Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005-2014 Mustangs > 2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech Forum

2011-2014 Talk | 2011-2014 GT | 2011-2014 V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 01-11-2013   #1 (permalink)
romanosalim is offline Rookie

romanosalim's Country Flag
Las Vegas   Nevada
romanosalim is on a distinguished road
Default Is there a way to check if my car has upgraded gears?

Hi Guys,

I have a 2007 Mustang GT, It has BBK ceramic LT headers & C&L Street CAI. Ive ordered a bama tuner and was wondering if there is anyway to check if I have upgraded gears. I purchased the car from a dealer and they didn't even know it had headers. I did not recieve a tuner either so im a little stumped. Any ideas? Cruise speeds etc?

Thank You!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2013   #2 (permalink)
2Manystangs is offline Banned

4.6L Member

2Manystangs's Country Flag
Tampa   Florida
2Manystangs is on a distinguished road

does it rev really fast? The only real way to know is to jack up the car, turn the driveshaft and count the revolutions of the wheels
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 01-11-2013   #3 (permalink)
themangeraaad is offline PONY Member

themangeraaad's Country Flag
Acton   Massachusetts
themangeraaad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Manystangs View Post
does it rev really fast? The only real way to know is to jack up the car, turn the driveshaft and count the revolutions of the wheels
Agreed - but "does it rev really fast" is kinda subjective. Someone who hasn't driven a Mustang before would have no way to tell what a stock car should feel like compared to a car with gears.

Edit: Also - long tube headers require a tune so it has probably been tuned in the past... the problem is that I'm not sure if you can use a tuner on top of an already tuned car. You might have to pay Ford to flash a stock tune to your car and then get new tunes from BAMA based on the new factory tune... though someone else will have to confirm whether this is accurate...
Unread 01-11-2013   #4 (permalink)
SOMDStang is offline PONY Member

SOMDStang's Country Flag
DFW   Texas
SOMDStang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by themangeraaad View Post
Agreed - but "does it rev really fast" is kinda subjective. Someone who hasn't driven a Mustang before would have no way to tell what a stock car should feel like compared to a car with gears.

Edit: Also - long tube headers require a tune so it has probably been tuned in the past... the problem is that I'm not sure if you can use a tuner on top of an already tuned car. You might have to pay Ford to flash a stock tune to your car and then get new tunes from BAMA based on the new factory tune... though someone else will have to confirm whether this is accurate...
It should work...it would likely just download the current most likely custom tune as the "stock" tune during the tuning process. No need to get a factory tune from ford unless he plans on removing the long tubes and intake.
Unread 01-11-2013   #5 (permalink)
AMDanBailer is offline Site Sponsor

AMDanBailer's Country Flag  View AMDanBailer's HomePage
Malvern   Pennsylvania
AMDanBailer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanosalim View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a 2007 Mustang GT, It has BBK ceramic LT headers & C&L Street CAI. Ive ordered a bama tuner and was wondering if there is anyway to check if I have upgraded gears. I purchased the car from a dealer and they didn't even know it had headers. I did not recieve a tuner either so im a little stumped. Any ideas? Cruise speeds etc?

Thank You!
There's really only one way to check what gears you have, without opening the pumpkin obviously. There's calculations all over the internet on what RPM you should be at with what gear. You'll most likely be able to figure out what gears you're running by what RPM you're at when cruising at 60MPH.

I hope this helps! Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

-Dan
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Unread 01-11-2013   #6 (permalink)
chump is offline PONY Member

chump's Country Flag
Salt Lake City   Utah
chump is on a distinguished road

See if you can run a car fax on the vehicle, try to determine where the car was serviced or worked on and call them to see if you can find the original owner. Then ask the owner what gears and if he/she has the tuner along with other mods that have been done to the car. Whereever you bought the car from can usually run a car fax for you.
2007 Shelby GT black with silver stripes, 4.10 rear end, kooks LT headers and catted x-pipe,SSS terminator mufflers, LCA, adj UCA,adj panhard bar, 18" cobra r chrome rims, Baer Decelerotors front and rear with chrome braided brake lines.
Unread 01-11-2013   #7 (permalink)
JBert is offline BOSS Member

4.6L Member
S197 Member

JBert's Country Flag  View JBert's 5 photos
Douglas   Massachusetts
JBert is on a distinguished road

two ways you can check the gears:

the easy but potentially inaccurate way: find one of the RPM calculators on the internet, and calculate the speed you "should" be at in a particular gear / RPM / rear-end gear ; then drive down the street and see if it is close; if not close, do the math for a different rear end gearing and try again (this assumes the speedometer is correctly callibrated for the gears that are in the car)

the hard but accurate way: put the car up on jack stands, rotate the rear wheels, and count how many times the driveshaft turns for one rotation of the wheels (or vice versa)
| whiney FRPP 3.73 gears | Roush CAI | 35% tint | custom STB | FRPP KR's | Bama 93R for the summer | Steeda UDP's | Shaftmasters alum d/s | 19x9.5 GT500 wheels with Goodyear F1's | Steeda Sport springs on GT500 struts/shocks and Steeda HD mounts | Brembo brakes | GT500 sway bars | JLT oil sep | TVS2300 still on the wish list
Unread 01-11-2013   #8 (permalink)
Beast3.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
There's really only one way to check what gears you have, without opening the pumpkin obviously. There's calculations all over the internet on what RPM you should be at with what gear. You'll most likely be able to figure out what gears you're running by what RPM you're at when cruising at 60MPH.

