Ford Mustang Forum banner

2007 GT Clutch, Trans, or Normal?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  jlee910 
#1 ·
My 2007 GT has 75k miles, on the original clutch as far as I know. My brother has a 2006 GT with 19k miles, and there is no comparison in the shifting. My 1-2 shifting has a hard notch quite often and it's like you can almost feel the gear itself. My clutch is way heavier than his, granted I know clutches get harder to press with age, but I haven't noticed any slippage and the clutch isn't engaging/disengaging on the floor.

My question is, would my 1-2 shift issue likely be due to a bad synchro since it's smooth in every other shift or is it likely that my clutch is on its last legs? What is the typical lifespan of a stock clutch in a 2005-2010 GT?

If it's time for replacement, do any of you have experience with the Exedy Mach 500 clutch and Exedy lightweight flywheel?

I'm intending on adding FI in 2-3 years after finishing college and having solid, stable income, so that's why I'm looking at the Mach 500.

I bought the car at 58k bone stock from a woman, so there's no telling how many gears have been ground or clutches have been ridden over its lifespan... Lol

#2 ·
I'm not quite sure myself about the 1st and 2nd issues, I have a similar issue with 1st and 2nd. They are quite hard to get into when downshifting. I have approx. 26K miles and have the Barton Shifter, Exedy Mach 500, and the Exedy Lightweight Flywheel. I am a big fan of all 3. The flywheel makes the engine rev much quicker and is good to replace when upgrading the clutch. The Mach 500 is quite a heavy duty clutch requiring a decent amount of pressure. It grabs like crazy which is awesome! The Barton shifter is nice also. Just an FYI, the lightweight flywheel can impact drivability minimally with stock cams, but if you are planning to go with cams, you will definitely need a dyno tune. And then still do not expect stock drivability. With a good dyno tune, it is quite enjoyable. Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll do my best to help!

By the way, my Barton shifter rattles at neutral. What's up with that?

#3 ·
By the way, my Barton shifter rattles at neutral. What's up with that?
My Barton doesn't rattle at all. It's solid, quieter, and way smoother than stock. I'd make sure everything is tight and that your shift boot is seated properly. That rubber boot was a PITA to get just right.

If I end up needing a clutch, the Exedy looks like the best choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.