Ford Mustang Forum banner

Only passenger side exhaust hot. Any ideas?

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Bullitt95 
#1 ·
I went out for a drive today and came back right before it was about to storm. I let the car set for about 5 minutes then I checked my exhaust pipes to see if they had cooled off so I could put the cover on so it wouldn't get wet and when I checked only the passenger side side exhaust tip was warm. The drivers side was completely cool. Any ideas on what this is and how to fix it?

#4 ·
Next step is to raise the car, being careful to use sturdy jackstands. Then, with the engine running, get under the car, and work your way from the rear to the front, to see whether the pipes and muffler are the same temp, or different, and then to see where the change occurs.If the car has not been run much, the pipes should be cool enough to feel where the heat is.

Careful around the cats--they can be quite hot.

#5 ·
Good call.
From the OP's description, it seems that the driver's side cat could be plugged up and not allowing complete scavenging of exhaust gases to the driver's side tailpipe.

#7 ·
I went out to try it again today and had some one rev it up a little while I felt the exhaust. On the very first and second rev a it made a loud pop and then revved normally. I went out and drove and it drive fine I came back and revved it a few more times and still revved fine. The air coming out also felt more equal and both tips were hot this time. Is it possible that the revs blew out whatever blockage there was and all it good now? I'll check again tomorrow too and see how it feels

#14 ·
Any chance of a crushed pipe on the driver's side or perhaps an air leak? I would expect that a bad/plugged/disintegrating cat would throw a CEL. The back fire you heard makes me think an air leak?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.