Ford Mustang Forum banner

Preloaded tune with CAI

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  JBert 
#1 ·
so I decided to go with the SCT 7015 x4. Bought it new off of amazon with the intentions of getting a custom tune later from MPT or bama. My question is, can I run a cold air intake properly with a canned tune from sct?

#4 ·
It depends on whether the tuner has a tune or adjustment for the intake that you want to run.

The important thing is the diameter of the metering section in the intake, where the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor is. The computer MUST be using the correct diameter in its math, or it will calculate the wrong amount of air coming in, command the wrong amount of fuel from the injectors, and the air/fuel mix will be wrong. (usually lean, because aftermarket intakes often have bigger tubes than the stock one)

I've never played with the built-in tunes in those tuners, but I think they do come with settings for different intakes. It might go by the brand/model of the intake, or it might go by the diameter of the metering section. Either way, if you can find the right setting for your intake, it will be fine.

#5 ·
Okay just got my car back and it does have options for a variety of intakes so I'm set for that...but I did load a 87 canned tune and let me tell you I was a little uneasy. Throttle response was WAY too sensitive. I was spinning tires just backing out of my driveway. Accelerating from a stand still was not pleasant, too much jerk from the throttle, didn't feel in control. Not smooth at all. Please tell me that's just a result of a canned tune.

#6 ·
Probably yes, that sounds pretty extreme . . . it might get better after you drive it a bit, I think there are some things about the throttle control that the computer has to relearn.

If there is a choice of different tunes, maybe you can try a less aggressive one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.