Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005+ Mustang > 2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech Forum

2011+ Talk | 2011+ GT | 2011+ V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 12-24-2006   #1 (permalink)
zregime is offline Made Member

V6 Member
S197 Member

zregime's Country Flag  View zregime's 59 photos  View zregime's HomePage
GBurg   Maryland
zregime is on a distinguished road
Default Car won't start! (PCM code changed by Ford dealership)

It has taken a while to get this resolved, so wanted to post for any other AFMers (especially noobs or novices like me) who run into this situation...here is the summary, as I described it over on the SCT forum:

1) Bought the '06 GT, and it came with a specific Strategy code
2) Bought the XCal2 and CAI from Brenspeed and gave him the PCM processor code (that's the four alphanumeric character sticker that you can see on the unit when you open the hood -- the "hard drive" of the car)
3) Brenspeed was able to figure out the Strategy code of the code from the PCM processor code -- the two are "linked" (although I'm not exactly sure how)
4) Brenspeed used the PCM processor code to create the custom tunes, which were based on the car's original Strategy
5) I had a performance problem with the car and took it into a Ford Service center -- and I flashed the car back to stock and removed the CAI before taking it in
6) They fixed the problem (in my case, replaced all of the spark plugs) but also, as part of their tuning process, loaded a new Strategy code into the PCM -- although they didn't put a new PCM in, and it still has the same processor code as it had before
7) When I got the car back, I reinstalled the CAI and plugged in the XCal to reload the 93 custom tune, which was based on the original Strategy code
8) The XCal did not read/detect the new Strategy code in the stock tune and loaded the "old" custom tune
9) I fired up the car, and it would not start
10) In troubleshooting this situation, I put the stock air box back in and reflashed the car back to stock
11) Unfortunately, the stock tune loaded in the XCal still had the original Strategy code and not the new one from the Ford Service center, so it actually CHANGED the Strategy back to the original one
12) When I fired up the car again, it still would not start

So the upshot is: Brent is asking me for the new Strategy on the car, I'm using the XCal to read it...but what I'm reading off it and giving to him is not the Strategy that the Service center put in, it's the original Strategy.

...the story has a happy ending. Brent has been GREAT in following up, calling me at work several times, and yesterday we got the vehicle to work. Not to leave you hanging, but I'm not sure I should reveal the details of how the problem was resolved...let's just say that if you go with Brenspeed, you will get taken care of if anything goes wrong with your Stang from a tune perspective. (Item/hint: The stock strategy is NOT unique from vehicle to vehicle.)

So, let me know, on this thread or through a PM, if you experience a similar situation...

After the Loose was back on her feet, I got the Pypes Violators installed...oh man does she sound sweeter now! Will share another post about that install experience, though...

THAT was my big Christmas present!

Dixi Candace: Windveil Blue Stick V6 '05, Steeda CAI w/BBK 70mmTB/hi-flo inlet, XCal2, ASP UP, JBA SS Shorties/Evol, FRPP T-Lok diff, 34/28 mm F/R sway bars, MMR rear LCAs, Monte C. strut bar, Precision 3.73s, Snow H2OCH4O, "Q" grille and tons of Dixi Bling chrome

Luci Elinor: Legend Lime Auto GT '06 Premium, JLT2 CAI, XCal2 Brenspeed 93, BBK 62mmx2 TB, Steeda UPs, Pypes Violators polished, SMR strut tower, A.H. & Stage3 louvers
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-24-2006   #2 (permalink)
Kappi187 is offline Apprentice

S197 Member

Kappi187's Country Flag  View Kappi187's 6 photos  View Kappi187's HomePage
San Antonio   Texas
Kappi187 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Kappi187

I am having the same problem right now. Ridiculous on how they flash the computer every single you bring it into the dealer, understandably trying to "tone" down tuners like us.
Bassani LTs/X-Pipe & SLP LoudMouths.
They call me KrAzY Kirk for a reason.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 12-24-2006   #3 (permalink)
Gig4Fun is offline Made Member

