Ford Mustang Forum banner

2006 mustang gt, won't start

11K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  MasterX 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 GT 4.6 liter engine with automatic transmissions. I parked the car last night and came back to find it would not crank. My brother jumped the started silanoid and got it started. Will not start again..changed the starter, tried jumper cables, searched for loose wires, now what to do? The horn will not blow from steering wheel but will from key fob, security alarm started chiming a week ago when starting and cutting off the engine, all other electrics seem to work. Please help me figure this out.

#2 ·
Suggest you make it clear to readers of your thread what security system you are talking about...passive factory, active factory, or aftermarket, and if so, what brand and model.

Sounds to me from your wording, that you are possibly dealing with an alarm issue not allowing engine to crank.

Also make it clear for us, if the starter will not work (not cranking) or if starter will work, yet engine not starting.

#3 ·
Sounds like it might be something with the computer. You never know what might cause something to cause a glitch that effects things that don't seem to have any direct connection. Did you add any after market parts or replace anything before this started? Reason I ask is I installed an after market iPod addapter to my Shaker 500, and about 2 weeks later my entire dashboard died. Took it to Ford, they replaced half my elec system including my computer, then they pulled the addapter I installed and that fixed it. I didn't believe that it could have been the problem so shortly after I got my car back, I put the addapter back on. Again, about 2 weeks later, dashboard went out. I removed the addapter, and that fixed it. Why an iPod addapter will cause every guage on the dash to die (including the ac) who knows, but you never know what might glitch the system.

#8 ·
Sounds like it could be a PATS issue, which could be the steering column sensor, computer or even the key.

Before anyone says the chips in the keys do not go bad, i guarantee they can, my second key for my car
quit working, and i had to use the other, the dealership replaced it for me tho. There is a decently easy way
to test this theory as well.

Ace Hardware, and some autozone stores have a key test display intended to sell you new keys, they have a little scanner that tells you if they can copy your key type by reading its code. If the chip is working, the scanner will alert you that the key is copyable, or that you must order it. If it does not alert either way, then the keys chip is dead. Just an idea.

I would especially check the key if you have ever used it to pry at anything, used it to jimmy anything, or otherwise used it as a tool which it is not. I see it all the time, prying something loose, or tearing open a package, etc. Never know when you will damage it, or it just goes bad on its own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.