Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005+ Mustang > 2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech Forum

2011+ Talk | 2011+ GT | 2011+ V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 03-13-2008   #1 (permalink)
UKWildcat is offline Made Member

S197 Member

UKWildcat's Country Flag  View UKWildcat's 116 photos
Hampton Roads   Virginia
UKWildcat is on a distinguished road
Default Check engine light question on a 2006 Mustang GT

I searched the forums and found a few threads pertaining to the check engine light, but none that addressed the issue I ran into tonight. So here is what happened, I'm going to provide as much information as possible:

I was driving home from work tonight and I hit a small pothole going about 15 mph (while turning before merging onto a road), it made a thud sound, but no portion of the car or or rim or anything hit or scraped the asphalt. And only one tire went over the pothole. A few miles later I noticed that my CEL was on (while going about 60 mph), and this was the only thing that I could think would contribute. I'm almost positive that I would have noticed this light right after I started my car and proceeded to drive home, so I'm fairly certain it happened right after I hit this pothole.

When I got home I turned off my car and restarted it and the light was still there, I did this a couple more times and the light stayed on (no flashing). I read where disconnecting the neg. battery terminal and letting it rest for 5-15 minutes, and starting the car back up might solve the problem by resetting the computer. If I do this, and the light does not come back on, is it safe to assume that there is no problem? and it was just a fluke reaction? Or should I still take it by the dealership and get them to check it out? I'm assuming that if the light stays on after I disconnect the terminal, I will have to take to the dealer.

I have a 2006 GT w/ 11k miles that is still under warranty. The car is completely stock with exception to the stripes and louvers. If I have to drive it by the dealership to get them to look at it, there won't be a diagnostic charge will there? I would certainly hope not.

So does anyone have any thoughts, ideas or suggestions for me? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2008   #2 (permalink)
SVTgirl is offline Rookie

SVTgirl's Country Flag  View SVTgirl's 4 photos
Oak Harbor   Washington
SVTgirl is on a distinguished road

i would just go to auto zone and have them run the codes for you. theyll do it for free real quick and painless. they just stick a little gizmo into your computer, and itll tell you WHY the light is on. if its something serious, when you do reset your computer, itll just come right back on the second time you start your car. but yeah just go to autozone before you go to the dealer and then whatever they say, then take it to the dealer with you actually k nowing what the problem is... feel me? take care.. and very very nice ride....

lala
BBK Cold Air Intake, BBK 65mm Throttle Body, Diablosport Predator Tuned
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 03-14-2008   #3 (permalink)
tached_out is offline Senior Member

5.0L Member
S197 Member

tached_out's Country Flag  View tached_out's 37 photos  View tached_out's HomePage
Clovis, Ca   California
tached_out is on a distinguished road

what she said....
Check out my build thread in 2005+ Talk
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 03-14-2008   #4 (permalink)
stlwagon is offline MODERATOR

Classic Member
S197 Member

stlwagon's Country Flag  View stlwagon's 60 photos  View stlwagon's 2 classified ads
Southern   Maryland
stlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon

That's an odd one. Report back here if you get the code read and we'll see what we can come up with.
Unread 03-14-2008   #5 (permalink)
Mick is offline GT Member

S197 Member

Mick's Country Flag  View Mick's 24 photos
Lafayette   New Jersey
Mick is on a distinguished road

If the car is running ok, I do not think it is a major problem. When you get the code there will be numbers and letters and that you will have to have somebody look up for you that has a code book. You may be able to tell a little by what the letters say.
Makes me feel like a kid every time.
Unread 03-14-2008   #6 (permalink)

S197 Member

Hampton Roads   Virginia

I disconnected the battery/reset the computer earlier this morning before I went to work and the CEL went away. I drove to and from work (~40 miles) and the light never came back on. So I guess all is well and it was just a fluke. The car ran fine after the initial CEL indicator, and it runs fine now.

Thanks for everyones input - I had no idea Auto Zone will check codes, for free nonetheless! That is great to know.

