

On a cold start my car sounds fine when sitting but when i put it in gear and drive away sounds like i have a metal card on my fan or dragging metal on the ground - Like a loud winning - This only lasts for a few minutes till the engine is warm and goes away - I can drive down the road get the car to temp. stop the engine to get gas and this does not happen again - Just happens after a long stop to cool the engine- or 1st thing in the morning..Belt no good??? or possible the pulley?

Any ideas?

#2 ·
Look up "5.4 3v cold start rattle" that is most likely the issue you are having. Where i would start would to ensure that a motorcraft filter is used for the oil as the anti drain back valves on off brand filters are either A. Worthless or B. Nonexistent. If that does not help then we can go from there.

#4 ·
I googled that cold start rattle and i dont think it is that cause it seems to happen when you start your engine - all the videos i seen are example of it happening in there drive way - I do not have a problem till it is in gear and out of my driveway and on the road - I just did the oil change used the royal purple filter not the motor craft - maybe it could be that like you said?

#5 ·
I will check to see if it is low - If it is only going to have that problem when it cold?

#7 ·
#8 ·
I was actually using that symptom as a "baseline" for noise identification. Since i am not there i cannot pinpoint the vocals of the noise. I have had phasers rattle under load due to them failing. That might be the problem or the separator as marylandGT pointed out. Since it rattles/whines i would have no reason to believe that the pump is failing because the relive success ford had with the 4.6/5.4 ps pump since it lasted until EPAS came out with low failure rates. If you could post a yr model(found on the white sticker under hood to pinpoint exact model) then we can delve more in depth. Good luck.

#9 ·
""http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ml#post3221112
From your discription, it sounds like this may be your problem.""

So far this has worked! I am amazed it could be this! - Did it before i lifted it - once i did what was described it went away - I can not wait to see if it does it again on a cold morning on a cold start - I just don't get that my car never did this in years that i had it - i put it away for 6 months or so and this just happens on my 1st drive? The metal just warps or shifts during the winter months???? so weird to me!

Thanks!:grin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.