Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005+ Mustang > 2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech Forum

2011+ Talk | 2011+ GT | 2011+ V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 05-31-2012   #1 (permalink)
A Dustman is offline Rookie

A Dustman's Country Flag
Calgary   Alberta
A Dustman is on a distinguished road
Default Hollow cats, good idea? or bad?

I'm debating hollowing out my cats on my stock h-pipe, I'm not expecting any significant performance gains, but I would like the added sound for my stock 07 GT. Where I live there is absolutely no emissions testing, so that's not an issue. Do you guys think this is something worth doing in my case? I could always spend 200 bucks on a new off-road pipe, but if I can get similar results for free...

Thanks,

Dustin
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2012   #2 (permalink)
rob99GT is offline Apprentice

4.6L Member

rob99GT's Country Flag
San Antonio   Texas
rob99GT is on a distinguished road

DON'T gut out cats either remove them completely or get offroad mid pipe

profile for all mods.. with much more to come, if i don't find a Terminator i want!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 05-31-2012   #3 (permalink)

A Dustman's Country Flag
Calgary   Alberta

Why do you say not to?
Unread 05-31-2012   #4 (permalink)
Monkey4now is offline Rookie

4.6L Member
S197 Member

Monkey4now's Country Flag
Annapolis   Maryland
Monkey4now is on a distinguished road

One reason not to gut them, if for some reason you decide to sell or re-install them, you have the cats already.
Unread 05-31-2012   #5 (permalink)
rob99GT is offline Apprentice

4.6L Member

rob99GT's Country Flag
San Antonio   Texas
rob99GT is on a distinguished road

I say not because its restriction in ur exhaust instead of flowing through straight pipe it passes through a useless chamber & it sounds like s***. Ive seen lots of people with gutted cats.. Also why damage a good set of cats? sell em!!

profile for all mods.. with much more to come, if i don't find a Terminator i want!!
Unread 05-31-2012   #6 (permalink)
mustangdave2008 is offline PONY Member

mustangdave2008's Country Flag
Granite Falls   North Carolina
mustangdave2008 is on a distinguished road

The material in there causes cancer, its illegal, and it sounds like ass.
Unread 05-31-2012   #7 (permalink)
GT Gone is offline PONY Member

4.6L Member
S197 Member

GT Gone's Country Flag
Metairie   Louisiana
GT Gone is on a distinguished road

I was in the same situation. Well technically, I still am. I have completely stock exhaust so I know where you're coming from. My girlfriend has stock mufflers and an O/R X pipe and it's pretty loud (although from my experience, x pipes are normally louder than h pipes). I was thinking of doing the same thing but instead doing it with my stock H pipe. But I wouldn't recommend it.

First of all, you never know when your state will start emissions testing, unless your state already does emissions testing. It's nice to have the stock H pipe around for when you need it, doesn't matter the occasion. Because of this reason, I would just buy an offroad X or H pipe, they're cheap and you get to keep your stock H around for when you need it. In New Orleans, there's no emissions testing but they do in Baton Rouge and in a couple of years, it'll spread here. Luckily I have a Mississippi license plate but still, you never know when your state or city/town will start emissions testing. And when that happens, you'll say "oh ****." It could be tomorrow, next month, next year, or even a decade away, but you always want to stay prepared.

Second of all, hollowing or removing the cats with the stock mufflers will sound alright and a bit louder, but it will not sound as good as a set of aftermarket mufflers and an aftermarket midpipe. Because I have stock exhaust, my girlfriend's O/R X and stock mufflers sounds better, but only because it's louder. In reality, my stock exhaust is actually better sounding overall. Hers may be louder, more throaty, and better sounding at low rpms, but when she goes WOT, it's loud but sounds NOWHERE as good as mine at WOT. Maybe it's because hers is more raspy than mine at WOT, but I've also heard the hollowed out stock H pipe and stock mufflers combo, and in my opinion, I'm really not impressed whatsoever. Louder, but doesn't sound as good to me like the stock setup, I can easily tell that all he did was hollow out the cats. He said he didn't like it like he thought he would (he said it sounded like a ****** old Chevy Truck, although maybe he was exaggerating a bit), but just wanted more sound and after a while he said he was regretting it. Like I said, a set of aftermarket mufflers (the mufflers make a huge difference) and an aftermarket midpipe will sound SO much better and it's worth the money, trust me. There's a reason why people save for their exhaust rather than just hollow out the cats or punch holes in the mufflers, it's because it's worth it.

I can always tell when a car (like a Mustang or Camaro) has hollowed/gutted cats with stock mufflers or an aftermarket exhaust system, that's how much of a difference in sound they have. The hollowed cats and stock mufflers I hear on most cars or trucks (not saying ours, but just in general) sound like crap to me. The free route just isn't worth it. Somehow, even a cheap aftermarket offroad H pipe sounds better to me than the stock cats hollowed. Don't know why.

If you want cheap and loud, go for a muffler delete like the Pypes Pype Bombs or the SLP Loudmouth. About the same price as the higher end x pipes (around $300 or so on AM) and sounds much better because it was meant to work with the stock H. And you keep your cats while still being loud so it's a win win. Unless you're like me and have an awkward gasoline smelling obsession. Then you might not be so happy. Some people complain about the smell of an offroad midpipe, but I LOVE the way it smells. Just gotta be careful to protect the brain cells.

