Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005+ Mustang > 2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

 

2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech Forum

2011+ Talk | 2011+ GT | 2011+ V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 
 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 06-25-2012   #1 (permalink)
H77drk is offline Rookie


Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 8 Threads: 1
 H77drk's Country Flag
Montreal   Quebec
H77drk is on a distinguished road
Smile 2006 mustang GT manual transmission backlash

Hi all
This is my very first post. I am worried about the backlash that gives the mustang a clunk sound when changing gears specially from 1st to 2nd from a stop. Is it normal to have this CLUNK sound if i dont dosage the clutch / gas properly. If i release the clutch less abruply i dont have the thump. But if i release the clutch bit too quick i hear the clunk / backlash and am afraid i am damaging the transmission. Is this normal or i only need to get used to my new 2 weeks old car. Thanks
H77drk is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Unread 06-26-2012   #2 (permalink)
ShortySmalls is offline GT Member

V6 Member
S197 Member


Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,355 Threads: 18
 ShortySmalls's Country Flag
Camdenton   Missouri
ShortySmalls is on a distinguished road
Default

That's the 2 piece drive shaft making that sound

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
__________________
2012 Race Red 3.7L MT82 - Roush Axle-Back Exhaust and Airaid Cold Air Intake
ShortySmalls is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012   #3 (permalink)
Ford-a-Tude is offline Apprentice

5.0L Member
S197 Member


Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 89 Threads: 0
 Ford-a-Tude's Country Flag
Chicago   Illinois
Ford-a-Tude is on a distinguished road
Default

There are a few things in addition to the driveshaft that can clunk. Is everything else on the vehicle stock? Any upgraded suspension components?
There could be a worn bushing in one of the rear control arms or a bolt that has loosened up slightly over the years. I have an 06 as well and I would occasionally get a clunk. It really shouldn't be happening all that often.
__________________
Ford-a-Tude
Ford-a-Tude is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012   #4 (permalink)
JBert is offline BOSS Member

4.6L Member
S197 Member


Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,558 Threads: 57
 JBert's Country Flag  View JBert's 5 photos
Douglas   Massachusetts
JBert is on a distinguished road
Default

most likely it is "normal", nothing to worry about and will not do any damage

like Ford-a-Tude said, it could be other things too -- but it sounds like you are describing "drive train lash" -- it is basically accumulated play from all the joints in the drive shaft and rear-end, and when you reverse the load on the driveshaft all that play comes out in one direction and then clunks in the other direction when you load it the other way again . . . if you get the technique down with the gas and clutch, you can avoid the loading/unloading and the clunking.

Here's what I think is happenning:
1) you are driving forward, the engine is loading the driveshaft "forward", all the play in the joints is taken out in the forward direction
2) when you go to shift, you let off on the gas just before you push in the clutch . . . so now the engine is pushing backwards on the driveshaft, and the play gets taken out in the "backwards" direction -- clunk! (most noticeable in low gears because that's where the engine braking is the strongest)
3) then you give it some gas and let out the clutch, the engine starts pushing on the driveshaft in the forward direction again, the play gets taken out in the forward direction . . . . clunk!

So, if this is really what is happening -- if you push the clutch in just a little sooner, before the engine braking can take the slack out backwards, you eliminate both clunks.

If it is really bad it probably means something is really worn out somewhere in the drivshaft so there is a lot of play and a lot of clunking.
__________________
| 2010 GT coupe | Red Candy / charcoal | 5MT | Premium pkg | Daily Commuter
| whiney FRPP 3.73 gears | Roush CAI | 35% tint | custom STB | FRPP KR's | Bama 93R for the summer | Steeda UDP's | Shaftmasters alum d/s | 19x9.5 GT500 wheels with Goodyear F1's | Steeda Sport springs on GT500 struts/shocks | Brembo brakes | GT500 sway bars | JLT oil sep | TVS2300 still on the wish list
JBert is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012   #5 (permalink)
joe_momma is offline PONY Member

S197 Member


Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 465 Threads: 17
 joe_momma's Country Flag
Rocky Top   Tennessee
joe_momma is on a distinguished road
Default

Sounds like standard drivetrain noise to me. I think every manual tranny car I've had has done this to some extent.
joe_momma is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012   #6 (permalink)
ski
ski is offline GT Member

S197 Member


Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,554 Threads: 20
 ski's Country Flag
Northeast   Pennsylvania
ski is on a distinguished road
Default

