All finished and installed
, works great and I think it looks even better than the Antenna-X, its 12" in length from the base, any shorter and I think it would look weird and too small..
So if anyone wants concise instructions on how to make it they are as follows...
1) Use the claw end of a hammer to remove the ball by either continuously pulling the hammer towards the ball until it comes off or hanging the hammer from the ball and banging on the hammer with another instrument (another hammer will do) until the ball comes off, be sure to do this over something soft as the hammer will also fall
2) Use a hacksaw or cut-off tool to cut the antenna to your desired length (at 12" I still get all radio stations with great reception, not sure if it'll be the same at any less than that)
3) As the antenna will be thicker where you cut it than at the top where the ball was you will need to file the top of the cut piece until the ball fits
4) Once filed apply a small amount of glue inside the ball and stick it on the antenna and congrats, you just made your own shorty antenna!
5) (optional) As there will most likely be scratches from trying to get the ball off you may spray it as I did but it's not completely necessary.
I'll attach some pics for those that are interested, looks great
2006 GT Coupe, black w/ red leather, IUP, 5spd manual, 18" Bullitts, Stage 3 Motorsports louvers, Custom 12" shorty antenna