It has taken a while to get this resolved, so wanted to post for any other AFMers (especially noobs or novices like me) who run into this situation...here is the summary, as I described it over on the SCT forum:
1) Bought the '06 GT, and it came with a specific Strategy code
2) Bought the XCal2 and CAI from Brenspeed and gave him the PCM processor code (that's the four alphanumeric character sticker that you can see on the unit when you open the hood -- the "hard drive" of the car)
3) Brenspeed was able to figure out the Strategy code of the code from the PCM processor code -- the two are "linked" (although I'm not exactly sure how)
4) Brenspeed used the PCM processor code to create the custom tunes, which were based on the car's original Strategy
5) I had a performance problem with the car and took it into a Ford Service center -- and I flashed the car back to stock and removed the CAI before taking it in
6) They fixed the problem (in my case, replaced all of the spark plugs) but also, as part of their tuning process, loaded a new Strategy code into the PCM -- although they didn't put a new PCM in, and it still has the same processor code as it had before
7) When I got the car back, I reinstalled the CAI and plugged in the XCal to reload the 93 custom tune, which was based on the original Strategy code
8) The XCal did not read/detect the new Strategy code in the stock tune and loaded the "old" custom tune
9) I fired up the car, and it would not start
10) In troubleshooting this situation, I put the stock air box back in and reflashed the car back to stock
11) Unfortunately, the stock tune loaded in the XCal still had the original Strategy code and not the new one from the Ford Service center, so it actually CHANGED the Strategy back to the original one
12) When I fired up the car again, it still would not start
So the upshot is: Brent is asking me for the new Strategy on the car, I'm using the XCal to read it...but what I'm reading off it and giving to him is not the Strategy that the Service center put in, it's the original Strategy.
...the story has a happy ending. Brent has been GREAT in following up, calling me at work several times, and yesterday we got the vehicle to work. Not to leave you hanging, but I'm not sure I should reveal the details of how the problem was resolved...let's just say that if you go with Brenspeed, you will get taken care of if anything goes wrong with your Stang from a tune perspective. (Item/hint: The stock strategy is NOT unique from vehicle to vehicle.)
So, let me know, on this thread or through a PM, if you experience a similar situation...
After the Loose was back on her feet, I got the Pypes Violators installed...oh man does she sound sweeter now! Will share another post about that install experience, though...
THAT was my big Christmas present!
"I may never be famous, but my girls Dixi and Luci sure are."
Dixi Candace: Windveil Blue Stick V6 '05, Steeda CAI w/BBK 70mmTB/hi-flo inlet, XCal2, ASP UP, JBA SS Shorties/Evol, FRPP T-Lok diff, 34/28 mm F/R sway bars, MMR rear LCAs, Monte C. strut bar, Precision 3.73s, Snow H2OCH4O, "Q" grille and tons of Dixi Bling chrome
Luci Elinor: Legend Lime Auto GT '06 Premium, JLT2 CAI, XCal2 Brenspeed 93, BBK 62mmx2 TB, Steeda UPs, Pypes Violators polished, SMR strut tower, A.H. & Stage3 louvers