Thanks again!
Unread 03-14-2008   #7 (permalink)
stlwagon is offline MODERATOR

Classic Member
S197 Member

stlwagon's Country Flag  View stlwagon's 60 photos  View stlwagon's 2 classified ads
Southern   Maryland
stlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat View Post
I disconnected the battery/reset the computer earlier this morning before I went to work and the CEL went away. I drove to and from work (~40 miles) and the light never came back on. So I guess all is well and it was just a fluke. The car ran fine after the initial CEL indicator, and it runs fine now.

Thanks for everyones input - I had no idea Auto Zone will check codes, for free nonetheless! That is great to know.

Thanks again!
I could have been. Normally if it's going to repeat it will happen within 3 driving cycles.
Unread 03-14-2008   #8 (permalink)
IrishStang is offline Senior Member

S197 Member

IrishStang's Country Flag  View IrishStang's 23 photos
Vero Beach   Florida
IrishStang is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Thanks again!
Happy to hear it's running well... If the light comes on again check the code and we'll help you out.
06 GT Tungsten Gray|Stick|JLT CAI|Bamachips 93 race tune|JBA Longtubes|O/R H|Corsa axleback| Hurst shifter|Cervini Ducktail|CDC Chin Spoiler|CDC Shaker|Eibach Pro-Kit Tokico D-Specs|CHE Panhard Bar, UCA, LCAs|Chrome DD bullitts|Blackout Panel|SilverHorse Medallion|Smoked Corners|Black Bezels|Shelby Hood Pins
Unread 03-16-2008   #9 (permalink)

S197 Member

Hampton Roads   Virginia

After two more days of driving the light still has not reappeared. Looks like I am in the clear. If it reappears I'll be sure to get the code and let you all know what it is.

And again, I appreciate everyones input!
Unread 03-17-2008   #10 (permalink)
Snackmaster

I would suggest you eventually invest in a tuner/ CAI combo. The tuners will also allow you to read your own DTCs and give you peace of mind when situations like this arise. But, at the very least, use Autozone or other parts retailers to read the codes for free. You will get charged for Ford to do it if you bring it in to the dealership. If it was me I'd still check it now just to make sure there are no stored codes even though the light is off. It was probably just a fluke but it never hurts to know for sure.

Take care,
Snack

Unread 03-17-2008   #11 (permalink)

S197 Member

Hampton Roads   Virginia

So Ford will charge me if the car is under warranty and the light isn't serious and doesn't really require them to do anything to fix it? It wouldn't surprise me at all if this was true, I am just curious. I will definitely stick with Auto Zone to read my codes until I get a tuner though, if Ford is going to charge me.

I know this is kind of off topic, but I have every intention of getting a CAI w/ tuner sometime in the near future. From what I've gathered, this will void my warranty which is why I am hesitant to do so. I've read where the CAI alone may not void the warranty, depending on if it caused the problem or not, but what about the tuner? This will most certainly void the warranty correct? or does it depend on the problem? and the dealership?

Any recommendations for a CAI / tuner combo? The C&L w/ SCT X-CAL 2 appears to be popular (that I've seen on Brenspeed). I still don't fully understand tuning though, still researching this. The difference between the different tune manufacturers? not sure if after you have the tuner you need to continue to pay for tunes when you add another mod? or can you configure them yourself? Is there a good site or sites that explains all of this?

Thanks in advance.
Unread 03-18-2008   #12 (permalink)
Silverstang07 is offline Apprentice

S197 Member

Silverstang07's Country Flag
Buna   Texas
Silverstang07 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Silverstang07

The voiding of someones warranty varies from dealer to dealer......we personally say that if we cant prove it was the cause of the problem, nothin' we can really do about it besides fix the car.........BUT you better be nice to the techs and dont raise ANY he!! in there if its not needed, because if you do have something that can void your warranty and we know it, we will can your warranty. We had a guy bring in a diesel not too long ago and he was being really mean to everyone, so we took a picture of an aftermarket oil filter and blamed it as the cause of the problem, sent it to ford, and BAM, voided warranty. also, you shouldnt have to pay a dime (unless there is a deduct, which there shouldnt be, to get a ford dealer to check your car under warranty, all you need is a signature, no money)
*Hurst
*custom grind Comp cams
*Eibach Pro Kit-J&M LCAs
TRIANGLE SPEED SHOP, Orange, Tx
312rwph (mustang dyno, stock intake)
Unread 03-18-2008   #13 (permalink)
Snackmaster

