Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005+ Mustang > 2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech Forum

2011+ Talk | 2011+ GT | 2011+ V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 12-03-2012   #1 (permalink)
firstpony is offline Rookie

firstpony's Country Flag
Grand Rapids   Michigan
firstpony is on a distinguished road
Default jack stands placement

Up here in michigan I've pretty much parked my 08 for a few months. I want to put it up on jack stand and get some under side detailing done. Where is a good place to set the stand? In the rear, about the only thing I see is the LCA front mount point? Up front I looks like the front sub frame mount point to the body? Is there any better places to set the car on stands?? John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2012   #2 (permalink)
nicholasa631 is offline PONY Member

nicholasa631's Country Flag
Olney   Maryland
nicholasa631 is on a distinguished road

Those are the only ones I could suggest. Another option if your willing to spend some money is a set of ramps or a set of drive up ramps with a stand which will raise your full car but the ramps with stand is very costly
2007 Mustang GT Red / Manual / Airraid CAI / Tuner / Smoked third brake light / CCFL Smoked Halo Headlights / Smoked Fog Light Cover / HID headlights / Magnaflow american thunder axle back exhaust / JBA Long Tube Headers / Off Road H-pipe / Line lock / Roush Short Shifter
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 12-04-2012   #3 (permalink)
markag is online now GT Member

4.6L Member
S197 Member

markag's Country Flag  View markag's 14 photos
Metamora   Illinois
markag is on a distinguished road

I put jack stands under the axle tubes. Just make sure you put them as far out towards the wheels as you can. Getting them right next to the suspension mounts would be recommended.
Show: Katzkin Leather Interior, Matte Black 10" Stripes, NXT Step Performance Axlebacks, Pypes M80 Mufflers (mid mounted), CDC Sequential Tail Lights, 14" Shorty Antenna, Ford OEM Plenum Cover, Ford Semigloss Black Painted Valve Covers, Leather Wrapped OEM Steering Wheel
Go: Airaid Race CAI, BAMA Tune, J&M Lower Control Arms, JLT Oil Separator
Coming Soon: Motive 4.10 gears
Unread 12-06-2012   #4 (permalink)
Norm Peterson is offline PONY Member

4.6L Member
S197 Member

Norm Peterson's Country Flag  View Norm Peterson's 4 photos
Delaware Twp   New Jersey
Norm Peterson is on a distinguished road

USE THE NORMAL JACK POINTS ON THE PINCH WELDS.

Especially up front. Jacking under where the K-member attaches loads the tub/torque box/footwells in ways they were not designed to take loads that large. If you do, the early sign of having done it wrong is an "oilcanning" sound when you push down on the floor with your foot as you get out of the car - what has happened is that the OE floorpan shape has been compromised (this can be corrected to some extent with a heavy hammer and a block of wood from inside the car).

What you'll want is a block of wood with a groove cut in it that you'll fit the pinch weld into without quite bottomming out the pinch weld in the groove. One block for each corner. Cut the grooves across the grain, else the weight of the car will simply split the wood.

Out back, I like the axle tube locations better than the LCA bracket points, but it's a little tougher to do (and I'm recommending against jacking by the pumpkin).

Norm
Winter/Spare: '01 Maxima, 5-speed manual
Unread 12-06-2012   #5 (permalink)
SheizaSoSay

Welcome aboard Norm!

Unread 12-06-2012   #6 (permalink)

4.6L Member
S197 Member

Thanks, Steve.

Norm
Unread 12-06-2012   #7 (permalink)
bigstick is offline Apprentice

bigstick's Country Flag
North Central   Michigan
bigstick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheizaSoSay View Post
Welcome aboard Norm!
Same here, Norm. I've always enjoyed your posts.
Forged 302 3v by Blue Collar Performance; Saleen s/c with Series 6.5 lid and 2.8 pulley; FRPP twin 62mm t/b; mild Lunati blower cams; DSS driveshaft; 4.10's...and much more than I care to admit. 588rwhp/544rwtq - 11.12@127mph
Unread 12-06-2012   #8 (permalink)

4.6L Member
S197 Member

Metamora   Illinois

So, you shouldn't jack the car up by the center of the K member in front of the engine then? I've not heard anyone say not to do that before. I've heard that you shouldn't jack from the pumpkin out back because the axle tube / diff housing joint can be damaged over time.

I would be interested seeing an example of the pinch weld adapters you made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
USE THE NORMAL JACK POINTS ON THE PINCH WELDS.

Especially up front. Jacking under where the K-member attaches loads the tub/torque box/footwells in ways they were not designed to take loads that large. If you do, the early sign of having done it wrong is an "oilcanning" sound when you push down on the floor with your foot as you get out of the car - what has happened is that the OE floorpan shape has been compromised (this can be corrected to some extent with a heavy hammer and a block of wood from inside the car).

