Ford Mustang Forum banner

Army Soldier need some advice

1K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  bluegt08 
#1 ·
So i am a soldier in alaska. I have a 2006 ford mustang gt. Good news is tires are new and the car only has 30k miles on it.

Guess what i am going on a journey to michigan and then to california. Total of 7000k miles i sadly have to put on my car.

What things should i do before i go? Transmission fluid is bright red so no worries there, coolant looks in good condition, i am replacing the spark plugs with 1 piece just because its better to do it now, tires have been replaced, oil has been changed to mobil 1 synthetic, brake pads and rotors have been replaced, fuel filter has been replaced.

Anything else?

#2 ·
I don't see anything you omitted in your preparation. Take the common emergency roadside essentials and drive safe and enjoy the travel.

#5 ·
I'd check the hoses also.

Pete

#6 ·
Check your spare tire and carry a plug kit with you with a 12V outlet air pump. Your car is 11 years old. Odds are, even if you have the spare, it's flat.

#7 ·
Bring a new serpentine belt and a set of sockets. Always handy to have if your belt happened to break. Other than that, AAA card...

#9 ·
Not clear where you are going from ??

In the lower 48 nothing to worry about.

If you are going through Yukon Territory, and BC, you'll most likely be encountering gravel, rocks, etc. These things damage front end paint, sometimes land on the hood, often damage windshields. Worst part is when local pickup truck drivers can't stand the slow traffic of the motor homes...so they pass everyone and their tires throw more rocks. So if you see one of these behind you, wanting to pass, pull over to right as far as possible. Most driving in these areas, tourists don't pass, as it's useless...just more motor homes/trailers ahead. It's like...take your time and enjoy. Not a place to make time as you'd do on lower 48 freeways.

It's fun to look at the windshields of these pickups as they pass you...they are all cracked. I guess in those places, those pickups, a windshield is only replaced once it has a huge hole.

In BC roads are of course repaired (major repairs including subgrade and subbase) in the summer months. That means, sometimes, a stop and wait of 20 minutes or so until they let traffic through again. Often in these repair areas there's mud, and 4wd does help in those places, yet one can carefully get by without. I'd guess, if one did get stuck, the nearby road repair crews would help out.

And what I always take on a long trip...to use between gas stations...A bottle of Windex, paper towels, or a large terrycloth towel.

#10 ·
+1 on having a spare serpentine belt and the tools to replace it. Also, no mention of replacing the air filter. I would perhaps replace it (if you have not done so recently) before you leave on your trip. Should not need to replace it again until you get back home. Can always pick one up along the way if need be.

Might want to also replace windshield wiper blades as well. Nothing worse than driving in the rain in an unfamiliar city and not being able to see where you are going because of smearing blades.

#11 ·
I would replace the Serpentine belt even if it looks good. Keep the old one for a spare n your trunk. Take basic tools with you. The belt is very easy yo change on the side of the road. Check all your coolant hoses and inspect for sighns of any leaks. The coolant should be fine seeing that you have low milage. Change your cabin air filter. Google for location. Also easy to do. While your cabin filter out at the bottom fill for a rubber plug and make sure nothing is clogging it. That year model had a bad problem of water backing up and draining on to the floor passanger side. It would enter at the cabin air filter location. It happend to me and now my carpet is ruined. My 2 cents have a safe trip!

#12 ·
Wisdom has it that the only parts that will fail on a long trip, are the ones you do not have as spares. Having said that, and being a resident of BC, I'd just plan my route carefully to stay on major highways, and go through bigger cities, where the dealers and jobbers have shops. Not sure where you are in Alaska, but the Alaska Highway can take you towards Edmonton Alberta, or Prince George, BC. From there, the highways are fine down to the lower 48.

But why pile on so many miles on such a low mile car? Is this a permanent move??

#13 ·
Hey bro when I did my PCS from Anchorage to the lower 48 I took the ferry from Haines to Bellingham. The Army paid for it and it was an beautiful trip, met several other Joe's and we all got drunk as **** the whole trip. (Several stops on the ferry, got off and resupplied on booze/munchies). After that you can drive where ever from WA.
As far as supplies everyone has pretty much covered everything that I can remember. I suggest you grab a few cases of Alaskan Amber and White before you leave, as it tasted MUCH better up there.

#14 ·
I drove to Elmendorf from Pennsylvania and 3 years later to Pope AFB (Field). All above are great advice. I drove the Alaska Highway pretty much the whole way. Not sure how it is now, but 10 years ago there were portions of the Alaska Highway that turned into a dirt/stone road. Just take your time and make sure you have some Canadian Money on you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.