Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005-2014 Mustangs > 2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech Forum

2011-2014 Talk | 2011-2014 GT | 2011-2014 V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 03-14-2006   #16 (permalink)
Charles M. is offline Apprentice

5.0L Member
S197 Member

Charles M.'s Country Flag
Seattle   Washington
Charles M. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblack67
My company remanufactures the 5R55S transmission. There is no need to check the fluid unless you have a leak. This transmission is different in many ways from past designs. Our techs use a special machine to fill the transmissions prior to shipment. They are installed at factory and at dealerships already filled and ready to go. This is new for Ford but not new to the industry. VW has been doing it for years.
Can you tell us about how the 5R55S is different? I'd sure like to know. And are the seals really that much better than before or is the intention to replace as soon as a leak begins? Thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2006   #17 (permalink)
Johnstone610 is offline Apprentice

S197 Member

Johnstone610's Country Flag
Chicago   Illinois
Johnstone610 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Johnstone610

Raven i work for my grandfathers company and we rebuild alot of the gm and volvo units. I have heard that the auto unit will nto be able to withstand much power is this true? if so what can us auto owners do to beef it up?

Mods: Kenne Bell intercooled, Borla cat back, Xcal 2, Lower Control Arms, Mickey Thompson ET streets,

futer mods: x-pipe, high flow cats, headers, and the list goes on...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 04-03-2009   #18 (permalink)
crc0069 is offline Rookie

crc0069's Country Flag
Washington   Pennsylvania
crc0069 is on a distinguished road
Default slipping at 51000

So I guess since my 05 mustang 4.0, 51,000 miles, auto trans is slipping, I'm screwed. Every GM that I had just needed fluid checked and never did anything else with them. 1) Chevy 179000 miles. 2)Chevy 119000 miles. 3) Chevy 109000 miles. All were traded in and in good running condition. Good job FORD Guess that I'll wait until the end of the month and see what my GM dealer is up to. Needs tires and transmission fluid, time to trade it in! :hihi: Just a side note, my current GM has 51,500 and has no problems.
Unread 04-04-2009   #19 (permalink)
frdfrst is offline Rookie

S197 Member

frdfrst's Country Flag  View frdfrst's 5 photos
Phoenix   Arizona
frdfrst is on a distinguished road

it does't have it in the manual because there is none.its sealed.
Unread 04-04-2009   #20 (permalink)
bigbensbadstang is offline Made Member

S197 Member

bigbensbadstang's Country Flag
Anniston   Alabama
bigbensbadstang is on a distinguished road

so nobody answered the guy that said the autos cant handle much power.as a owner of a 06 gt i would like to hear more about this and also nobody answered the question does these trannys have a filter in them.i was wanting to change my tranny and all my fluids to amsoil synthic would this be a good idea.will it still be the same as that i will not need to check the fluid or do nothing to it for a nother 30k or is the fluid in it the only fluid that works that way with this tranny i am woried and wanting to do all i can to protect this car that i run hard and have never had much luck with ford trannys motors yes ford tranny no not in fords.transmission places love ford.so my question is will changing to better fluids amsoil the best there is help my car parts last longer since it is ran hard.
Unread 05-19-2009   #21 (permalink)
2K05GT is offline Apprentice

2K05GT's Country Flag  View 2K05GT's 31 photos
Manassas   Virginia
2K05GT is on a distinguished road

The 5R55S can handle about 550bhp (475 RWHP) There are several Super charger guys running at the track each week for years with no issues, Do a search for a guy called "Rygen" Turbo V6 rinning high 10's in the 1/4 on a stock 5R55S for two years.
Pioneer AVIC-D1, FFRP 4.10 Gears, JLT II CAI, Steeda UDP and CMDP, CHE LCA, Spyder Alum DS, JBA LT, JBA Catted H, TCI 3500 Stall, SCT XCAL II Tune by BAMAChips, CDC Hood Struts, Razzi Side Window Scoops, Roush Hood Scoop, Sequential Taillights. 275/50 17 M&H Drag Radials
1/4 Mile - 12.299 @ 110.06 (1.698 60')
Unread 05-19-2009   #22 (permalink)
kilog55 is offline Senior Member

