Ford Mustang Forum banner

First Mod Decision

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  jacknifetoaswan 
#1 ·
Pretty sure that I can't go wrong with a pair of axle backs to kick off the mod bug with the new GT/CS. I have my eyes set on a pair of MAC axle backs, fairly priced and could potentially come on a good used pair if I'm lucky. I'm from country south Louisiana and my exhaust note preference is DEEP, old school and just plain old country. The type of sound you could right along cane fields for miles and smile the whole time. As much as I'd like to do everything at once as I did with my sixer, my budget will not allow that this time around so just the axle backs will be enough for now. Future exhaust plans involve an off road pro-chamber (really liked it on the sixer) so I'm sure i'll love it more on the 3V, and depending on if who i can get to PROPERLY install longtubes, i may get them or i may not. I'll definitely get a tuner this time around as the 07GT/CS should see many more years than the 99 sixer gave me. Listened to a few youtube clips of similar cars with MAC axle backs and they are spot on with me. What did anybody else go with on their first exhaust mod?

#2 ·
If you have a manual transmission, seriously consider a MGW or Barton shifter. It's a world of difference from the stock shifter and IMO the biggest bang for the buck mod wise.

A quality tune would be a close second choice for the next mod.

#3 ·
FR500S is my exhaust recommendation. I did a thread on it asking people for advice and it was highly recommended and glad it was. I LOVE IT!

Wheels, intake, tune, or 1000's of other options for Mods. You really can't go wrong with modding a Mustang can you?

Reactions: kenefise97
#4 ·
Axle backs are a gateway Mod, you will become hooked and spend lots of $$$$$ Please step back and consider the consequences>:)
My first Mod was MBRP axlebacks, thought I loved them, spent 350 + bucks on them and hell it was a Mod, so they are better......right, uh...not really.
It would not be my first Mod, unless you just want it to be loud. CAI and Tune, or just a tune would be first. Some say gears, didn't do it so really can't tell ya.
Some say pullies, maybe. Just depends on what you want to do.

I also found a deal on used FR500 and they are great, No drone and when you get on it, everyone will hear it.

#7 ·
I'm not looking for obnoxiously loud, but I need for the GT to sound the way it we imagine American made V8 muscle cars to sound. Stock mufflers are ok but not deep/loud enough. Honestly if i can find a deal on some mildly used axlebacks like MAC or GTA's that'd be perfect. I'll get into power mods later, just feel like exhaust is necessary at the moment.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#5 ·
I went with Pypes Violators axlebacks. Price point was good and there is a baffle sound as RPMs lower that reminds me of my Firebird's exhaust back in the day. Hoping to do headers one day, and that will open them up some. But for now, they are a good sound but not so loud that the neighbors call the police every time I start it up... Thought about the Macs - they also look good for the price. Thought about the pro-chamber, but lot of folks say that increases drone - no drone for me...

#6 ·
I currently have a MAC full exhaust. I started with the MAC Boomtubes and Prochamber mid pipe as my first mods. I went with the Prochamber to have a little bit different setup from the usual x-pipe/h-pipe, and I could add the MAC longtube headers later without purchasing a new mid-pipe. I went with Boomtubes for their straight-through design, plus I heard chambered mufflers cause more drone. I added cats because of emission testing in my area. my setup is a little loud at startup but is fairly tame on the road until I'm at WOT.

#8 ·
So do you have the long tubes now? Or still running the pro chamber straight thru to the boom tubes? IMO i think there is a lot of gray area between what drone sounds like. On my sixer i had longtubes, prochamber and Flow40's and it sounded like great. Some may consider it droney but it didnt bother me and sounded similar to a v8. Ive always wondered about boom tubes tho, are the just straight piping or is there some special quality to them?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#9 ·
I felt the same about the stock mufflers. Great sound but not loud enough. So my thought was 2 chambers were too much so I went with 1 chambers. I got the same sound but a step or 2 louder, more pronounced.
And I agree with your opinion about drone. A friend of mine in town had some roush mufflers on his GT and the drone echoed in your head. Lol. He couldn't take it and ditched em.
My set up sounds great to me inside and out. I like hearing my exhaust at interstate cruising speeds.
It's all personal preference.

#10 ·
Drone is the biggest factor in muffler choice for me. I've ran flowmasters, Borla S Type, Borla Touring, and the stockers.

I got compliments on the S-Types everywhere and Borlas tips are one of the best looking features of the car. Deep, and pretty loud outside of the car but next to no drone.

Flowmasters droned so bad that it was actually quieter inside the car if I rolled windows down. They also had this tin can trumpet if I shifted around 4k. I ditched them as quick as I saved up enough money to get the Touring.

Touring is quieter than you're going to want. It's essentially the same as the Magnaflows, and there is absolutely zero drone. As I intend to add LTs and a cat less midpipe, I chose the more docile set over going back to the S Type.

I've heard those MACs drone as bad as the Flowmasters did, so personally, I'd avoid them. I like my car loud, but I hate drone. I had straight pipes on my cruiser and Two Brothers on my Ninja, nothing but glasspacks in my 86 F-150 with a 302, and straights in my Dodge truck. All very loud, but the drone in that mustang broke me of loud and cheap mufflers.

Look into Borla S-Types and LTs. You won't be disappointed.

#11 ·
Borla makes the Ford Racing mufflers too - both types - so if you can find a deal on either Borla or Ford Racing you'll be getting the same sound.

#12 ·
I was thinking FR500S if I do it. They are a little more than stock but not too over the top.

#13 ·
Yessjhdumas3, I have MAC Longtube Headers. My setup is only loud at startup. The cats that are added to the setup did a lot to tame the sound. The Pro-chamber mid-pipe gives me the sound somewhere between an x-pipe and an h-pipe. I listened to a lot of Youtube videos before making my decision. There is nothing special about the Boomtube Mufflers, I just wanted to be different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.