Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005-2014 Mustangs > 2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech Forum

2011-2014 Talk | 2011-2014 GT | 2011-2014 V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 11-05-2010   #1 (permalink)
adams is offline Apprentice

S197 Member

adams's Country Flag
canada   Nova Scotia
adams is on a distinguished road
Default BBK throttle body issues

im sure this is a popular isssue.

I had to replace my tps sensor on my 05 mustang gt.

ever since i replaced the sensor and reloaded my tune from my sct handheld i now get a rapid clicking noise from my throttle body. Only when the car hasnt been started in awhile and when its cold out.

if i dont wait until it stops clicking before i start the car the rpm shoot up to 4000 and sits there for about 3-5 seconds.

i adjusted the voltage on the tps sensor on the bbk unit to match the exact voltage that it read when i had the stock throttle body on it.

it never clicked for the past year i had the car but now all of a sudden its doing it.

o and the voltage is around 1.21 right now. i measured it when it was on the stock tb and adjusted it to 1.21 when i put the bbk one back on.

is it normal?
is it fixable? or is it just the cold weather. its about 5 degrees celcius here right now.

what do i do.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2010   #2 (permalink)

S197 Member

adams's Country Flag
canada   Nova Scotia

anyone have any idea??
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 11-11-2010   #3 (permalink)
dynobrat is offline PONY Member

dynobrat's Country Flag  View dynobrat's 6 photos
Town   Ontario
dynobrat is on a distinguished road

it's hard for anyone to on here to say without looking at it first hand. I just installed a bbk 62mm twin tonight. Best thing to do is remove the actuator motor and have a boo at what is going on. If it's acting that bad, remove the entire throttle body, clean it, grease it, clean it again, re-install. It sounds like it just might be dirty and need a good cleaning. Once the actuator and tps is remove work the throttle plate and see how it's acting free moving.

That should at least get you started to figuring it out.
Unread 11-11-2010   #4 (permalink)

S197 Member

adams's Country Flag
canada   Nova Scotia

ya i agree its hard to diagnose over the web.

i had to replace the tps because the car kept going into fail safe. i got codes for tps and throttle actuator. so i replaced the tps and reset the voltage for the sensor just as all the write ups tell you how to do it.

but the clicking only seems to happen in cold weather and only the first time i start the car. i looked at the gears for the throttle body and they move freely. what would cause the throttle actuator code?? would it be to replace the electric throttle motor possibly?

the car never made this noise until i replaced the tps
Unread 11-11-2010   #5 (permalink)

Town   Ontario

just so you know you can order a complete throttle body right from ford for the 2005 model @ $ 159.00, (that includes the tb, tps, and actuator motor.) they are marked down because of the year. It might be worth it to buy one so you have a secondary backup just in case, so you don't leave yourself stranded. They're very sensitive so it's hard to say if it's the motor or something else. If you can't get one for that price call Steve @ Parts @ Campbell Ford in Ottawa, toll free (google it) and they can have it sent to your dealership location in Nova Scotia
Unread 11-13-2010   #6 (permalink)

S197 Member

adams's Country Flag
canada   Nova Scotia

Thank you. I almost want to go back to the stock tb. i ran my bbk one for about a year with no problems but ever since i replaced the tps it is always making a fast clicking sound right before i start it. and if i do not wait until the clicking stops before i start the car it will shoot up to 4000rpm.

its frustrating because the tb always worked for me and never cause issues. could the voltage on the tps being off cause it to click?
Unread 11-14-2010   #7 (permalink)

Town   Ontario

it's definitely outta whack somewhere, try and find another tps and try it? I don't think anyone has the perfect answer for you, unfortunately. Take it off, clean with qtip and reinstall it, maybe it's a faulty sensor? Explain what is happening to whereever you bought it and see if you can exchange it?
Unread 11-17-2010   #8 (permalink)

S197 Member

adams's Country Flag
canada   Nova Scotia

thank you.

unfortunatly i just replaced the tps right before it started doing this. hmmmm
Unread 05-10-2011   #9 (permalink)

S197 Member

adams's Country Flag
canada   Nova Scotia

after hooking up a new snap on scan tool i am getting a tb code that is "actuator ice blockage" code. thing is there is nothing blocking the tb plate and theres no ice at all. its above freezing. it has done this ever since i replaced the tps sensor. iv adjusted it many times and have tried to fix it but no luck. even borrowed a friends stock tb just to get the voltage from it. still no luuck.

any other sugestions
Unread 05-11-2011   #10 (permalink)
Slowstang66 is offline Apprentice

Classic Member

Slowstang66's Country Flag
Atlanta   Georgia
Slowstang66 is on a distinguished road

Did you adjust the TPS for the correct Voltage? You'll have to do a search for the correct voltage setting because I don't remember what it is.
Unread 05-11-2011   #11 (permalink)

Town   Ontario

what is the voltage at with the key in the on postion? It doesn't sound like it's calibrated properly. are you able to move the throttle body plate by hand with little ease a few times and then re-check the voltage? I would simply use a digital voltmeter first to verify the voltage, adjust if necessary and then cycle the key three times to do a "soft reset" and start the car.

