Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005+ Mustang > 2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech Forum

2011+ Talk | 2011+ GT | 2011+ V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 07-28-2006   #1 (permalink)
vantage is offline Made Member

S197 Member

vantage's Country Flag  View vantage's 16 photos
Toronto   Ontario
vantage is on a distinguished road
Default Creating a shorty antenna...

Sorry for making this thread I know it's been created before but I couldn't find it. Can someone outline the directions to make a shorty antenna out of the stock antenna? I had the Euro Antenna-X but the morons at the bodyshop broke it (don't ask me how) and ordering another will take 3 wks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2006   #2 (permalink)
mrvandermey is offline SHELBY GT 500 Member

mrvandermey's Country Flag  View mrvandermey's 2 photos
West Coast   California
mrvandermey is on a distinguished road

How short do you want to go? I have a 9" shorty installed, but I also have a 6" shorty available. Interested?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 07-28-2006   #3 (permalink)

S197 Member

Toronto   Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvandermey
How short do you want to go? I have a 9" shorty installed, but I also have a 6" shorty available. Interested?
Were they made from stock antennas?
Unread 07-28-2006   #4 (permalink)
mrvandermey is offline SHELBY GT 500 Member

mrvandermey's Country Flag  View mrvandermey's 2 photos
West Coast   California
mrvandermey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantage
Were they made from stock antennas?
No, these are actual shorty antennas. I orginally purhcased the 6" antenna, and had it installed for awhile. Then my teengage daughter bought me the 9" (not knowing I already had the 6") as a gift. I endedup liking the 9" better and plus I get to please my teenage daughter in the process, so I uninstalled the 6" and replaced it with the 9".

If you are interested in it let me know. I will let you have it for $10 including shipping (yes, I know that price is cheap, but I much rather it go to help a fellow Stanger, especially one who owns/drives a black one, then go to waste). Just note, I do not think I have the base part that screws the antenna into the antenna mount, I think I may have installed that piece on my daughter's new Ford Ranger when I installed a flexible 15" antenna on her truck.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 07-28-2006   #5 (permalink)

S197 Member

Toronto   Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvandermey
No, these are actual shorty antennas. I orginally purhcased the 6" antenna, and had it installed for awhile. Then my teengage daughter bought me the 9" (not knowing I already had the 6") as a gift. I endedup liking the 9" better and plus I get to please my teenage daughter in the process, so I uninstalled the 6" and replaced it with the 9".

If you are interested in it let me know. I will let you have it for $10 including shipping (yes, I know that price is cheap, but I much rather it go to help a fellow Stanger, especially one who owns/drives a black one, then go to waste). Just note, I do not think I have the base part that screws the antenna into the antenna mount, I think I may have installed that piece on my daughter's new Ford Ranger when I installed a flexible 15" antenna on her truck.
Sounds good, but for now I'd rather just mod the stock one, if I'm going to order one I'll probably just reorder the Antenna-X as I was pretty happy with that one for the short time that I had it... Thanks for the offer though.
Unread 07-28-2006   #6 (permalink)
AmericanMustang is offline Apprentice

S197 Member

AmericanMustang's Country Flag  View AmericanMustang's 24 photos
Huntsville   Alabama
AmericanMustang is on a distinguished road
Default Short Antenna

Can someone outline the directions to make a shorty antenna out of the stock antenna? I had the Euro Antenna-X but the morons at the body shop broke it (don't ask me how) and ordering another will take 3 wks.[/quote]

All Mustangs are shipped from the factory with a small aluminum"stub". As I call it. I don't listen to the radio much and did not like the stock antenna or it's placement, so I replaced it with a "stub". Shinny aluminum from the factory. I can still pick up radio, but I guess that depends on the strength of the station. Go by your local dealer and visit their P.D.I. dept.
Unread 07-28-2006   #7 (permalink)
Snackmaster

I replaced my stocker with a shorty from Autozone that was like $6. It's black rubber and looks great. It's flexible and won't snap anytime soon. If that's not the route you want to go... then modifying is simple.

I imagine the principles are the same and I did this for my 96 GT. Just carefully unscrew the antenna from the fender so as not to scratch anything. I believe it's a metric size. It helps if you have a bench vise in your garage but it's not necessary. If you have one, wrap the antenna in a soft cloth and clamp tightly in the vice. Using a claw hammer, run the hammer over the antenna to the ball end and carefully remove the ball end. Be careful not to lose it once it is off. If you use repeated sliding motions with the claw on the hammer you can get the ball off pretty easily. Use a dremmel or cut-off tool and cut the antenna to the desired length. Smooth the tip with a file and you might also need to taper it as the antenna will be thicker at the cut than it was at the top. Once you've checked everything for a good fit, put a dab of super glue in the hole of the ball and glue it back on to the antenna. At this point you can spray again with black paint and then let everything dry. Pretty easy fix. I still say just go to your local auto parts store and grab one but if you want a little project this works well. I did mine on my 96GT about 6 years ago and haven't had any problems.