What you'll want is a block of wood with a groove cut in it that you'll fit the pinch weld into without quite bottomming out the pinch weld in the groove. One block for each corner. Cut the grooves across the grain, else the weight of the car will simply split the wood.

Out back, I like the axle tube locations better than the LCA bracket points, but it's a little tougher to do (and I'm recommending against jacking by the pumpkin).

Norm
Show: Katzkin Leather Interior, Matte Black 10" Stripes, NXT Step Performance Axlebacks, Pypes M80 Mufflers (mid mounted), CDC Sequential Tail Lights, 14" Shorty Antenna, Ford OEM Plenum Cover, Ford Semigloss Black Painted Valve Covers, Leather Wrapped OEM Steering Wheel
Unread 12-06-2012   #9 (permalink)
joe_momma is offline PONY Member

S197 Member

joe_momma's Country Flag
Rocky Top   Tennessee
joe_momma is on a distinguished road

I'd like to see some pics too.
Unread 12-07-2012   #10 (permalink)

4.6L Member
S197 Member

Ask and you shall receive.

This block was used with an aluminum floor jack for a couple of autocross seasons (swapping between competition and street tires on the 626).

You'd want to do something a little more secure about the base of this sort of block for use with the better jackstands (steel angle or channel clips), and you'd probably want to grind the tops of cast jackstand posts flat.

Norm
Attached Thumbnails
jack stands placement-pinchweld-block1.jpg  
Unread 12-07-2012   #11 (permalink)

4.6L Member
S197 Member

Metamora   Illinois

Quote:
Ask and you shall receive.

This block was used with an aluminum floor jack for a couple of autocross seasons (swapping between competition and street tires on the 626).

You'd want to do something a little more secure about the base of this sort of block for use with the better jackstands (steel angle or channel clips), and you'd probably want to grind the tops of cast jackstand posts flat.

Norm
So Just for clarification then. If you jack from the pinch weld, where do you put your jack stand on that side. Do you jack by the pinch weld with your adapter and then put jack stands under the frame rail? What I've typically done is just jack by the center of the K member from the front to get the hole front of the car off the ground, and then placed my jackstands under the K-member. If I'm not going to jack by the K-Member any more, then I need to figure out a method of jack placement and jack stand placement so I can go corner to corner.
Unread 12-07-2012   #12 (permalink)

4.6L Member
S197 Member

Jack and support at the pinchweld. Support where the circles in the thumbnail are (I think these locations are slightly notched), jack from as close as you can get.

I hope the picture (picked from the 2008 FSM) is readable. If not, try zooming in on the window it pops up in, or copy/paste it into some picture software and enlarging it there.

Norm
Attached Thumbnails
jack stands placement-s197jackpoints.jpg  
Unread 12-07-2012   #13 (permalink)

4.6L Member
S197 Member

Metamora   Illinois

Quote:
Jack and support at the pinchweld. Support where the circles in the thumbnail are (I think these locations are slightly notched), jack from as close as you can get.

I hope the picture (picked from the 2008 FSM) is readable. If not, try zooming in on the window it pops up in, or copy/paste it into some picture software and enlarging it there.

Norm
Thanks!

This might be the first time I've ever seen anyone put up a picture showing the S197. So many times people will show a jacking point image like this, but its on the SN95 platform.
Unread 12-07-2012   #14 (permalink)
Back@itagain

Second vote for the pinch welds. Prefer to let the rear axle drop so I have more free room to work on exhaust, fuel lines or whatever. I don't use adapters though. Second winter the car has spent sitting on jack stands and no problems.

Unread 12-08-2012   #15 (permalink)
sqidd is offline Shelby Gt 350 member

S197 Member

sqidd's Country Flag  View sqidd's 101 photos  View sqidd's HomePage
South Eastern   Michigan
sqidd is a name known to allsqidd is a name known to allsqidd is a name known to allsqidd is a name known to allsqidd is a name known to allsqidd is a name known to all

I’ve been putting a LOT of S197’s a LOT of times since 2006 using jackstands and lifts.

Yellow- DO NOT jack or put jackstands under this part of the K-member, you will crush the “torque boxes” and they are no fun to fix.

Red- I have been placing jackstands in these locations since day one, no problem.

Blue- These are what I use for jacking points. Center of K-member and rear end “pumpkin”. Again, never a problem. I have been jacking 8.8 rear ends up by the pumpkin since 1989 and never had one problem. I doubt you will too.

Green- Like Norm said these are fantastic jack stand points the only problem is an interface between your jackstands and the small “slot” that they need to go in. They need something custom to work right.
Attached Thumbnails
jack stands placement-s197jackpoints.jpg  

2012 GT Vert Brembo, mostly stock

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 374rwhp/518rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162