You should be able to move the throttle body plate with your finger, and it will close on its own. If it takes excessive or considerable force to open the plate with your finger, something is definitely wrong. There will be some spring tension but not enough to make it too hard to open manually. Maybe you should remove the actuator motor and re-seat the spring and calibrate it again. The voltage should be adjusted to match 100% to what the stock tb had, or you're asking for problems.

It's important to check the voltage, then manually move the throttle plate and check it again to make sure that the tb plate closes fully and goes back again to the exact voltage.. If you just install the throttle body and adjust the voltage without working the throttle body plates it won't be exact. I only say this because when I installed the bbk tb, i checked the voltage, thought it was set then worked the throttle body plate and
when it closed it it was drastically off and had to adjust it again.

Borrowing another tb is useless because every engine has a different tps voltage from the factory. Why do you not have your original throttle body? You should always keep stuff like that even if you don't intend to use it. I can't remember the exact number for mine but I think it was 1.21, and I think the range is anywhere from 1.13-1.27 but don't quote me
Unread 05-13-2011   #12 (permalink)

S197 Member

adams's Country Flag
canada   Nova Scotia

i have checked the plate opening and closing. it opens ok and springs shut like normal. i checked the voltage with the stock throttle body. and matched it with the bbk one. but something stioll seems out of whack.. frustrating. it only clicks for 5 seconds and only on first start up in the morning.

and yes i checks the voltage with the key on.

thanks for the help
Unread 11-16-2011   #13 (permalink)

S197 Member

adams's Country Flag
canada   Nova Scotia

well i know its an old thread.....but back to the same issue.

I ran the car all summer and it seemed to work fine. now that its getting colder out it seems to be clicking again as if the throttle blades are jamming up. what i have come to think is that the metal that the bbk unit is made of tends to contract and shrink in cold weather and jam up the throttle blades. or the plastic gears jam up more.

thing is i never had this issue for the first 2 years i owned the car. and last summer when i changed the tps sensor i am nor having this failsafe engine issue that wont go away.

tonight i drove the car. it clicked when i turned the key foward... i waited till it stopped then started the car. it ran fine. I went 2km down the road and as i was cruising it reved up to 4500rpm then shut off. now am getting the same engine failsafe codes which are 3 codes. Thing is when i set the tps voltage according to bbk specs it seems to fluctuate. Once i set it to 1.21 it will stay there for a min. but when i go to check it the voltage changes to 1.31 or even 1.11 sometimes. it never stays the same. I know the bbk unit is junk. thing is i bought the car with it already on and dont have a stock throttle body that i can keep. Plus the person who dyno tuned my car has my MAF scalings set up for the 62mm bbk throttle body and not the oem one. So the tune would be off too.

im having horrible luck. It does this to me about every 5 months.

Anyone have a solid fix or any input??

thanks
Unread 11-16-2011   #14 (permalink)
1 riktig svensk is offline Made Member

S197 Member

1 riktig svensk's Country Flag
Sacto, CA   California
1 riktig svensk is on a distinguished road

Sell the BBK throttle body, and get GT500 unit...I just posted a thread about an alternate source for that TB. Ford F250, F350, Excursions, etc. I was having issues with my BBK unit as well....you're not alone. Mine would also rev up high at start up....stay at 3-4000 for 3-5 seconds. Even with a tune.
2005 GT premium convertible. Crimson red leather, 18" w Falken rubber. Procharger P1 HO intercooled kit, GT500 throttle body, C&L intake manifold, Edelbrock shorties, Spec stage 3 clutch, Shelby shorty shifter, 3" Granatelli exhaust. Bilstein Shocks and struts, DBA rotors, Hawk pads, Ford Racing swaybars and springs, billet lower control arms, adjustable upper, adjustable panhard bar.

Corn fed.....523.2rwhp/513.9lbft
Unread 11-16-2011   #15 (permalink)
aiminglow is offline Made Member

S197 Member

aiminglow's Country Flag  View aiminglow's 28 photos  View aiminglow's HomePage
Forest   Virginia
aiminglow is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to aiminglow

Have you tried cleaning the tb and maf? that could help things a bit. Maybe pop of the end where the spring is and make sure it's set right. There should be a video on youtube about opening the bbk tb.
Flow: Flowmaster American Thunders.
Stereo: Pioneer DEH 2200ub.
Oh and of course, the lead foot mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172