Ford Mustang Forum banner

300 HP aint nothing to sneeze at.

7K views 37 replies 22 participants last post by  jam07GT 
#1 ·
Everybody who has a 2005-2009 4.6l .The first thing they want to do is ..more HP!!!To me 300 HP is fun enough to drive and wont get away from you.Let alone some super charged or turbo charged 550 animal.
I was watching youtube and watched a video of all these classic muscle cars.Old 442,Buick GX,Challemger RT,Boss 409,etc..
They did 0-60's,breaking test,1/4 mile.A stock 2005-2009 hangs with a big block Chevelle SS,GTO Judge ,even the Boss 409..So like I said 300hp is fine with me.Fun to drive but wont bite you back.
Heres video Im talking bout.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKUFV8vLdPw

#2 ·
I can't help but want more out of my GT after driving my friends 2007 GT500, especially considering my prior DD was a 2005 Kawasaki ZX-10R.

Buy yes, the 2005-2009 GTs outperform the traditional muscle cars.

#3 ·
Yes the 4.6 is plenty fun, and yes I still want more.

I can hit close to 120 on the main straight on my local road track, over and over every lap, and the car hardly breaks a sweat. That's pretty fast.

My '70 Olds 442 with the 455 big block could get over 100 fairly easily, but it was pretty scary, not something you would want to do 12 times in a 20 minute session . . . and I'd be worried about Turn 1 . . .

#4 ·
Yeah, 300hp is nothing to shout about these days but in a 3500lb car, it's still enough to provide more performance than you'll ever need on the street. With minor bolt ons and a tune, you can say hello to 350hp and 12-sec 1/4 mile ETs. Fast enough for me but without being scary and uncontrollable like a wild animal. That's competitive with modern muscle cars producing close to 450hp due to the fact that they're also carrying more weight (2015 GT 435hp & 3800lb, Camaro SS 455hp & 3800lb, Challenger SRT8 Scat Pack 485hp & 4200lb).
The aforementioned classic muscle cars were fast in their day but high 13-sec ETs with low 100's trap speeds can now be achieved by modern 2.0L turbo hot hatchbacks that can also get 35mpg on the highway instead of 12mpg.

#5 ·
. . . . Fast enough for me but without being scary and uncontrollable like a wild animal. . . . .

But then again, scary and uncontrollable (in a good way) does sound like fun.

#6 ·
300 HP (plus about another 15 from a FRPP tune) is entirely enough at the intermediate level, and the consequence of chasing much more than that is going to be greater consumables cost (brake pads, rotors, tires, etc.). I think I'm ready for more, but in no hurry (and I won't ever go forced induction to get it). It's kind of fun to run similar lap times as "faster cars", and I rarely use more than about 50% throttle on the street as it is.

Below is a video from my first session at NJMP/Thunderbolt last Sunday. About 6 minutes in, I pointed the Corvette that was gridded behind me by. After that, I think he was hanging back a bit, but in turn he was holding me up some in at least three of the corners. Turned out I'd driven that very same 'Vette at a different track day demonstration drive, so I have a little idea what it could do. The 'Vette and my '08 GT were probably the fastest two in the "B" run group until the Ariel Atom came out to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2noaEvV7uw

Norm

#8 ·
My take on "scary and uncontrollable" is that you not only stepped out past your skill set but went beyond the point where you're learning anything. Scary in a good way without being uncontrollable is where you're crowding your own limits and can still improve from the experience.

Norm

#16 ·
My take on "scary and uncontrollable" is that you not only stepped out past your skill set . . .

I guess I really mean "scary but controllable"

Sometime in this life I'd like to own a car that is "scary fast" . . . this Mustang is close but not quite there. I think the extra 100 HP you get with a Coyote might do it, or if not I think a 500 HP Z06 should do it or maybe . . . . hmmmm, I think I see where this is going . . . .

#9 ·
I love those who declare X hp to be all anybody ever "needs". Of course it is. But anybody who looks upon Mustang ownership as merely fulfilling a "need" rather than an amazing way to indulge "wants" would've been FAR better off spending his money on something other than a Mustang to begin with.

Reactions: Vistance
#10 ·
V6/i4

300 HP certainly isn't anything to sneeze at, but when the slightly newer models with much smaller engines (albeit with higher octane required for the turbo) are running that stock it makes you remember the reason you told yourself to go with the V8 in the first place. More headroom. Get building!

#11 ·
I agree with the OP. I have held back on the "mandatory" CAI/Tune/Axle back mod. My stock GT goes pretty fast. I drive mostly in town so my 0-speed limit happens pretty fast. I have no problem hitting 100 before the end of the onramp to the interstate. For a non-tracked DD, I'd rather do cosmetic mods than mechanical.

#12 ·
Everybody who has a 2005-2009 4.6l .The first thing they want to do is ..more HP!!!To me 300 HP is fun enough to drive and wont get away from you.Let alone some super charged or turbo charged 550 animal.
I was watching youtube and watched a video of all these classic muscle cars.Old 442,Buick GX,Challemger RT,Boss 409,etc..
They did 0-60's,breaking test,1/4 mile.A stock 2005-2009 hangs with a big block Chevelle SS,GTO Judge ,even the Boss 409..So like I said 300hp is fine with me.Fun to drive but wont bite you back.
Heres video Im talking bout.http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/images/AllFordMustangs-vbtoucan/icons/post_face_grin.png
300 is very respectable and much fun to drive with. My buddy has a 2013 v6 thats packing 305 and I think its a blast, but he complains about not having a GT. I drive a 2013 GT and I couldnt trade that 420+ for the 300 on an older GT. As long as you know how to control yourself and your car, a 650+ hp street car isnt a problem. Im currently working on getting a VMP stage 2 kit together for my Coyote and I cant wait. Buying a mustang and building is where the fun is at. Starting out with "plenty of horsepower" is always fun because you can enjoy the car in stock form but adding to and/or doubling that stock figure is extremely satisfying :grin:

#21 ·
Heres video Im talking bout.

