Ford Mustang Forum banner

Mustang GT Auto Trans with HP Camshafts??

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Ruffy07 
#1 ·
Anyone here have a 4.6L V8 with an Automatic Trans
and have you installed any of the HP camshafts? like Fords HP camshafts?
If you have do you have any Problems with the Trans? like wanting to surge or anything else??
Why do I ask I am thinking about installing Camshafts in my 4.6L but I do have an auto trans

Bill

#2 ·
I've never heard of HP camshafts, but if you're referring to cams like the Ford Racing Hot Rod cams or Comp NSR cams, many have ran them. They generally perform better with a stall, but I believe you should be fine with a stage 1 or stage 2 cam such as Comp Stage 2 NSR cams or Brenspeed Detroit Rocker cams.

Just know you're really only adding camshafts for sound, not power.

#4 ·
Sorry HP Camshafts ( abbreviated ) High Performance Camshafts, Like above ford racing hot rod cams! Like justin73
I really do not want to go to a stall converter, I got this Mustang with an auto trans thinking my wife would drive it
and she did once and now wont even get into the car!! Sweet!! All for ME!! Been debating if to trade it in for a stick
but I just can not find the right color

I had performance cams in my Chevy muscle cars with auto trans and had no problems back then
But was just worried with the newer fords

Bill

#5 ·
If you're all stock and just adding cams then your only probably going to add max 10 hp....i'm sitting 341 hp to the wheels running Hot Rod Cams but thats with the help of many bolt ons...I have no surging issues either...but it seems as if I need to clean my throttle body and my mass airflow sensor regularly to keep it that way. If you're all stock you'll prolly benefit more from a cold air intake and a tune than just cams because the right cold air intake and tune will net you close to 35 hp :)

#6 ·
So far all I have done is added a K&N Typhoon CAI $57.95
I was looking at a 5.0L GT and dam the lop that motor had made me remember my Chevy Chevelle
But that lop from the engine!!!
I plan on getting some long tube headers and a H pipe and doing away with the cats ( I do not have to deal with DEQ )
as for tuning I seem to Not able to swallow the price of the tuners nor the cost of the headers and then the cost of the cams
To me these prices seem to be rip off pricing! Yes over the years I have seen prices go up, but this is my first muscle car in over 25 years and am shell shocked about the performance parts pricing! YES I am a Grumpy old man!!

to many problems with this mustang and only 79k on it. My friend just got a 05 Shelby GT and dam that car is quick and sounds great but he paid close to 18k for it
my car has that slow speed speed bump clunk in the front end, the drivers seat seems to be starting to break and no matter
how for a park my car from everyone else some SOB parks next to me and dings my car
I love my mustang I really do but the quality of it is sad

#7 ·
I hate you think you've got a lemon. The 4.6 3v Mustangs are well known to be some of the most reliable on the road, many with 300k+ miles on the original drivetrain.

Parts are more expensive than a SBC for several reasons on top of time and prices going up. The S197 with the 4.6 3v was made for 5 years; the S197's version of the 4.6 3v was only put into one car platform. They're a SOHC engine with electronic throttle, timing, and fuel management controls. The SBC was cheap because it was an old carbureted pushrod engine that Chevrolet put in EVERYTHING and everything swapped over. So when a company makes a part for a Chevy muscle car with a 350, they pretty much just have to make a part for a 350 that was produced for decades. When a part is made for a 2005-2010 Mustang GT, it's made for a 2005-2010 Mustang GT. I don't like it any more than you do.

If you're wanting a project and big power, look into Department of Boost. They sell a kit to put the blower off of a GT500 onto your Mustang GT. It's about to cost of a tuner, cold air intake, cams, long tubes, and gears + labor and will put you at the full capabilities of what the stock drivetrain will handle with plenty of room to grow.

Just know that with an automatic transmission, you probably dyno out around 240-250 horsepower at the wheels. With cams, long tube headers, a cold air intake, and a tuner, you may see 300-315 with the automatic. Cams alone may give you 10hp at the most without the cold air intake and headers to let it breathe.

#8 ·
Look My first Mustang was a 1969 mustang Mach 1 428 CJ
This 06 mustang gt as for the ride is way better, the power well not like the 428
look at the cost of headers not much into making these even in stainless steel I have myself
built custom headers and $600 and up is a rip off
the cold air intake I got for 58 buck on the web that led to an ebay sale well 3 weeks later that same add
for the same CAI jumped to over $200.00 so what changed?? to get to $200.00

as for a Lemon No! But I Do Think FORD has cut way to many corners to get a higher profit margin
now if a complete remodel like going from the fox body to the s197 in the first lets say 2 or 3 years you would get some
issues that will pop up in time.
not to pick or beat up on any vendor on this site I'll bet most of what they sell comes from over sea's MFG's
point in case my best friend son is in the US NAVY his ship went to Taiwan and he got a Sony home theater TV system
for $700 that same system at best buy is over $2600
so looking at a tuner at $400 like cell phones are like 60% or more cheaper in Asia area but when shipped into the USA
the price just about triples
the 4.6L has been around for a while so parts pricing should be dropping but they are not

look at the problem with the paint blistering on the mustang hoods and if out of warranty that repair is out of your pocket
and no matter what way you go you are over a $1000.00 fix
look at all of use here on this forum that also have this clunking noise in the front end??

yes in my spare time I cruse this forum to get insight and info but the as a past job I used to be a auto shop manager
and had dealt with parts warehouses and pricing. I just got 2 camshafts for a Toyota 3.0l v6 brand new for $189 with shipping
$700, $800, $900 for 2 for the 4.6L v8 no they price these parts to the market to how must WE ARE WILLING TO PAY FOR THEM
remember you use to be able to get most anything cheaper online and in a vast majority of thing you still can
but online prices for are mustangs are just as high online here as going down to the parts store in town

like most everyone here and I say most what I would like is a set of headers a set of camshafts CAI and some other mods
just to get my mustang to sound like that muscle car of the old day sound and to look like a BAD ASS MUSTANG
there is a shop that regrinds camshafts maybe they can regrind the stock camshafts but thinking about it maybe not
most people here don't have a money tree in the back yard and fixing hoods and clunking noise and other ford problem
keeps most from doing mods

Yes I Am A Grumpy Old Man

#9 ·
That's one of the reasons I skipped headers.....price combined with price of install, I couldn't justify it. Another reason is the fact I've heard over the years that Ford did a good job on the flow of the stock exhaust on these 05-09 GTs. So I put on a big CAI on one end and a less restrictive race muffler on the other and stuck cams in the middle.
Yes, hand held tuners have gotten expensive. As you know, your other choice is a dyno tune which will probably cost about the same. If you go through with headers, cams and anything else, try to do it all together, get it tuned on a dyno and never have to worry about it again.
I feel your pain. My money tree died years ago.

#10 ·
I agree...the cost of parts and labor has skyrocketed. I have the Brenspeed Detroit Rocker cams and an FRPP CAI with a 93 Brenspeed tune and Brisk plugs. Car runs nice. 3:73's going in soon. But while I would love to add a set of Kooks headers, catted H-pipe, FRPP intake and matching TB we are now looking at over 4k with parts and labor. My money tree died a while ago but every now and then a sprig emerges. Most likely i'll end up selling it and buy a later model with the Coyote motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.