Ford Mustang Forum banner

Increasing Steering feel.

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  sqidd 
#1 ·
2007 Mustang GT with only 28K. Looking for some advice to get some weight on the steering wheel feel. It is crazy light and sometimes a little scary when you get on it. There is no play or mechanical issues, I think this is just the way they came from the factory. Trying to find something that would provide a bit more feel to it. Would a bump steer kit assist with this? Any other options that are not crazy expensive? Not looking to replace the entire rack or anything like that. car does have 20"x8.5" in the front and the car is lowered on Ford racing springs. No major mods other then tune, cai and exhaust. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You may need to restore caster/camber or suspension geometry. My brothers car had FRPP springs and drove like a death trap at 19k miles until we put the factory springs back under it.

I personally won't lower without strut mounts, shocks, caster/camber plates, a Panhard bar, and control arms because of how dangerous his car felt on rough roads and acceleration.

Also, what wheels are you running? The size, offset, weight, and tires you're running could have something to do with it.

#3 ·
A bump steer kit won't help with steering feel. Unless you're genuinely experiencing a bump steer condition, all it will do is reduce it.

Provided that there's nothing wrong with your car, you have a few options:

1. Add more negative camber and max out the caster. Both of these will increase steering effort and make the steering feel 'tighter.' There are two ways you can accomplish this - either through caster camber plates, or camber bolts. If you go the camber bolt route, only buy the bolts from Ford. Do not buy the undersized camber bolts. Bad idea.

2. If you're looking for more 'feedback' instead of increasing effort, you could change out your front control arm bushings with either Prothane, Energy Suspension of Whiteline. The whitelines are the most expensive, but will probably be the quietest.

This is a bear of a job and requires burning off and pressing out the original bushings, but it is a worthwhile upgrade if you track the car or corner hard.

I've done both of the above mods (running -2.25 camber and not wearing my tires unevenly :grin:) and the car is very planted at speed and feels awesome. Lots of feel in the steering wheel and nice and tight steering feel.

If this is only happening at higher speeds, this could also be an aero issue. I installed a 2010 front air dam to help with front end lift and it makes a big difference. That's also a bit of a custom cut and splice job, so to speak. Check out sqidd's original thread here http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...10-front-diffuser-installed-good-results.html

Note that I did my own version of this mod, which doesn't involve cutting into your bumper cover. It's on the last page of the thread.

Hope this helps.

#8 ·
This^^^^^

And you can put a smaller OD steering wheel on it. It will steer faster, but with more "weight".

#4 ·
I'll second the poly control arm bushing idea. Coming from a very well set up E30 BMW to this car I was a little let down with the steering too. Although it was an ENORMOUS pain to do the install it was well worth it. And besides poly bushings on both sway bars my car is bone stock. I love the way it handles and feels. Honestly don't think I'll even lower it. Some KONI STR.T's and I think I'll be done. Love this car.

#7 ·
Haha yeah...even the E30 M3's had a paltry 200ish hp...

And all the electrical issues... and the crazy multi pin DME (IIRC) connector that got wet when coolant leaked...

Not to mention the insane cost of parts on basically any German car.

I'm glad I moved over to the domestics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.