Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005+ Mustang > 2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech Forum

2011+ Talk | 2011+ GT | 2011+ V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 08-21-2011   #1 (permalink)
Clocked92 is offline PONY Member

S197 Member

Clocked92's Country Flag
Swift Current   Saskatchewan
Clocked92 is on a distinguished road
Default What's the best Longtube Headers with Catted X-pipe combination?

Exactly as the title asks...I wanna put LT headers on my car but keep the cats. I've been looking at the Borla XR-1 racing headers but then Borla does not make a Catted X-pipe to fit them. I've noticed that there aren't a lot of shorty catted x-pipes around... What do you guys suggest?

"Speed costs money, How fast do you want to go?"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2011   #2 (permalink)
AgentOrange is offline Apprentice

4.6L Member
S197 Member

AgentOrange's Country Flag  View AgentOrange's 13 photos
Ft Walton Beach   Florida
AgentOrange is on a distinguished road

What's your budget?

ARH & Kooks make a nice set-up with a catted X, but they're in the 1300+ USD range, depending on where you source them from.

American ARH2005M134 ARH LongTube 1-3/4 304-SS Headers w/Cats + X Pipe for 2005-10 Mustang GT V8 - ARH2005M134, American Header

Kooks Mustang Header and Catted X-pipe Combo (Manual 05-10 GT) at AmericanMuscle - Free Shipping!

Pypes makes a header that's almost a duplicate of the Kooks, in 304 stainless, and offer a matching off-road X that you could buy some aftermarket cats for...

Pypes Long Tube Headers w/ Shorty X-pipe (05-10 Mustang GT) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Just a few examples for you to look at. There's several more brands out there, just gotta keep on looking
2007 Grabber Orange GT, 5 spd, 3.55's, CDC classic front & GT500 rear spoiler, JLT C.A.I. w/Brenspeed 93 tune, Steeda UDP's & CMDP's, Hurst Comp+ Shifter, BMR STB, FRPP Hot Rod cams, GT500 suspension w/Vogtland Sport's, J&M LCA's, CHE anti-squat brackets, Pypes LT's & o/r X - Next up, E-Force! :shiny:
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 08-21-2011   #3 (permalink)
sqidd is offline Shelby Gt 350 member

S197 Member

sqidd's Country Flag  View sqidd's 101 photos  View sqidd's HomePage
South Eastern   Michigan
sqidd is a name known to allsqidd is a name known to allsqidd is a name known to allsqidd is a name known to allsqidd is a name known to allsqidd is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocked92 View Post
Exactly as the title asks...I wanna put LT headers on my car but keep the cats. I've been looking at the Borla XR-1 racing headers but then Borla does not make a Catted X-pipe to fit them. I've noticed that there aren't a lot of shorty catted x-pipes around... What do you guys suggest?
Headers are a PITA and way too expensive for what you get. I wouldn’t put headers on a car until I already had a blower and built bottom end so I could make 500+hp.

I put headers on to get over 600hp. I still wish I didn’t have them, wish I didn’t have to pay for them, wish I didn’t have to put them on and wish I didn’t have to deal with the increase in noise.

I wish I stayed at 450hp and still had manifolds.

But if your going to get some go with the Kooks.

2012 GT Vert Brembo, mostly stock

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 374rwhp/518rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?
Unread 08-21-2011   #4 (permalink)
Sleeperstang07 is offline Made Member

Classic Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Sleeperstang07's Country Flag  View Sleeperstang07's 2 photos
Chicago   Illinois
Sleeperstang07 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqidd View Post
Headers are a PITA and way too expensive for what you get. I wouldnít put headers on a car until I already had a blower and built bottom end so I could make 500+hp.

I put headers on to get over 600hp. I still wish I didnít have them, wish I didnít have to pay for them, wish I didnít have to put them on and wish I didnít have to deal with the increase in noise.

I love my headers for the sound and there was a decent increase in power, but Squidd definitely has a point, be sure that headers are what you want before you invest in them because they can be a pain.
Black 2006 GT T-2 Torsen Diff, 3.73 gears, FRPP 90MM CAI, SCT X-Cal 3 tuner/ Speed Inc. dyno tune, FRPP catbacks, Steeda Triaxe w/ Hurst stick and T handle, SVT strut mounts, FRPP strut brace, Steeda UDP, JBA long tube headers, JBA O/R H-pipe, CHE LCAs, CHE anti-squat brackets, Steeda adj. UCA, Steeda heavy duty engine mounts, FRPP AC delete, Shaftmasters aluminum driveshaft, Hotchkis swaybars, Corbeau FX1 Pro

DONE: 1968 Convertible PROJECT candy apple red 289 w/ edelbrock 4bbl 600 cfm
Unread 08-21-2011   #5 (permalink)
JimmyTango is offline Apprentice

JimmyTango's Country Flag
Winnipeg   Manitoba
JimmyTango is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Like the other guys have said, there's better places to put your money. Also if you are planning on staying NA or low boost, then staying with a catted 1 5/8 header. 400-450 hp is too low to make use of the 1 3/4 primaries. Maybe check out Pypes long tubes with catted x or h pipe if you're on a budget.