Hope this helps!

Snack

Unread 07-28-2006   #8 (permalink)
ParrotheadGT is offline Rookie

ParrotheadGT's Country Flag
Winston-Salem, NC   North Carolina
ParrotheadGT is on a distinguished road

Here's another tip to go along with the above post....I wrapped a piece of masking tape around the little ball so I wouldn't lose it once it went flying off, and believe me, one it breaks loose, it does go flying! It took me forever to find that little sucker the first time....(I had to modify a second antenna after my car cover bent my first one in a storm)....
Unread 07-28-2006   #9 (permalink)

S197 Member

Toronto   Ontario

Hmm.. well I got the ball off so what should I use to cut the antenna, I don't have power tools or anything.
Unread 07-28-2006   #10 (permalink)
GTRaptor is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

4.6L Member

GTRaptor's Country Flag  View GTRaptor's 614 photos  View GTRaptor's HomePage
Mexico City
GTRaptor is on a distinguished road

Borrow or rent one, takes under a minute
Can be done with a drill and cutting wheel or dremel.
Unread 07-28-2006   #11 (permalink)

S197 Member

Toronto   Ontario

Just talked to a buddy of mine, gonna go over there and use his tools when he gets home
Unread 07-28-2006   #12 (permalink)
Snackmaster

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be happy with the results.

Let us know how it turns out.

Snack

Unread 07-28-2006   #13 (permalink)
grasshopper is offline Rookie

grasshopper's Country Flag  View grasshopper's 4 photos  View grasshopper's HomePage
Peoria, AZ   Arizona
grasshopper is on a distinguished road

I did mine just using pliers to hold it while knocking the ball off and on and cut it with a Dremel, but a hacksaw wouldn't be too difficult. I always assumed the spiral was a wire but it's just a ridge to stiffen the mast, so you have to file the ridge well to get the ball back on.

I also recommend Flexible Bumper and Trim paint from Plastikote. It is flexible and doesn't require prep, and matches the finish on the rest of the antenna.
Unread 07-28-2006   #14 (permalink)

S197 Member

Toronto   Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper
I did mine just using pliers to hold it while knocking the ball off and on and cut it with a Dremel, but a hacksaw wouldn't be too difficult. I always assumed the spiral was a wire but it's just a ridge to stiffen the mast, so you have to file the ridge well to get the ball back on.

I also recommend Flexible Bumper and Trim paint from Plastikote. It is flexible and doesn't require prep, and matches the finish on the rest of the antenna.
errr.. buddy still aint home, yea the ball got a little scratched up when I was removing it, hung a hammer from it from the claw part and bashed the hammer with a pipe loll had to improvise but hey.. it worked. I just used a Sharpie to fill in the scratches and it looks fine, I'm not gonna be too meticulous about an antenna that I'm chopping up anyway.
Unread 07-29-2006   #15 (permalink)

S197 Member

Toronto   Ontario

All finished and installed , works great and I think it looks even better than the Antenna-X, its 12" in length from the base, any shorter and I think it would look weird and too small..

So if anyone wants concise instructions on how to make it they are as follows...
1) Use the claw end of a hammer to remove the ball by either continuously pulling the hammer towards the ball until it comes off or hanging the hammer from the ball and banging on the hammer with another instrument (another hammer will do) until the ball comes off, be sure to do this over something soft as the hammer will also fall
2) Use a hacksaw or cut-off tool to cut the antenna to your desired length (at 12" I still get all radio stations with great reception, not sure if it'll be the same at any less than that)
3) As the antenna will be thicker where you cut it than at the top where the ball was you will need to file the top of the cut piece until the ball fits
4) Once filed apply a small amount of glue inside the ball and stick it on the antenna and congrats, you just made your own shorty antenna!
5) (optional) As there will most likely be scratches from trying to get the ball off you may spray it as I did but it's not completely necessary.

I'll attach some pics for those that are interested, looks great .
Attached Thumbnails
Creating a shorty antenna...-img_1314-medium-.jpg  Creating a shorty antenna...-img_1315-medium-.jpg  Creating a shorty antenna...-img_1316-medium-.jpg  Creating a shorty antenna...-img_1317-medium-.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162