Ford Mustang Forum banner

Clutch job

17K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  07GT4.6GrabberO 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm getting ready to replace the stock clutch on my '06 mustang GT with the help of a friend.
I searched the forums but I couldn't find a straight answer for a couple of things. Are there any DIY threads on clutch replacements?

I have the following list of parts:

exedy clutch kit: PP, clutch disc, TOB
Separator plate
Pressure plate bolts/flywheel dowel pins
Pilot bearing
Rear main seal
Braided Clutch line

1. Are the dowel pins necessary if I am resurfacing my stock flywheel?

2. Do I have to tilt the engine for the transmission to clear? Or does it simply slide right off?

3. Any tricks to doing this job on an s197?

Thank you all!

See less See more
#8 ·
And if you loose or brake one of the small pins on the hydraulic line ford will charge you for a whole replacment just for the pins.... if that happens PM me I bought the same pin from bmw for $10... I can look for the part number for you. Good luck like I said earlier but from experience I have been there.

#9 ·
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on this kit:

Exedy Mach 350 Stage 1 Mustang Clutch w/ Hydraulic Throwout Bearing 07809CSC (05-10 GT) - Free Shipping

I have a 2005 convertible that is for street only, I don't track the car. Like the OP, I'll be doing the job on jackstands. I have read that the pilot bearing that comes with this kit sucks, so I'll be getting the FRPP one.

Like the OP, what things should I consider? I wasn't thinking of swapping out the plastic clutch line (yes, I know) or doing anything else other than resurfacing the flywheel.

Any thoughts on Exedy kits? The OEM clutch is stupidly expensive.

#10 ·
I hear good things about the Exedy clutches. I too am about ready to replace my stock clutch. I'm going with t he McLeod RST Twin Disc 800HP Clutch and McLeod Flywheel. :)

#12 ·
I installed my new exedy clutch last weekend . The trick to getting the transmission out is to raise the engine a bit from under in the front ( block of wood under the crankshaft pulley ) to lower the trans , the top bolts are easyer to get at and the trans slide out with no interference. For the crankshaft rear oil seal i used the ford Rotunda otc tool 303-516 (T95P-6701BH) and the seal ended up being about 1/4 in inside the retainer plate.

#13 ·
I ran into funding issues and had to wait, but I just ordered:
-The Driveshaft Shop Aluminum One Piece Driveshaft
-McLeod RST Twin Disc 800HP Clutch - 10 Spline
-McLeod Racing Chromoly Steel Flywheel - 6 Bolt
-McLeod Adjustable Hydraulic Throwout Bearing/Slave Cylinder
-- McLeod Hydraulic Clutch Bleeder Kit

This is too big of job for me, with no lift and all. I'm saving up now to have my buddy at Ford do the job for me. Will post an update after the job is done and I have had a chance to test it out.

@ Night Rider - did you notice any change in clutch pedal pressure difference, meaning it got harder to push in the clutch or about the same as stock? Some complain that it gets harder, which isn't good for old guys with bad knee's.

#14 ·
Hi switchblade. The exedy 500 clutch is harder compared to the stock one. They advertise about 40% harder but I don't know if the hard clutch line helps or not,but I don't find it that hard , I think it's just perfect . But if you have a bad knee your better off with the twin disk I would say especially if you're making 500 hp to the wheels like you are.

#15 ·
Exedy 500 clutch update.
After 600 miles clutch works perfectly. The only thing is that the stock clutch master cylinder that I replaced in 2012 (broking plastic piece) started to leak a bit around the shaft, wasn't leaking before the clutch upgrade,( what a coincidence but I was expecting that ) So I bought the 2014 Shelby GT 500 aluminum cmc. Fits perfectly. It does make the clutch pedal a bit harder to push, and the clutch pedal starts to grab a little higher, wich I like because it was to low before with the exedy clutch and hard clutch line. So now its perfect. I'm just hoping now that the new ford slave cylinder will be able to handle the job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.