I have the Borla XR-1's I like they're sound but they lack a goilet/firecone/spike. Installation was kinda easy as far as long tube installation goes. It only took me 4-5 hours by myself with ramps.
2008 Mustang GT, Premium, 5 SPD, 3.55 gears, Edelbrock E-force S/C, Edelbrock CAI 3.5 pulley, kenne bell BAP hurst shifter, M/T 265/40/18 D/R borla xr-1 LT headers, Offroad X, magnapack catbacks, BMR UCA/LCA Dynotech ALUM D/S spec 2+ clutch Autometer triple gauge, dual aeroforce interceptor, WOTBOX

Best personal times.
(0 to 60 4.09)(7.62@91mph)(11.85@119mph)(1.68 60 ft)
Unread 08-21-2011   #6 (permalink)
hubkap is offline Senior Member

hubkap's Country Flag  View hubkap's 17 photos
Falls Church   Virginia
hubkap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I put headers on to get over 600hp. I still wish I didnít have them, wish I didnít have to pay for them, wish I didnít have to put them on and wish I didnít have to deal with the increase in noise.

My car was more enjoyable (and fit with my sleeper motif) with the factory stock exhaust - manifolds back to mufflers - than it is with the loud-ass Kooks and Bassani axle-backs.

But like said, in order to make the power I'm making now, I had to sacrifice that.

My builder gave me lots of LT options to choose from, so long as they were the Kooks he had already ordered for me, lol.
Unread 08-21-2011   #7 (permalink)

S197 Member

Clocked92's Country Flag

Thanks for the input. The reason I thought about headers is because I saw a SRT challenger yesterday and it had headers and I'm pretty sure it had different cams and it sounded SOOOOO good. Maybe it was mostly the cams that made it sound like that. I might just go that rout instead. Cams and axle backs.

It sucks because where I live there aren't a lot of modded stangs around to listen to and figure out what I want.

Unread 08-22-2011   #8 (permalink)
Dixie_92391 is offline Apprentice

4.6L Member
S197 Member

Dixie_92391's Country Flag
Troy   Alabama
Dixie_92391 is on a distinguished road

Axle backs are gonna give you the most change in sound for the lowest cost compared to going straight to headers. Youtube a bunch of videos and see which one you like best, that will change your sound significantly. Cams IMHO don't necessarily change the sound/tone itself, but the lope is addicting! and throwing down $800 plus install charges seems overkill just to get a sound you want. HP gains are seen with them as well. No doubt headers will too, but most longtubes shift the power. Drop off lower end TQ for upper end HP. Same with cams that actually are grinded for power gains instead of just sound or lope MOST of the time (there are exceptions). Then if you get, say, FRPP hot cams, and you decide you want to supercharge, those cams gotta go. Have a good idea of what you want before you spend loads on one setup and then change your mind.

Axle back suggestions: SLP Loudmouths, Corsa Xtremes, Borla Stingers, FR500S... I'm not a huge fan of chambered axleback for these 3 valves... just sound weird to me. Very 'tinny'. I wish I had the money for Corsa's or the FR500S... Both sound nice with no drone. Good Luck!
SCT SF3/X3 Tuner
Tuned by Henson Performance
Unread 08-22-2011   #9 (permalink)

S197 Member

South Eastern   Michigan
sqidd is a name known to allsqidd is a name known to allsqidd is a name known to allsqidd is a name known to allsqidd is a name known to allsqidd is a name known to all

Quote:
I might just go that rout instead. Cams and axle backs.
This car has stock manifolds, catted Magnaflow X-pipe and a Pypes “Super System” (mufflers and resonators). I think it’s the best sounding S197 I have ever heard with a reasonable daily driver sound level. It’s pretty tame when cruising along but when you get in it the sound is glorious.

Don't get me wrong, I like how the louder setups sound. But just not most of the time. Too loud to listen to the stereo, talk on the phone or even talk to the person you are with effectively. I'm 40 now though, when I was 20 I wouldn't have cared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie_92391 View Post
Then if you get, say, FRPP hot cams, and you decide you want to supercharge, those cams gotta go.
Nooooooooo!, not Hot Rods!:nogrinner They are tough to make run right at low RPM's. If you are going to go for "sound cams" I think the Detroit Rockers are the way to go.

