Ford Mustang Forum banner

strut studs stripped

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Krieg 
#1 ·
I was trying to install the ford racing strut tower brace on my 09 GT with the dress up kit still on by adding washers, while torquing down the nuts I managed to strip just the top two threads on the stud does anyone know the thread pattern on the stock studs?

#2 ·
I don't know the stud size/thread pitch but if you take one of the nuts to your local hardware store they should be able to tell you what it is.

The tricky part may be replacing the stud. I have a top mount sitting here and it appears the studs are pressed, possibly spot welded into the plate. And to make matter worse it appears you would have to take the strut mount apart to get the stud out. Which I'm not sure you can do without destroying the mount.

If it was me I would try removing the washers and see if you have enough thread left to tighten the nut.

Jon…

#3 ·
Don't put any washer's under the brace, and only put one on top. The torque rating is something like 30ft-lbs which isn't a lot.

I know the thread size but it's written inside my tool chest and I'm nowhere near that.

My advice is to take one of the nuts to the hardware store and figure it out. HD and Lowes have ouija boards for trying nuts and bolts out. You can always take the nut off after you parked.

Once you have the thread you might be able to find a dye to try and re-thread it. Personally, I'd see this as an op to buy new strut mounts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.