Ford Mustang Forum banner

2006 mustang GT engine rattle/tick

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  DangerRanger 
#1 ·
I've seen some posts on this here, but my car is only making rattling/ticks noises after 2 to 4 hours of delivering pizza. Only on higher rpms the noise comes out, but like I said only after hours of heavy driving. Strange. I've had oil changed at Ford, and tried octane booster. Also just changed plugs, so I don't know. Should I upgrade fuel? Always use BP, but not the expensive one. Thanks guys.

#4 ·
If your car is tuned, your timing may be advanced too far. I'd suggest going down to a lower octane tune while maintaining high octane gas and see if it helps or data logging and tweaking the spark in the Rev range you're hearing it in.

Worst case scenario would likely be in the valve train such as lifters with that mileage.

#6 ·
Do not use octane booster as it tends to foul the spark plugs in the S197 GT's.
Also, if the noise continues at higher rpm's, then the engine may be pinging due to carbon build up inside the combustion chambers. A treatment or 2 of Seafoam may help to eliminate the carbon.

#7 ·
Also, you might want to clean the Throttle Body and MAF sensor. Probably has nothing to do with the noises you are hearing, but if they have never been cleaned, it is certainly time well spent just from a general maintenance standpoint.

#8 ·
my 07 was rattling a bit for the last month. had not changed the oil in 6 months/5500 miles. changed the oil and problem was solved

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.