S197 Member

Gig4Fun's Country Flag
Midwest   Iowa
Gig4Fun is on a distinguished road

wow..so sorry to hear about the mess. Here a good posting for all to read:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...r-re-tune.html

Russ

'06 GT Prem,Redfire,IUP,Stick,Anti-Theft,Side AirBags,C&L CAI,Seq. turns, Rear seat delete,Heated seats,Steeda:UDP's,adj.UCA,& LCA's, BMR:K-Member, adj. PH rod & Brace,Meziere Elec. H2O pump,AEM Wideband. Roush Full Body Kit w/exhaust, RaptorSHFTlight,Pro 5.0 shifter,Jet Hot coated Kooks Headers w/catted X,XCAL2 w/ProRacerPackage,PH Alum. Driveshaft,CHE Safety Loop,CHE Torque Braces.
Unread 12-24-2006   #4 (permalink)
MickMach is offline Top Dog

Classic Member
S197 Member

MickMach's Country Flag  View MickMach's 14 photos
Front Royal   Virginia
MickMach is on a distinguished road

so...now that Saleen has flashed my PCM..just say what if I wanted to load up Evo's tune...would the SCT hold Saleen tune so I would be able to return the PCM back to Saleen's tune???? Id like to try Evo's just to see what the car would do as far as shifting is concerned. I know its not the right tune for the S/C but....just courious if the SCT would hold the Saleen tune so i could put it back?

Hot Rod cams, GT500 pumps, CHE goodies on the rear, 4.10's, KOOKS/ O/R X pipe with PYPES Violators, Spydershaft, TCI 3500 stall, PA deep tranny pan. Meziere w/p,M&H 325/45/17 DRs.
S/C---7.201@97.75/11.61@118.62
Unread 12-24-2006   #5 (permalink)
stlwagon is offline MODERATOR

Classic Member
S197 Member

stlwagon's Country Flag  View stlwagon's 60 photos  View stlwagon's 2 classified ads
Southern   Maryland
stlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon

Someone needs to develop an OBDII port locking device.

Kelly-glad you got that all squared away.
Unread 12-24-2006   #6 (permalink)

Classic Member
S197 Member

stlwagon's Country Flag  View stlwagon's 60 photos  View stlwagon's 2 classified ads
Southern   Maryland
stlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMach View Post
so...now that Saleen has flashed my PCM..just say what if I wanted to load up Evo's tune...would the SCT hold Saleen tune so I would be able to return the PCM back to Saleen's tune???? Id like to try Evo's just to see what the car would do as far as shifting is concerned. I know its not the right tune for the S/C but....just courious if the SCT would hold the Saleen tune so i could put it back?
Unless the Saleen tune is saved on the Xcal it won't. It's not like when downloading the stock tune. You could ask Saleen to sent you the .ll3 or .xtr file so you would have as a backup.
Unread 12-24-2006   #7 (permalink)
hawgman is offline Made Member

S197 Member

hawgman's Country Flag  View hawgman's HomePage
North Central   Texas
hawgman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to hawgman Send a message via Yahoo to hawgman

Quote:
In theory, the XCal you are purchasing should look at the Saleen tune as the "stock" tune and allow you to back it up prior to loading another tune.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

This IntelliTXT stuff sucks.
Unread 12-24-2006   #8 (permalink)

Classic Member
S197 Member

Southern   Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgman View Post
In theory, the XCal you are purchasing should look at the Saleen tune as the "stock" tune and allow you to back it up prior to loading another tune.
Maybe if it's a new Xcal but I think Mick is just using his old one which is already locked to his stock Ford tune. He could maybe zeroize the device and maybe then it would pull the Saleen tune.
Unread 12-24-2006   #9 (permalink)
zregime is offline Made Member

V6 Member
S197 Member

zregime's Country Flag  View zregime's 59 photos  View zregime's HomePage
GBurg   Maryland
zregime is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig4Fun View Post
wow..so sorry to hear about the mess. Here a good posting for all to read:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...r-re-tune.html

Russ
Thanks Russ...shoot...you had my problem nailed down, two months ago...shoulda read that one "for comprehension"...I remember it, but when the technical details started I just kind of blew past them. Lesson learned...

