Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005+ Mustang > 2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech Forum

2011+ Talk | 2011+ GT | 2011+ V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 04-01-2010   #1 (permalink)
BlondeGTGirl is offline Rookie

4.6L Member
S197 Member

BlondeGTGirl's Country Flag  View BlondeGTGirl's 2 photos
St.Louis   Missouri
BlondeGTGirl is on a distinguished road
Default Camshaft Position Sensor 2006 Mustang GT

Hey guys!

So, my check engine light came on the other day and I tested it to find that it was my camshaft position sensor. I haven't really looked at it yet, is this hard to replace on an 06 Mustang GT? Also, I have been have some surging issues, some missing, and also when my car would be coasting it would sometimes completely just turn off, no jerking or anything, just shut down. Could these issues be from that sensor?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2010   #2 (permalink)
toorbeenee is offline PONY Member

toorbeenee's Country Flag  View toorbeenee's 6 photos
Dubai
toorbeenee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeGTGirl View Post
Hey guys!

So, my check engine light came on the other day and I tested it to find that it was my camshaft position sensor. I haven't really looked at it yet, is this hard to replace on an 06 Mustang GT? Also, I have been have some surging issues, some missing, and also when my car would be coasting it would sometimes completely just turn off, no jerking or anything, just shut down. Could these issues be from that sensor?

hi there ,,,i think the alternator is going bad soon,,,i have seen similar problems in this forum,,,go have it checked,,,good luck
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 04-01-2010   #3 (permalink)
redruder is offline Senior Member

4.6L Member
S197 Member

redruder's Country Flag  View redruder's 268 photos
Oahu   Hawaii
redruder is on a distinguished road

The cam position sensors are located in front just below the valve covers. It's a 10 minute replacement, 20 if you do both which I would reccomend if you decide to replace. However, more often than not it's your altanator that's the problem. Your cam pos sen will cause some surging due to send a bad signal.
Forged bottom end, Ported heads, Saleen super charger, 2.8 blower pulley/15psi, Dual stage water to air intercooler, AFCO heat exchanger, battery relocated, Twin GT500 fuel pumps, T-56 trans, Aluminum flywheel, Aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 rear gears, Eaton TruTrac Diff, TA Performance rear end girdle, Racecraft suspension system, UCA, LCA, panhard bar, 15" slotted front rotors w/ 6 piston calipers, Carbon Fiber front splitter/rear diffuser, and bunch of other stuff
RWHP/RWTQ is adequate
Unread 04-01-2010   #4 (permalink)

4.6L Member
S197 Member

Oahu   Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by toorbeenee View Post
hi there ,,,i think the alternator is going bad soon,,,i have seen similar problems in this forum,,,go have it checked,,,good luck
I had my alt checked before it went south and they said it was good. Two days later I limped the car home on battery power.
Forged bottom end, Ported heads, Saleen super charger, 2.8 blower pulley/15psi, Dual stage water to air intercooler, AFCO heat exchanger, battery relocated, Twin GT500 fuel pumps, T-56 trans, Aluminum flywheel, Aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 rear gears, Eaton TruTrac Diff, TA Performance rear end girdle, Racecraft suspension system, UCA, LCA, panhard bar, 15" slotted front rotors w/ 6 piston calipers, Carbon Fiber front splitter/rear diffuser, and bunch of other stuff
RWHP/RWTQ is adequate
Unread 04-01-2010   #5 (permalink)

Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by redruder View Post
I had my alt checked before it went south and they said it was good. Two days later I limped the car home on battery power.
i have changed mine to a non clutch....still working good,,that is if i drive the car
Unread 04-01-2010   #6 (permalink)
stlwagon is offline MODERATOR

Classic Member
S197 Member

stlwagon's Country Flag  View stlwagon's 60 photos  View stlwagon's 2 classified ads
Southern   Maryland
stlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon

I've only seen one CPS DTC actually turn out to be a failed CPS.
Unread 04-01-2010   #7 (permalink)

4.6L Member
S197 Member

Oahu   Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
I've only seen one CPS DTC actually turn out to be a failed CPS.
I think that was mine. That fixed one problem then the alt went on strike about a week later.
RWHP/RWTQ is adequate
Unread 04-01-2010   #8 (permalink)
stlwagon is offline MODERATOR

Classic Member
S197 Member

stlwagon's Country Flag  View stlwagon's 60 photos  View stlwagon's 2 classified ads
Southern   Maryland
stlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by redruder View Post
I think that was mine. That fixed one problem then the alt went on strike about a week later.
Then are you really sure that the CPS was actually the culprit?
Unread 04-01-2010   #9 (permalink)

4.6L Member
S197 Member

Oahu   Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
Then are you really sure that the CPS was actually the culprit?
Yep, it took care of the failure code it was giving me and a few days later I had a completey new code followed by a complete alt melt down.
RWHP/RWTQ is adequate
Unread 02-24-2011   #10 (permalink)
LoveMySexyBlkGT is offline Rookie

LoveMySexyBlkGT's Country Flag
San Diego   California
LoveMySexyBlkGT is on a distinguished road
Cool YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME - Thanks so much : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by toorbeenee View Post
---------------------------------------------------------------
Hi : )

I am brand new to this forum and wanted to tell everyone that contributed to this thread THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart.

