Ford Mustang Forum banner

08 GT shift boot retainer

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  AMAlexLazarus 
#1 ·
Hello all.... I ordered a retro shift knob from American Muscle, and it came with the shift ball and shift boot retainer. The 1st shift boot retainer would not screw down all the way to allow enough threading from the shifter to come out the top to screw the ball on. I called them, they sent me replacement retainer which was worse. It turned a few times, then actually got stuck and I had to use pliers to remove it. I really like the shift knob, but have no idea what to do about the retainer not fitting. Has anyone run into this issue? It seems when I read reviews on AM it fits fine for most people. Idk if it has to do with the fact that it's a GT premium with upgraded interior. Either way, the threading on tyne shifter is too wide, the retainer is not wide enough!!

#2 ·
I ran into this also, I just cut about 1/4" off the top of the retainer with a cutting disk on my grinder. I have a MGW (LOVE IT) shifter with stock type threads. AM gave me the run around and wouldn't send a new retainer so I just cut mine down and it works great. good luck

#3 ·
Hey - Sorry to hear about the trouble here but drop me a line with your order information and I'll get a replacement set up for you right now.

I ran into this also, I just cut about 1/4" off the top of the retainer with a cutting disk on my grinder. I have a MGW (LOVE IT) shifter with stock type threads. AM gave me the run around and wouldn't send a new retainer so I just cut mine down and it works great. good luck

bl817 - I'm not sure what transpired here but I wanted to apologize about the runaround and level of service you received. Shoot me a PM with any order info and I'll see to it that we have a refund set up for the work that you had to do on yours!

Alex

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.