Quote:
So Ford will charge me if the car is under warranty and the light isn't serious and doesn't really require them to do anything to fix it? It wouldn't surprise me at all if this was true, I am just curious. I will definitely stick with Auto Zone to read my codes until I get a tuner though, if Ford is going to charge me.

I know this is kind of off topic, but I have every intention of getting a CAI w/ tuner sometime in the near future. From what I've gathered, this will void my warranty which is why I am hesitant to do so. I've read where the CAI alone may not void the warranty, depending on if it caused the problem or not, but what about the tuner? This will most certainly void the warranty correct? or does it depend on the problem? and the dealership?

Any recommendations for a CAI / tuner combo? The C&L w/ SCT X-CAL 2 appears to be popular (that I've seen on Brenspeed). I still don't fully understand tuning though, still researching this. The difference between the different tune manufacturers? not sure if after you have the tuner you need to continue to pay for tunes when you add another mod? or can you configure them yourself? Is there a good site or sites that explains all of this?

Thanks in advance.
Hey UK, I wasn't taking into account your car being under warranty. Out of warranty there will definately be a diagnostic fee. There is nothing wrong with going to the dealer... I just like being prepared. I have a great relationship with our local dealer and there is respect both ways. Like SilverStang said it's all in how you approach the situation.

If you feel more comfortable waiting until your warranty is up before you go the CAI and tune route then by all means do that. If anything that might give you some time to save up a bit of "fun money" to spend on it. There are tons of good CAIs on the market and most are very affordable. Do a little research on previous posts here on the site and you'll be able to figure out what's best for you. A lot of Stangers have been going for the very affordable JLT combo recently. I personally have the Steeda as I got it free from a buddy of mine who went the SC route. I love it but I have no other experience with any other models.

Take care,

Snack

Unread 03-20-2008   #14 (permalink)

S197 Member

Hampton Roads   Virginia

Thanks for the input and advice guys. It is much appreciated. I am now thinking about going with a set of axle back exhausts before I do the CAI / tune. It is a bit cheaper and I would like to improve the sound a bit, even though I do enjoy the stock exhaust.

Anyways, while on my way home tonight the light came on again, almost a week later. No potholes or anything this time, just cruising home on the highway. It still drives just fine so no telling what it is. Fortunately I work within a 1/2 mile of the Ford dealership where I purchased the car, so I will just drive it by there before I head to work in the morning; hopefully they can help me out on such short notice. I really hope it is nothing serious. Just thought I'd keep you guys updated, and I'll be sure to let you know what the problem was.
Unread 03-21-2008   #15 (permalink)
ksmithey is offline Apprentice

4.6L Member
S197 Member

ksmithey's Country Flag  View ksmithey's 4 photos  View ksmithey's 1 classified ad
Greensboro   North Carolina
ksmithey is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ksmithey

Hey UK, have you added gas since the initial CEL came on? It could be just a loose gas cap. I once revved up my car (when I had SLP's) and shook the gas cap loose and it gave me a CEL.

Btw, nice ride, love the stripes.
2006 GT Tungsten Grey...Steeda CAI w/High Flow Elbow | SCT | CMDP's | Steeda UDP's | Hurst Short Throw | Steeda Ultralight Springs | CHE LCA's | FRPP GTA's | 18" Anthracite Deep Dish Bullitts w/ Pony Caps | MRT Hood Struts | GT500 spoiler | GT500 Pedals | CDC Classic Chin Spoiler | Midwest Auto Gear Mirror Covers | 3D Carbon Center Mount Grille | Sequential Tailights | Xenon Side Scoops

Mods on deck: need more money!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162