My manual 05 GT has been making that same noise for the past 7.5 years w/o any drivetrain problems.
ski is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012   #7 (permalink)
H77drk is offline Rookie


Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 8 Threads: 1
 H77drk's Country Flag
Montreal   Quebec
H77drk is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford-a-Tude View Post
There are a few things in addition to the driveshaft that can clunk. Is everything else on the vehicle stock? Any upgraded suspension components?
There could be a worn bushing in one of the rear control arms or a bolt that has loosened up slightly over the years. I have an 06 as well and I would occasionally get a clunk. It really shouldn't be happening all that often.
Bought it second hand. So dont know about suspensions if changed or not
Thx.
H77drk is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012   #8 (permalink)
H77drk is offline Rookie


Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 8 Threads: 1
 H77drk's Country Flag
Montreal   Quebec
H77drk is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
most likely it is "normal", nothing to worry about and will not do any damage

like Ford-a-Tude said, it could be other things too -- but it sounds like you are describing "drive train lash" -- it is basically accumulated play from all the joints in the drive shaft and rear-end, and when you reverse the load on the driveshaft all that play comes out in one direction and then clunks in the other direction when you load it the other way again . . . if you get the technique down with the gas and clutch, you can avoid the loading/unloading and the clunking.

Here's what I think is happenning:
1) you are driving forward, the engine is loading the driveshaft "forward", all the play in the joints is taken out in the forward direction
2) when you go to shift, you let off on the gas just before you push in the clutch . . . so now the engine is pushing backwards on the driveshaft, and the play gets taken out in the "backwards" direction -- clunk! (most noticeable in low gears because that's where the engine braking is the strongest)
3) then you give it some gas and let out the clutch, the engine starts pushing on the driveshaft in the forward direction again, the play gets taken out in the forward direction . . . . clunk!

So, if this is really what is happening -- if you push the clutch in just a little sooner, before the engine braking can take the slack out backwards, you eliminate both clunks.

If it is really bad it probably means something is really worn out somewhere in the drivshaft so there is a lot of play and a lot of clunking.
Thanks Jbert for this helpful post. This is the. Best explanation. I thoght it would be a matter of getting used to the right cluth / gas combination. Should TCS be off or on during everyday driving ? When the light is off means TCS is off or on ? Not sure. Thx
H77drk is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012   #9 (permalink)
JBert is offline BOSS Member

4.6L Member
S197 Member


Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,558 Threads: 57
 JBert's Country Flag  View JBert's 5 photos
Douglas   Massachusetts
JBert is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by H77drk View Post
. . . . Should TCS be off or on during everyday driving ? When the light is off means TCS is off or on ? Not sure. Thx
you're welcome . . . TCS is personal preference -- I usually leave it alone (meaning on) but some people are in the habit of turning it off

I believe the car thinks it should be ON, so the warning light on the dash illuminates when it is OFF
__________________
| 2010 GT coupe | Red Candy / charcoal | 5MT | Premium pkg | Daily Commuter
| whiney FRPP 3.73 gears | Roush CAI | 35% tint | custom STB | FRPP KR's | Bama 93R for the summer | Steeda UDP's | Shaftmasters alum d/s | 19x9.5 GT500 wheels with Goodyear F1's | Steeda Sport springs on GT500 struts/shocks | Brembo brakes | GT500 sway bars | JLT oil sep | TVS2300 still on the wish list
JBert is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012   #10 (permalink)
markag is online now GT Member

4.6L Member
S197 Member


Joined: May 2009
Posts: 1,077 Threads: 59
 markag's Country Flag  View markag's 14 photos
Metamora   Illinois
markag is on a distinguished road
Default

I just leave my TCS on unless I'm goign to intentionally be spinning the tires. However, if I were to race it (Drag, auto X, open track, etc) I would turn it off so the computer doesn't pull power out when wheelspin occurs. Everyday driving, I just leave it on.
__________________
2008 Mustang GT Deluxe, Black, Manual Transmission, Black Cloth Interior
Show: Katzkin Leather Interior, Matte Black 10" Stripes, NXT Step Performance Axlebacks, Pypes M80 Mufflers (mid mounted), CDC Sequential Tail Lights, 14" Shorty Antenna, Ford OEM Plenum Cover, Ford Semigloss Black Painted Valve Covers, Leather Wrapped OEM Steering Wheel
Go: Airaid Race CAI, BAMA Tune, J&M Lower Control Arms, JLT Oil Separator
Coming Soon: Motive 4.10 gears
markag is online now  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply   Post New Thread



Thread Tools



Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162