5.0L Member

kilog55's Country Flag  View kilog55's 3 photos
Lenoxville   Pennsylvania
kilog55 is on a distinguished road

ford has been using the sealed trannies for a few years now teh rents 03 exploder has a sealed trans and you cannot check the level yourself or flush and fill just another reason to buy an older stang lol
Unread 05-19-2009   #23 (permalink)
amustangrocks is offline SHELBY GT 500 Member

amustangrocks's Country Flag  View amustangrocks's 81 photos  View amustangrocks's HomePage
Traverse City   Michigan
amustangrocks is just really niceamustangrocks is just really niceamustangrocks is just really niceamustangrocks is just really niceamustangrocks is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by crc0069 View Post
So I guess since my 05 mustang 4.0, 51,000 miles, auto trans is slipping, I'm screwed. Every GM that I had just needed fluid checked and never did anything else with them. 1) Chevy 179000 miles. 2)Chevy 119000 miles. 3) Chevy 109000 miles. All were traded in and in good running condition. Good job FORD Guess that I'll wait until the end of the month and see what my GM dealer is up to. Needs tires and transmission fluid, time to trade it in! :hihi: Just a side note, my current GM has 51,500 and has no problems.
its probably just low on fluid. you should take it in and get it flushed. that way they can replace 12 qts of fluid, vs, 5 qts if you drop the pan. they do have a filter, but its not really filter media, just a screen. you wont need to replace the filter. they recomend the filter at 100,00+. checking the fluid was described earlier in the post and yes, it is messy to check. with the motor runing at operating temp, you pull that bottom plug, if it doesnt spew out, its low on fluid. you can pump fluid up into it till it does spew, then its full.
Unread 11-03-2010   #24 (permalink)
ProStreet1 is offline Rookie

ProStreet1's Country Flag  View ProStreet1's 20 photos
Gahanna   Ohio
ProStreet1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by amustangrocks View Post
its probably just low on fluid. you should take it in and get it flushed. that way they can replace 12 qts of fluid, vs, 5 qts if you drop the pan. they do have a filter, but its not really filter media, just a screen. you wont need to replace the filter. they recomend the filter at 100,00+. checking the fluid was described earlier in the post and yes, it is messy to check. with the motor runing at operating temp, you pull that bottom plug, if it doesnt spew out, its low on fluid. you can pump fluid up into it till it does spew, then its full.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.... Spoke w/a dealer mechanic yesterday and they explained the removal of the center plug, squirting fluid in until it returns out for proper level, HOWEVER he never mentioned the car should be running...?? This should be checked with the car at operating temps and RUNNING?
Unread 11-03-2010   #25 (permalink)
Stangstta is offline Made Member

Stangstta's Country Flag
Boston MetroWest   Massachusetts
Stangstta is on a distinguished road

With the engine running.

From the Ford Factory Service Manual:

1. Using the diagnostic tool, monitor the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) using PID: TFT.

2. Start the vehicle.

3. NOTE: Engine idle speed is approximately 650 rpm.
While proceeding with this procedure, run the engine until the transmission fluid temperature is between 27-49C (80-120F).

4. Move the range selector lever slowly through each gear, stopping in each position and allowing the transmission to engage.

5. Place the range selector lever in the PARK position.

6. With the engine running, position the vehicle on a hoist and set it as close to level as possible. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02 .

7. Hold the larger drain plug with a wrench and remove the small (center) fluid level indicating plug.

8. Install the special tool into the pan.

9. NOTE: Prior to filling the special tool with clean transmission fluid, make sure that the canister is clean.

Fill the special tool with clean automatic transmission fluid.

10. Hang the special tool under the vehicle. Position it upright and close to the transmission.

11. Connect the special tools.
  • Connect the open end of the fluid hose from the Fluid Transporter/Evacuator/Injector to the Fluid Level and Fill Plug Adapter at the bottom of the transmission fluid pan.
12. Apply a maximum of 206.85 kPa (30 psi) to the open end of the vacuum/pressure hose from the special tool. Fluid will immediately start flowing out of the special tool into the transmission fluid pan.

13. Add one pint of transmission fluid into the fluid pan. Stop the process by releasing the air pressure and removing the air nozzle from the end of the hose.

14. Inspect the fluid level in the special tool. If the fluid drains back into the canister, the transmission is full. If no fluid drains back, more fluid will need to be added. Repeat Steps 12 and 13.

15. Once the transmission is full, place a hand vacuum pump on the open end of the vacuum/pressure hose of the special tool and apply vacuum to the system. This will pull out any extra fluid trapped in the system and direct it into the container.