Dixi Candace: Windveil Blue Stick V6 '05, Steeda CAI w/BBK 70mmTB/hi-flo inlet, XCal2, ASP UP, JBA SS Shorties/Evol, FRPP T-Lok diff, 34/28 mm F/R sway bars, MMR rear LCAs, Monte C. strut bar, Precision 3.73s, Snow H2OCH4O, "Q" grille and tons of Dixi Bling chrome

Luci Elinor: Legend Lime Auto GT '06 Premium, JLT2 CAI, XCal2 Brenspeed 93, BBK 62mmx2 TB, Steeda UPs, Pypes Violators polished, SMR strut tower, A.H. & Stage3 louvers
Unread 12-24-2006   #10 (permalink)

Classic Member
S197 Member

Front Royal   Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
Maybe if it's a new Xcal but I think Mick is just using his old one which is already locked to his stock Ford tune. He could maybe zeroize the device and maybe then it would pull the Saleen tune.
yes hawgman My SCT has the stock Ford tune in it.
I dont know if the SCT will consider my Saleen tune as Stock?
Mark..I have no idea on how to 0 out the SCT? not that big'a deal. Excessive will have to do all that.

Hot Rod cams, GT500 pumps, CHE goodies on the rear, 4.10's, KOOKS/ O/R X pipe with PYPES Violators, Spydershaft, TCI 3500 stall, PA deep tranny pan. Meziere w/p,M&H 325/45/17 DRs.
Unread 12-24-2006   #11 (permalink)

Classic Member
S197 Member

Southern   Maryland

Quote:
yes hawgman My SCT has the stock Ford tune in it.
I dont know if the SCT will consider my Saleen tune as Stock?
Mark..I have no idea on how to 0 out the SCT? not that big'a deal. Excessive will have to do all that.
If you needed to clear out all the tunes on the device and reset it, you would do that with Liveload3.
Unread 12-24-2006   #12 (permalink)
zmanm3 is offline Senior Member

Classic Member
S197 Member

zmanm3's Country Flag  View zmanm3's 4 photos
St. Robert   Missouri
zmanm3 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to zmanm3
Default Great Info

I didn't know that the dealers did that. I am glad I know now. My car is so not stock that if they messed with the tune it wouldn't run close to right. Not to mention how much money I spent getting it custom tuned.
Unread 12-24-2006   #13 (permalink)

Classic Member
S197 Member

Front Royal   Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
If you needed to clear out all the tunes on the device and reset it, you would do that with Liveload3.
ahh ha.... I can do that

Unread 12-25-2006   #14 (permalink)
Gig4Fun is offline Made Member

S197 Member

Gig4Fun's Country Flag
Midwest   Iowa
Gig4Fun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zregime View Post
Thanks Russ...shoot...you had my problem nailed down, two months ago...shoulda read that one "for comprehension"...I remember it, but when the technical details started I just kind of blew past them. Lesson learned...
yep, I just wish I could have been there for you when you needed it!

I am sure glad you are up and running.

I really need to invent a lock for the port. After all I have two S197's so I run a double risk...

'06 GT Prem,Redfire,IUP,Stick,Anti-Theft,Side AirBags,C&L CAI,Seq. turns, Rear seat delete,Heated seats,Steeda:UDP's,adj.UCA,& LCA's, BMR:K-Member, adj. PH rod & Brace,Meziere Elec. H2O pump,AEM Wideband. Roush Full Body Kit w/exhaust, RaptorSHFTlight,Pro 5.0 shifter,Jet Hot coated Kooks Headers w/catted X,XCAL2 w/ProRacerPackage,PH Alum. Driveshaft,CHE Safety Loop,CHE Torque Braces.
Unread 12-25-2006   #15 (permalink)
94tbirdsc is offline Apprentice

94tbirdsc's Country Flag
Nanuet   New York
94tbirdsc is on a distinguished road

i guess im lucky. my dealer wanted to charge me to update my tune haha. i said no way i got a supercharger in there dont touch it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164