Ford Mustang Forum banner

2006 GT donor for another car, doing a 3V swap into a 1967 Volvo

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  1 riktig svensk 
#1 ·
So I picked up a 2006 GT at a car auction. Going to use it for a project car. I've been reading about the M-6017-463V kit. It's the Ford Racing control pack. Requires a 2007-09 engine harness, but that's not a big deal. Can get one cheap. I'd like to use the stock harness, and ECM if at all possible, instead of dropping $1500 on something that I could potentially be without. Wanted to see if anyone has ever completed a swap with the stock pieces. Without the Control Pack? There's a couple of settings that need to be removed/programmed out. Such as...PATS, rear O2 sensors, just to name a few.

Would it be worth trying? Or is it going to be too much of a nightmare? I could just sell the odds and ends that I won't use out of the car, and recoup some $$ towards the control pack. But not all of it.

Pros? Cons? Suggestions? Ideas? Resources?

cheers

#2 ·
Sounds like an interesting project. Are you also Swedish or is it just the Volvo?
You should be able to use the stock wiring harness but the ECU would need to be reprogrammed with a file that has certain functions disabled (PATS, rear O2 sensors, TCS etc.).

#3 ·
Yup :) Born and raised. Left Sweden when I was 21...moved around the country, FL, OH, KY, MN, MA...been in CA since 2006.

Isn't the ECU essentially the same? As the one used in the Ford Racing Control Pack? My gut tells me so...but who knows. Diet down the harness, and use only what I need. My logic says it **should** work. Let's hope :bigthumbsup rock.gif

#4 ·
Soooo....a little update. Here's a pic of the donor. NOT a straight panel anywhere!!! Was able to get her fired up before I pulled the drivetrain. About 90K on the clock, sounded good. Now, I've been working on the Volvo for a few months, and getting close to the tail end of the project. Hoping to have her on the road in the next 3 months.

Narrowed rearend. Cut and resplined axles. Floors were rusted. Replaced those, and made a new tranny tunnel. Made new front frame section, along with crossmember, and trans mount. Fabbed a-arms, and installed coilover setups. Made a watts link setup, instead of panhard. Using a hydraulic handbrake, and a manual proportioning valve. Modifying as much as possible, to work with the Ford bits and pieces. Along with switches, and gauges. Started dissecting the chassi harness. Removed the stereo wiring, ABS, and SRS. Won't be using any of that. Modified the engine harness so it'd fit under the intake. Cleaner install, and better look. With a bit of luck, I'm hoping to have my new gas tank here next week. If I have time to wire her up over the weekend, I ***might*** be able to fire her up before the month is over :)

Attachments

#6 ·
That's cool! I had an old Manta at one point when I lived back in Sweden. I thought I had the coolest car LOL

Surprisingly, the V8 is only 50-60lbs heavier than the old cast iron 4 banger!!I found a set of fiberglass fenders, nose piece, and airdam. The stock chrome bumper alone, weighs probably 80lbs!!! Steel fenders and nose, probably another 40lbs. So all-in-all, I think she'll end up right around the stock weight of the Volvo...from factory they were 2400lbs. I know the Tr3650 is heavier than the volvo unit that came out, same goes for the rear end. So I save some, and I add some. The goal is to get her running first. THEN, I have 2 turbos sitting on the shelf that I want to install!!!! >:) Even in stock form, 8lbs/hp, is really good ratio!!!! Imagine a modest 8psi, and 450hp?! 5.3lbs/hp ***evilgrin***

[quoteDearborndreamer;8708521]Very cool ! Reminds me of a close friend years ago with a Opel Manta with a aluminum Buick V-8 Swap The Buick motor was lighter that the stock German power plant. Post up some pics along the way.[/quote]

#7 ·
Modified the dash to accept the mustang switches. Also modified the taillight housings to accept the mustang harness, and bulbs. The Volvo taillight housing only has space for 3 bulbs. I'm contemplating putting the backup light in the bumper. We'll see...

Had to make an intake pipe for her as well. Took a 3" mandrel bent pipe, cut it up, and welded in a "pie" to make it wider and fit towards the oval throttle body. Used JB weld as a bondo/filler. Sanded smooth, and painted.

Attachments

#8 ·
Love seeing stuff like this at car shows. good.gif
You staying with the stock exhaust?

#10 ·
The stock headers won't fit. I have gotten flanges made, and will weld up simple headers out of 1 5/8" mild steel. I will get it running first on just the stock setup. Once I know everything works - my turbos will go in :) I have 2 Mitsubishi TD04HL-16T units. Cool thing is, they have a straight 3" dump flange. EASY to fab up an exhaust to it. Manual wastegates, they are set for 10.5psi from factory. I'll turn them down to around 8 for starters. People get over 300hp out of these on a 2.3l 5 cylinder. So I should be good with 2 on a 4.6 :)

#9 ·
When I was in college, waaaaaay back in ~1980, one of the machine shop teachers had this old, gray, plain looking Volvo. I don't know Volvos but it was one of the funky old rounded-looking ones, probably mid 60's. The guy was pretty plain looking to, probably in his early 60's.

One day I was walking to class, and I see him putting along in his Volvo . . . then all of a sudden he rips on it and barks all 4 gears . . . I couldn't believe my eyes, it was awesome.
Turns out he had a 327 Vette engine in it.
Cool project!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.