It was pretty funny (in retrospect) that I had to take my car to 2 different shops to diagnose the problem with the check engine light on my 2006 GT convertible. Anyway, we were getting the PE0340 and PE0344 codes, which obviously indicate a problem with the cam shaft position sensor. However, replacing the sensors obviously didn't rectify it, so both shops were completely dumbfounded that they couldn't accurately diagnose the problem....In fact, it was kind of amusing that they were treating me like the "ignorant little blonde" that oftentimes occurs, based on my past experience, at least. *When it happens, this is incredibly frustrating.

Nevertheless, this time, it was so rewarding that I was able to find this thread, and the very next day, I marched over to the shop to show them what I'd found. Again, more of the 'you don't know what you're talking about, Little Lady' routine, so I agreed to leave my car overnight again.

The very next morning, I received a very contrite and apologetic voicemail message from the service manager advising me that there would be no charge for labor because they didn't believe me, but, after finding this forum on their own, they finally agreed to replace the alternator, which was indeed confirmed to be the problem.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you. I will always check this forum first because I just can't tell you how much time it saved me. I actually had been getting ready to go out of town on business and was in danger of having to postpone the trip, so again, my gratitude is endless....: )

My heartfelt thanks to you all.

Best,
Unread 02-24-2011   #11 (permalink)

Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMySexyBlkGT View Post
---------------------------------------------------------------
Hi : )

I am brand new to this forum and wanted to tell everyone that contributed to this thread THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart.

It was pretty funny (in retrospect) that I had to take my car to 2 different shops to diagnose the problem with the check engine light on my 2006 GT convertible. Anyway, we were getting the PE0340 and PE0344 codes, which obviously indicate a problem with the cam shaft position sensor. However, replacing the sensors obviously didn't rectify it, so both shops were completely dumbfounded that they couldn't accurately diagnose the problem....In fact, it was kind of amusing that they were treating me like the "ignorant little blonde" that oftentimes occurs, based on my past experience, at least. *When it happens, this is incredibly frustrating.

Nevertheless, this time, it was so rewarding that I was able to find this thread, and the very next day, I marched over to the shop to show them what I'd found. Again, more of the 'you don't know what you're talking about, Little Lady' routine, so I agreed to leave my car overnight again.

The very next morning, I received a very contrite and apologetic voicemail message from the service manager advising me that there would be no charge for labor because they didn't believe me, but, after finding this forum on their own, they finally agreed to replace the alternator, which was indeed confirmed to be the problem.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you. I will always check this forum first because I just can't tell you how much time it saved me. I actually had been getting ready to go out of town on business and was in danger of having to postpone the trip, so again, my gratitude is endless....: )

My heartfelt thanks to you all.

Best,
now you can drive your car and enjoy your trip:smoke:,,,glad to see that this tread helped you out,,,,,all the best
Unread 02-24-2011   #12 (permalink)

4.6L Member
S197 Member

Oahu   Hawaii

Welcome to AFM and I'm glad we could help. This place is a good source of info. If it can be broke at least one of have done it. Some of have even broke things that shouldn't have been physically possible.
RWHP/RWTQ is adequate
Unread 03-13-2011   #13 (permalink)
AlmostALemon is offline Rookie

AlmostALemon's Country Flag
Los Angeles   California
AlmostALemon is on a distinguished road
Angry Camshaft Position Sensor Failed

[So, my check engine light came on the other day and I tested it to find that it was my camshaft position sensor. I haven't really looked at it yet, is this hard to replace on an 06 Mustang GT? Also, I have been have some surging issues, some missing, and also when my car would be coasting it would sometimes completely just turn off, no jerking or anything, just shut down. Could these issues be from that sensor?]

This car was running great, then all of the sudden... BAM! Check Engine Light comes on and the car had stalled for no apparent reason after exiting freeway. 2 'Lean' codes, and 2 fuel pressure sensor codes... So, swapped fuel pump out, fuel pressure sensor tested fine after that. Sensor acted up one more time, then was okay in a day or two. A week later, my check engine light was on AGAIN. It has been surging now and again, but nothing major. I put a scanner on it... This time it was the Camshaft Position Sensor - spit out two identical codes... my mechanic buddy told me to replace both of the CPS at the same time... should be a quick fix to swap out both (just one 10mm bolt) and only about $14 a piece at auto part store. That will be tomorrow's project - I'll keep y'all posted.
Unread 03-15-2011   #14 (permalink)
dlukegt06 is offline Rookie

dlukegt06's Country Flag
Grand Ridge   Illinois
dlukegt06 is on a distinguished road

Yeah im getting the code for camshaft position sensor, but it will just appear driving down the road. Car doesn't lose any power, and continues to drive fine. I'm guessing all it is is a bad sensor. Does anyone have any ideas if it could be worse than that.
Unread 04-07-2011   #15 (permalink)
REgle is offline Rookie

REgle's Country Flag
Decat   Texas
REgle is on a distinguished road
Default Wait and see

Thanks guys and gals. My light just came on today and when checked it did report CPS with a 340 code. Because I am in town and close to home I think I will take a wait and see attitude on this one. If the alternator is going to fail it should fail hard. Am I in any danger of hurting other components if it is in fact the CPS? The car is running fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162