Okay, I'm getting off topic. Just save up your money and get an aftermarket midpipe and axle back (or catback). I'm actually at my summer job right now, saving up specifically for my exhaust setup.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

That good ol' red (Boss 302), white (GT/CS) and blue (5.0)!
2008 Mustang GT/CS: 5 speed | FRPP 4.10 Gears | Bama 93H Tune | Magnaflow Magnapacks | Bassani O/R X Pipe | Airaid CAI | MGW | J&M LCAs | Saleens 19x8.5
Unread 05-31-2012   #8 (permalink)

A Dustman's Country Flag
Calgary   Alberta

Well thanks a lot for your replies everyone! Looks like I'll just fork out the cash for a new mid pipe in the near future. Thanks again!
Unread 06-01-2012   #9 (permalink)

4.6L Member
S197 Member

GT Gone's Country Flag
Metairie   Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Dustman View Post
Well thanks a lot for your replies everyone! Looks like I'll just fork out the cash for a new mid pipe in the near future. Thanks again!
No problem man! It'll be worth it, believe me. If I may ask, what kind of midpipe are you getting? X or H?

2008 Mustang GT/CS: 5 speed | FRPP 4.10 Gears | Bama 93H Tune | Magnaflow Magnapacks | Bassani O/R X Pipe | Airaid CAI | MGW | J&M LCAs | Saleens 19x8.5
Unread 06-01-2012   #10 (permalink)

A Dustman's Country Flag
Calgary   Alberta

I'm leaning towards the x, from the videos I've watched it sounds better in my opinion.
Unread 06-02-2012   #11 (permalink)
jrhiggipop is offline Rookie

4.6L Member
S197 Member

jrhiggipop's Country Flag  View jrhiggipop's 10 photos
Monterey   California
jrhiggipop is on a distinguished road

Prior to my current turbo setup, I had Pypes muffler-deletes with the stock H pipe. It was sweet! Then later on I installed a Pypes o/r X-pipe but with the muffler deletes it was just too damn loud...it was wake-the-dead loud, and just annoying. So then I installed Pypes Violator Mufflers. It was sweet, and toned down the sound, but I almost missed my original setup. If I were to do it all over again, I think I would NOT have gotten the o/r X pipe, as the smell is annoying and almost embarrassing when idling at a stop light with the windows down. Also the o/r X pipe is more raspy sounding, and I prefer the deeper throaty sound from the H pipe. My suggestion is to stay with the catted-H pipe, and get Pype Bombs or similar.
Show : Seibon CD carbon fiber hood| 20" black ice wheels| Raxion smoked taillights | chrome billet grilles | Roush rear spoiler | Shelby Hood Pins | Agent 47 mirrors | 5 Cobalt Gauges w/ CDC & SOS pods
Go: Turbonetics turbo kit 60mm 9psi (self installed) | FR shortie's | MSD Coilovers | BBK Throttle Body | Pypes ss Violators | Eibach springs | Tokico D-spec struts/shocks | Hurst shifter | 4.10 gear | Hawk HPS Pads | Hurst line lock | Nitto NT05R Tires
Unread 06-02-2012   #12 (permalink)
hammerdown is offline Banned

hammerdown's Country Flag  View hammerdown's 6 photos
Sierra Vista   Arizona
hammerdown is on a distinguished road

I run my factory manifolds, and H-pipe w/ cats and a set of SLP Loudmouths.

I have had nothing but compliment after compliments after compliment on the exhaust note. Deep and throaty at an idle. Very respectable while cruising and HOLY CRAP - Scares women, children, dogs, and Cheverolets when you mat the skinny pedal.

Here. My car on the dyno so you can get a good idea of the sound :

-HD
Unread 06-03-2012   #13 (permalink)

4.6L Member
S197 Member

GT Gone's Country Flag
Metairie   Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhiggipop View Post
Prior to my current turbo setup, I had Pypes muffler-deletes with the stock H pipe. It was sweet! Then later on I installed a Pypes o/r X-pipe but with the muffler deletes it was just too damn loud...it was wake-the-dead loud, and just annoying. So then I installed Pypes Violator Mufflers. It was sweet, and toned down the sound, but I almost missed my original setup. If I were to do it all over again, I think I would NOT have gotten the o/r X pipe, as the smell is annoying and almost embarrassing when idling at a stop light with the windows down. Also the o/r X pipe is more raspy sounding, and I prefer the deeper throaty sound from the H pipe. My suggestion is to stay with the catted-H pipe, and get Pype Bombs or similar.
All of the Pypes x pipes I hear are way too raspy, even for me. I would never get Pypes after the cars I heard with them. I heard two individual cars with the same setup but different O/R x pipes, and the one with Pypes sounded horrible. I'd rather Magnaflow or Bassani. Bassani has it going on with the idea of removable cats. I like a mixture of rasp and a deep/throaty sound in an exhaust, don't know why.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
catalytic converter, cats, hollow

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162