Ford Mustang Forum banner

About brake pads

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  surdaye 
#1 ·
Hello from spain. Sorry if my English is not good.

My brakes (06GT) were pretty bad. I live in mountainous area.

In summer, driving on mountain passes, brakes vibrated and faded like crazy.

I switched to Hawk HPS pads and discs. The vibration disappeared and the fade gone (no race driving). However, the initial bit is not the best. In general, i think that the mustang GT have not the best brakes out there....(like the Audi S5 4.2 V8 of a friend)

I would ask about brake pads. Do you have refferences of Raybestos EHT, Textar, Stoptech or another inexpensive pads? Raybestos is GG (friction code). Hawks HP, etc.. have good stoping power but are for race driving and a little expensives for me (price +shipping +customs etc)

I want cold bite but also endurance in summer and mountain roads

I have just instaled Ford Racing brake lines..perhaps a light improvement, but i miss the definitive strong brakes with great cold bit.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I have Hawk ceramic pads and they work very well in the heat as well as being pretty fade resistant driving on mountain roads. They're not the best when cold but it doesn't take long to get some heat into them.

#3 ·
In my opinion, the Mustang brakes are not at the same level as those in BMW, Audi, etc. ( I had a BMW 330CI) While you can improve your brakes, and that's always a good idea, you might not get them to the same level as your friend's Audi, unless you spend a lot of money on a bigger brake upgrade, such as SVT or Brembo. The Mustang was inexpensive when new, and it was a great value, but not everything was state of the art.

Personally, I find the small rotors unattractive, and wish they were bigger, but for everyday driving, the brakes in my GT work fine.

#4 ·
I know how you feel, I have the factory 19 inch wheels that come with a 2013 V6 performance pack and the rotors just look tiny inside a 19 inch wheel. Recently I feel like my front brakes are stopping weaker than my rear ones, so I am also curious about which brake pads would be a good performer for the value.

#5 ·
Thanks.

The problem is that racing pads have low coefficient of friction at low temperatures. Even the Hawks HPS falls to 0,2 at cold temperatures, althougth in the first series of a panic stop tests (100-0mph) HPS is a good choice...

Compound Graph | Hawk Performance
Performance Brake Pads Compared: Hawk HPS, Hawk HP Plus, EBC Yellowstuff | Car and Driver Blog

I mentioned Raybestos EHT because the friction code is GG, higher than Hawk HPS, Stoptech, Akebono etc that are FF(a level less) and equal to Hawk HP (more oriented to Racing)

I have discover just now that EBC Ultimax2 has GG friction code also.

But Raybestos EHT is a new pad, and there is not many information in forums. I have seen in forums that some Raybestos EHT are made in China and others in USA.....

Someone that uses Raybestos EHT in a Mustang? are made in USA?...or that uses EBC Ultimax2?...or others pads with GG friction code?

Thanks

#7 ·
Find some sell off 4 piston Brembo Brakes and the problem will be solved. No fade during multiple high speed braking.
They are out there. I got mine for 350.00 including 4 disc and pads.

That is easily the best solution, bar none.

#9 ·
Amazing thing about this world is the ability to ship anywhere you want. Amazon shipped my Braun razor from Ireland, that was made in Germany. Got my coffee from Brazil last month...

#11 ·
Amazing thing about this world is the ability to ship anywhere you want.
That's true but heavy, bulky items are expensive to ship.
Your razor and coffee wouldn't even weigh 1lb between them whereas a pair of front rotors with calipers, brackets, hoses, and pads will weigh close to 50lb.

#10 ·
I want cold bite but also endurance in summer and mountain roads
How cold does it get where you live?

I wasn't ever very happy with the cold bite of HPS pads on the Mustang. It was a big improvement swapping up to Carbotech XP8 pads (their entry-level track pad). Strong initial bite down to at least a few degrees below zero Celsius. They do make a bit of dust and may not always be quiet if that matters, but I doubt you'll ever outgrown them in any street driving that isn't an actual organized, closed-off over-the-road race..

Essentially the same pads are available under the G-loc name, and I think the G-loc equivalent of XP8 is R8.

Norm

#12 ·
Thank you for your suggestions.

Install a Brembo brake system, or similar, now escapes my budget ( i just upgraded the suspension) . For that reason i asked about the brake pads.

Norm...where i live, the winter conditions are mostly 0-5ºC /32º-42F and is a really rainy wheather...so, if you go to 60-70mph in that conditions and you need to stop unexpectly you must trust in your wet and cold pads:wink:

I will continue the research about pads, C-Loc, (more expensive, but like Carbotech probably the way to go, Stoptech, Wilwood, Raybestos EHT and others...)

Thanks

Pd
AutoBild Magazine Picks StopTech as Best BBK in Comparison Test

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.