Quote:
Axle back suggestions: SLP Loudmouths, Corsa Xtremes, Borla Stingers, FR500S... I'm not a huge fan of chambered axleback for these 3 valves... just sound weird to me. Very 'tinny'. I wish I had the money for Corsa's or the FR500S... Both sound nice with no drone. Good Luck!
I agree, I'm a HUGE Flowmaster guy from days be gone. But they just don't fit the bill anymore. Straight through "cans" are the only way to go with the S197.

Good luck!

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 374rwhp/518rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

Last edited by Snackmaster; 08-22-2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: no buying or selling in the general forums... please use the free classifieds.
Unread 08-22-2011   #10 (permalink)

4.6L Member
S197 Member

Troy   Alabama

Squidd, I think you like hearing the supercharger whine in that vid more than the exhaust!!!
SCT SF3/X3 Tuner
Unread 08-22-2011   #11 (permalink)

S197 Member

South Eastern   Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie_92391 View Post
Squidd, I think you like hearing the supercharger whine in that vid more than the exhaust!!!
Yeah, supercharger whine from the front and exhaust from the rear, perfect.

Unread 08-22-2011   #12 (permalink)

S197 Member

Clocked92's Country Flag

Haha I love the supercharger whine too but can't really afford that at this point in my life. I'd love to do it someday down the road but right now it just isn't even a possibility.

I've always thought about getting the Borla Stingers, I've watched so many Youtube videos of them and love the sound but I would still love to hear one in person because a video just doesn't do it justice sometimes.

Unread 08-22-2011   #13 (permalink)

4.6L Member
S197 Member

Troy   Alabama

I have heard a GT with the Borla's in person, and believe me. It sounds AMAZING. The borlas have great tone to them, and aren't obnoxiously loud. Owning a mustang, you will know that there's aftermarket exhaust there. I was gonna get them for the longest time, but as a college student, couldn't quite scrape up the money for them, so Loudmouths it was for me. I would say go for them, they are very popular for a reason. Great quality and sound.
SCT SF3/X3 Tuner
Unread 08-23-2011   #14 (permalink)
Sharad is offline Site Sponsor

Sharad's Country Flag
Fort Myers   Florida
Sharad is a jewel in the roughSharad is a jewel in the roughSharad is a jewel in the roughSharad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
The American Racing Headers longtube/x-pipe combo (catted) seems to be a really popular choice lately. Here's our package: 2005-2010 Ford Mustang GT ARH 1 5/8 Longtube Headers/X-Pipe w/Cats - UPR Products and AFM members get a discount off of that price. (PM me for the discount code) My dad has the ARH long tubes on his '09 and it sounds absolutely wicked.

Quote:
This car has stock manifolds, catted Magnaflow X-pipe and a Pypes “Super System” (mufflers and resonators). I think it’s the best sounding S197 I have ever heard with a reasonable daily driver sound level. It’s pretty tame when cruising along but when you get in it the sound is glorious.
I would do unmentionable things to that car if I had some one on one time with it...

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
Unread 08-23-2011   #15 (permalink)
Al ALUCARD19 is offline PONY Member

S197 Member

Al ALUCARD19's Country Flag  View Al ALUCARD19's 24 photos
Elgin   Illinois
Al ALUCARD19 is on a distinguished road

I have Stainless Works LT with high flow catted X-pipe and magnaflow magna packs and they sound great, my car is a DD and if you take off easy not to loud but if you get on it, it really sounds like a stock car. On the highway the drone is not bad unless you keep it in the lower gears and let the revs rise but then your mileage will really suffer. And if you want it really loud then don't get the catted X-pipe but just the off road X-pipe then it gets really loud when you lay into it I know I have the straight through pipe when I take it to the track. This set-up is not cheap $2200.00 complete LT catted X-pipe and magna packs.
C&L racer cai, FRPP 62mm polished throttle bodies, custom Sutton Ford Racing Tune, Spyder alum ds, Steeda tri ax shrt thrw shftr,BMR lowering springs Steeda UCA, LCA, Steeda adjustable panhard bar and panhard bar brace, Steeda G-Trac Brace, Front sway bar mnt brace,SW LT catted X-pipe magnapack exhst 18x9/18x10 blk bullet dp dish rims,reverse c-stripe side stripes, CDC Billet lower grill,custom vista blue 5-spd shifter ball, 2008 Vista Blue GT flush mount side louvers.Eibach frt/rear sway bars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162