2006 GT Idle Problems - Ford Mustang Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011 Thread Starter
2006 GT Idle Problems

So I am having problems with my idle...

I have a 2006 GT, with a Bama Tune, JLT CAI, and MAC Axle Back Mufflers.

The problem I am having is that when I push in the clutch and just coasting my idle will surge between 250-750rpms, almost feeling like it is going to die. However, once I get to a stop it settles at 750-1000rpm and will idle all day long.

Also, when I am driving it everything runs fine. She seems just as peppy as normal, great accelerations. Everything...

I just got a new set of tunes from Bama to see if that was the problem and it seemed to be fine when I first uploaded them, but it is back to normal.

Now it has been doing this for about 2-3 years, however just doing the light surge from 500-750 never really feeling like it was going to die or going down to like 250rpms.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011
BOSS Member
There should be a low idle stop screw on the throttle body. It sounds like it's set too low.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011
4.6L Member
S197 Member
Idle air is set by the tune on a 4.6 & can be adjusted with your hand-held tuner. Don't try to adjust your throttle body. If since it's been doing this for a while as you indicate, try cleaning the throttle body, especially where the throttle shaft goes through the casting. I also had Bama tunes and after loading a new one, throttle response was awesome but then would seem to degrade and not be as responsive as at first. I have no idea what caused this but for me, it was only a driveability issue, not power. The engine made very good mid to upper RPM power with Bama tunes, but they made daily driving in the lower RPM ranges more of a chore.

2007 Grabber Orange GT, 5 spd, 3.55's, CDC classic front & GT500 rear spoiler, Brenspeed 560R TVS2300 S/C, Hurst Comp+ Shifter, GT500 STB, FRPP Hot Rod cams, GT500 suspension w/Vogtland Sport's, J&M LCA's, CHE anti-squat brackets, Pypes LT's & o/r X & 2010 GT500 mufflers :shiny:
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member
Assuming that all necessary cables are pluged in and you have no vacuum leak nor a dirty MAF:

1. Clean the the inside of the throttlebody with carb or throttlebody cleaner.
2. If that doesn't help replace your throttle body with a known good one or new one

I had to replace mine - cleaning didn't help.

2006 Ford Mustang GT (daily driver)
other cars
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011 Thread Starter
Is there a gasket that will need to be replaced if I take the throttle body off, or is it a reusable o-ring style?

Thanks for all the info. I will try cleaning the TB.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011 Thread Starter
Update - I took my Throttle Body off and cleaned it really well. It didn't seem that dirty, except there was clear black build up on the edges near where the butterfly's are. To my surprise it has fixed the surging. It stays around 750rpms right now. It's crazy that it was just that, plus I did put a brand new K&N filter on the end of my JLT...but thanks so much for all the info =)
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page