I hope this helps! Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

-Dan
This. Just note rpm, gear and speed you are in. Make sure you write down your tire size and plug it in to a calculator. You should be able to find out rather easily.

Unread 01-12-2013   #9 (permalink)

Las Vegas   Nevada

Hi Guys! Thanks for all the replies. Now, the car may have had a tune but I know the sh*t dealership I went to put a stock tune back on the vehicle. So there will be no corrections made to the car tune wise. My Bama tuner should be here on wednesday, after i replace my o2 sensors, plugs, and fuel filter I will retune, pass my damn smog and then figure out this gear issue. I will use the calculators like some of you mentioned and hit you back with a response!!! Thanks!!!
Unread 01-13-2013   #10 (permalink)
chump is offline PONY Member

chump's Country Flag
Salt Lake City   Utah
chump is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanosalim View Post
Hi Guys! Thanks for all the replies. Now, the car may have had a tune but I know the sh*t dealership I went to put a stock tune back on the vehicle. So there will be no corrections made to the car tune wise. My Bama tuner should be here on wednesday, after i replace my o2 sensors, plugs, and fuel filter I will retune, pass my damn smog and then figure out this gear issue. I will use the calculators like some of you mentioned and hit you back with a response!!! Thanks!!!

I don't think they can sell you a car which does not pass emissions inspections because legally it can not be licensed.
2007 Shelby GT black with silver stripes, 4.10 rear end, kooks LT headers and catted x-pipe,SSS terminator mufflers, LCA, adj UCA,adj panhard bar, 18" cobra r chrome rims, Baer Decelerotors front and rear with chrome braided brake lines.
Unread 01-13-2013   #11 (permalink)

Las Vegas   Nevada

Quote:
Originally Posted by chump View Post
I don't think they can sell you a car which does not pass emissions inspections because legally it can not be licensed.
You are correct, I have made a deal with the dealer, hes knocking off $2500 from the final price or id take him to court, go to bbb and seriously F him up. He was extremely polite after a visit from myself and a few friends.
Unread 01-14-2013   #12 (permalink)
markag is online now GT Member

4.6L Member
S197 Member

markag's Country Flag  View markag's 14 photos
Metamora   Illinois
markag is on a distinguished road

You could use a GPS that displays MPH to get your actual speed. Use that speed and your RPM to determine what gears you have. I have 3.31 gears (stock) in my 2008 Mustang GT Manual trans, and I am turning 2000 rpm at 70 mph.
Show: Katzkin Leather Interior, Matte Black 10" Stripes, NXT Step Performance Axlebacks, Pypes M80 Mufflers (mid mounted), CDC Sequential Tail Lights, 14" Shorty Antenna, Ford OEM Plenum Cover, Ford Semigloss Black Painted Valve Covers, Leather Wrapped OEM Steering Wheel
Go: Airaid Race CAI, BAMA Tune, J&M Lower Control Arms, JLT Oil Separator
Coming Soon: Motive 4.10 gears
Unread 01-14-2013   #13 (permalink)

Las Vegas   Nevada
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by markag View Post
You could use a GPS that displays MPH to get your actual speed. Use that speed and your RPM to determine what gears you have. I have 3.31 gears (stock) in my 2008 Mustang GT Manual trans, and I am turning 2000 rpm at 70 mph.

Great idea, if i too hit 2000rpm @ 70 I guess im stock! Ill check after work. Thanks!
Unread 01-15-2013   #14 (permalink)

Las Vegas   Nevada

Thanks Markag,
2000rpm @ 70mph! Im on stock gears,
Thanks for all help, much appreciated!
Unread 01-15-2013   #15 (permalink)
markag is online now GT Member

4.6L Member
S197 Member

markag's Country Flag  View markag's 14 photos
Metamora   Illinois
markag is on a distinguished road

Glad I could help
Show: Katzkin Leather Interior, Matte Black 10" Stripes, NXT Step Performance Axlebacks, Pypes M80 Mufflers (mid mounted), CDC Sequential Tail Lights, 14" Shorty Antenna, Ford OEM Plenum Cover, Ford Semigloss Black Painted Valve Covers, Leather Wrapped OEM Steering Wheel
Go: Airaid Race CAI, BAMA Tune, J&M Lower Control Arms, JLT Oil Separator
Coming Soon: Motive 4.10 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164