16. Allow the fluid to drain. Make sure that the fluid temperature is between 27-49C (80-120F). When the fluid comes out as a thin stream or drip, the fluid is at the correct level.

17. Reinstall the small (center) fluid level indicating plug and tighten to 10 Nm (89 lb-in).

18. Check the operation of the transmission by moving the range selector lever slowly through each gear, stopping in each position and allowing the transmission to engage.

-Stangstta
Unread 11-03-2010   #26 (permalink)

Gahanna   Ohio

Awesome...Appreciate the info -THX
Unread 11-04-2010   #27 (permalink)

Gahanna   Ohio

Not ready to lay down with this one yet... Have an idea. Does anyone have or maybe a link to a picture of this "tube" inside our pan? When we remove the larger-drain plug, is the tube attached to the otherside?
Unread 11-04-2010   #28 (permalink)
Stangstta is offline Made Member

Stangstta's Country Flag
Boston MetroWest   Massachusetts
Stangstta is on a distinguished road

You're quite welcome.

Three images are attached below. The first is a diagram from the Ford Factory Service Manual. The second is the plug on the outside of the pan, and the third is an actual picture of the plug inside the pan.

What is your concern? Do you just want to check the level? The drain plug assembly is a concentric plug inside a plug (see second picture). The internal plug is basically a Torx set screw. That is the one you want to remove while holding the outer plug with a wrench. If you remove that internal plug and fluid streams out under the above conditions I posted, you are all set, and just re-install the plug.

If no fluid comes out, then you can purchase a hand pump that threads onto a quart bottle of transmission fluid at most autoparts stores or even Walmart. Lubrimatic / Plews makes one. Here is an example:

"Lubrimatic" Fluid Quart Pump

I beleive the internal plug hole (Torx screw) is threaded with a female 1/8" NPT fitting, but you should confirm that. You will need to purchase an 1/8" NPT brass nipple at a local hardware store, Home Depot, or Lowes in the plumbing section. Connect this nipple to the end of the hose that comes with the hand pump and thread the other end into the hole where you removed the Torx plug. You will be good to go. Pump in a little fluid, stop, remove the hose and see if any fluid streams out. Continue until it starts to stream out. Re-install the Torx plug and you are done.

-Stangstta
Attached Thumbnails
How to check auto transmission fluid level?-tranny_fluid_level.gif  How to check auto transmission fluid level?-5r55_pan_plug.jpg  How to check auto transmission fluid level?-5r55_pan_internal.jpg  
Unread 11-04-2010   #29 (permalink)

Gahanna   Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangstta View Post
You're quite welcome.

Three images are attached below. The first is a diagram from the Ford Factory Service Manual. The second is the plug on the outside of the pan, and the third is an actual picture of the plug inside the pan.

What is your concern? Do you just want to check the level? The drain plug assembly is a concentric plug inside a plug (see second picture). The internal plug is basically a Torx set screw. That is the one you want to remove while holding the outer plug with a wrench. If you remove that internal plug and fluid streams out under the above conditions I posted, you are all set, and just re-install the plug.

If no fluid comes out, then you can purchase a hand pump that threads onto a quart bottle of transmission fluid at most autoparts stores or even Walmart. Lubrimatic / Plews makes one. Here is an example:

"Lubrimatic" Fluid Quart Pump

I beleive the internal plug hole (Torx screw) is threaded with a female 1/8" NPT fitting, but you should confirm that. You will need to purchase an 1/8" NPT brass nipple at a local hardware store, Home Depot, or Lowes in the plumbing section. Connect this nipple to the end of the hose that comes with the hand pump and thread the other end into the hole where you removed the Torx plug. You will be good to go. Pump in a little fluid, stop, remove the hose and see if any fluid streams out. Continue until it starts to stream out. Re-install the Torx plug and you are done.

-Stangstta
Awesome...Perfect info. To answer your question was to fill and keep an eye on the level.
Thanks again...
Unread 11-04-2010   #30 (permalink)
george06 is offline Apprentice

george06's Country Flag
Miami   Florida
george06 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8850 View Post
I ran a search but couldn't find where anybody has posted how to check our automatic transmission fluid level. I've look under the car all around the tranny and don't see an over flow plug. Only a drain plug.

Go here:www.s197forum.com,5R55Sdipstick for stock pan,or here www.ratstangrestoration.com.That is what i have in my car,check the trans fluid once a month.Hve in the car since i bought it Easy install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164