Boss 409 ...... You just insulted one of the most revered and sought after Mustangs ever created. It's a Boss 429 ... 409's were Chevy's.

And if you actually ran up against one of those old Muscle cars (assuming they were in restored shape), you would likely find out that it's more like 390 hp, unless they have been modified with current technology, in which case, it's may be more likely that they have 450 hp. It may say 396 SS on the fender, but it may have a 600 hp 502 crate motor inside.

300 hp. got real boring for me after a year or two. Once you learn how to handle 550 hp, learn how to get up on the wheel, use common sense about where not to apply it, and have the proper respect for the power, 550 hp is not such an angry animal.
Besides that, the whine of a supercharger is addicting.

#24 ·
If you've never had your car on a dyno, crank HP & T is all you've got. OE specs plus some conservative estimate from any mods.

Last year I got to drive a Gallardo, a F430, and a Porsche Turbo S in a 1st & 2nd gear autocross setting with a "straight" long enough to wind 2nd out nearly to redline. Up to nearly double my '08 GT's power/torque and using just about all of it with no previous seat time in any of those cars was exciting in hindsight, but more like "business as usual except faster" at the time. Heh . . . VelocityDriving still has my helmet cam video up on their home page.

Norm

#27 ·
My car surprises a whole bunch of people at the local track in Mexico. If you can drive it, you can beat a lot of other cars from a dig, cars with a lot more horsepower, especially if their driver mod sucks.

#32 ·
Meh numbers.
I've no clue what I put down since I started throwing parts at her.

I do know this.
She sounds amazing.
Pulls plenty hard.
And the last 5.0 I ran didn't pass me til around 6k in 4th.

Is it making more than 300 to the wheels? Maybe, I don't know.

Does she turn heads? Yes.
Is she still reliable? You bet.
Are there faster cars? Absolutely.

But for a daily, she has plenty of pep. Will spin through second in an automatic.
And shakes and lopes at idle.

I'm happy with my bolt on build.
And have no doubts the motor itself won't see at least 200k.
By then I'll up the ante with a small entry level blower.
Maybe bumping to the mid-high 300 rwhp range.

I built her to cruise. And she does it well.

And to any new owners, that's what's important.
What do you want, and did you get it?
Past that, just enjoy your little slice of automotive history.

I doubt we'll ever see another retro styled mustang like the 05-09.
Enjoy em and take care of em!

Cheers

Reactions: Smokievol
#33 ·
+10,000
Too many people around here love to throw around interweb bench racing numbers.
Just build your car to your liking and stop trying to rationalize every bolt turn.
If you're that insecure about your car, give up........ sell it.....and get a four cylinder.

#35 ·
The last couple posts are really good. It's your car. Do what you want. Enjoy. Some race. Some cruise. Some mod. Some leave stock - or basically stock. It's all good.

I love the style of the S197. The new ones are growing on me, but I still like the "retro" look of my 06 GT. I plan on mostly "cosmetic" mods, but may toss in a tuner something down the road. Right now it goes plenty fast and sounds ok. I smile every time I start it, and I feel bad ass when I drive it. So does my wife. Gonna do what I can when I can and try not to get all involved in forum stuff.

#36 ·
The last couple posts are really good. It's your car. Do what you want. Enjoy. Some race. Some cruise. Some mod. Some leave stock - or basically stock. It's all good.

I love the style of the S197. The new ones are growing on me, but I still like the "retro" look of my 06 GT. I plan on mostly "cosmetic" mods, but may toss in a tune or something down the road. Right now it goes plenty fast and sounds ok. I smile every time I start it, and I feel bad ass when I drive it. So does my wife. Gonna do what I can when I can and try not to get all involved in forum stuff.

#37 ·
Great post and agree 100%.

#38 ·
I like the muscle car look of the 05-09s, too.

My favorite thing is working on the car and seeing how fast I can get it to go at the track while at the same keeping it totally streetable. Like someone earlier said, you get used to the power level you are at, and then you want more, and that's just an endless and expensive road for sure. I've done all the bolt ons possible and cams/beehive springs and my car runs pretty darn good, and was actually the fastest car driven in and run just like it's driven on the street, though we don't have tons of cars at our track either. Point is, it's a fun, fast street car. To me the fun is optimizing what you have. I had planned on going FI next year, but the car is so much fun the way it is, I will probably just leave it and see just how fast I can get it to go, really dial it in. I'd like to hit 8.35 in the 1/8 mile (at over 3000 ft elevation). But I tend to enjoy working on it more than driving it.

Speed and comfort tend to be inversely proportional, though these cars are way better than old muscle cars in that respect. My 69 chevelle was fast but my wife wouldn't even ride in it with me it was so loud, and forget about cornering, and at 120 you'd think a fender was about to fly off the car.

It's relatively simple to make power these days. My 69 chevelle ran 14.7 in the 1/4 (3K elevation) with stock exhaust and street tires, three burnt valves, 650 carb, and 3.55 gears, muncie m20, but back in the 80s it was a fast car. I only lost three street races and those were to two drag cars and a Buick Grand National. A 12 second street car was really fast. Now you have to run 10s to have a "fast" street car. (BTW: Not condoning street racing; I don't do that stuff now; but was young and dumb then).

The technology these days is amazing.

A stock GT with a manual is plenty of fun for street driving for a lot of people and that's cool, too. Enjoy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.